Asmir Begovic

I agree he should have done better with first goal on Saturday. Making comments like '10m makes Ibe look cheap' is clearly just trying to get a reaction though, he has been fairly solid in general.

Begovic was expecting a far post shot for the first, not much he could do with the second, being his height has its plus and minus. Seems quite secure for corners. His save from the free kick was amazing saving a certain goal. In my opinion he is certainly worth 10 million.
I agree with SDD.

Players don’t have a say in the transfer fee agreed between teams but they do indicate a comparison between keepers on the market. He was a steal for the price we paid. With that said

No way that goal should have been scored. The angle Walcott had when he shot, there really was only one place to put it. If he had managed to curl it round to the far post and in then let’s applaud a striker for a great finish. But a keeper can’t let that much room to make the near post an option.

If Walcott had hit it in the far top corner then fair enough but to put it virtually through the keeper at his near post was bad goalkeeping

Walcott is actually pretty good at striking the ball hard and low and scoring with cross shots from similar positions, check out the first two of his three goals for England v Croatia in 2008. Ever since he scored those two goals I've noticed how he nearly always keeps the ball low.

Perhaps Begovic was playing the percentages and expecting a cross shot.

It's funny how, season after season people moan about goalies letting in 'ground' shots, even when they are not particularly well struck.

Walcott is actually pretty good at striking the ball hard and low and scoring with cross shots from similar positions, check out the first two of his three goals for England v Croatia in 2008. Ever since he scored those two goals I've noticed how he nearly always keeps the ball low.

Perhaps Begovic was playing the percentages and expecting a cross shot.

It's funny how, season after season people moan about goalies letting in 'ground' shots, even when they are not particularly well struck.

It’s a good point. I was with my son directly behind the goal and the speed with which Walcott hit the ball was quite astonishing close up. Took us completely by surprise. It was also struck close to Begovic, a little further away and he may have been able to complete a proper dive using his long reach. I’d credit Walcott with a terrific strike rather than Begovic with poor keeping.

Dragonm8 has started this season posting even dafter things than last season!

Begovic - a club at our level in the PL, probably won't find a better keeper for what we can afford to pay. He's a very, very good keeper. If he was near perfect, he would be in the first team at a Champions League club instead. As others have said, the near post 'thing' isn't always true, sometimes a ball is smashed so hard they have a micro split second to react.

Thanks for discussing the topic.
Dragon...you picked up on what can be considered a mistake ok..but you decide to do it when everyone's on a High - Cherries unbeaten after getting into best ever league position. So you came across as 'P### ing on our Bonfire' !
Every dog has its day..you'll get yours I daresay..pick the Right day!

Saw David De Gea beaten at his near post at the Euros in 2016 against Croatia - he is supposed to be one of the best in the World

He doesn't play well for his country though judging from the Euros/WC and every Spaniard I've seen comment on him.

I thought Begovic should have saved it definitely, but he made up for it with the great free kick save.

Had a really good game today. Some great saves and really good claiming from crosses too. But boy oh boy I wish he could learn to not boot the ball up field to the opposition so often.

;