Asmir Begovic

Begovic is in the studio and with Kammy being at the game yesterday we should get a decent mention.

Starts at 11.

Begovic is in the studio and with Kammy being at the game yesterday we should get a decent mention.

Starts at 11.
Thanks for the heads up BR, good analysis and what a thoroughly decent guy Asmir is.

Also GOS far better than MOTD on the key moments eg Vardy wanting the early pen and Morgan’s sending off.

Had a really good game today. Some great saves and really good claiming from crosses too. But boy oh boy I wish he could learn to not boot the ball up field to the opposition so often.
Sorry to say this is true. We give up possession at least 50% of the time when Asmir clears. This contributes significantly to a reduced possession time for us during the game.

Asmir usually goes long only when he has to - ie when the opponents have us in a full press. In these circumstances he/we would probably be quite happy with 50% retention. Please advise him on what else he should do. He seemed quite happy with the stats that were put to him during GOS. Please also advise him on what to do when we've been hemmed in trying to play out and the ball comes back to him.

Asmir usually goes long only when he has to - ie when the opponents have us in a full press. In these circumstances he/we would probably be quite happy with 50% retention. Please advise him on what else he should do. He seemed quite happy with the stats that were put to him during GOS. Please also advise him on what to do when we've been hemmed in trying to play out and the ball comes back to him.
Agree. The posts above are ridiculous. We play from the back when its possible.

Nitpicking I know, but he was very slow off his line when Vardy was claiming for the penalty through one-on-one. Had he moved earlier Vardy wouldn't have even been close to the ball.

Nitpicking I know, but he was very slow off his line when Vardy was claiming for the penalty through one-on-one. Had he moved earlier Vardy wouldn't have even been close to the ball.
honestly this thread is becoming a joke. Begovic timed the interception perfectly. He has a split second before he judges whether to move or not, and got it spot on. If he'd been too late then Vardy would have been able to go round him. He couldn't.

Funny how we all see things differently - sitting right behind it in the North Stand I thought he'd actually paused momentarily on Vardy's touch and then timed it to absolute perfection. Spent the next few minutes discussing what an outstanding piece of goalkeeping it was.

*Just seen Rob's reply - we'll obviously have to form an AB appreciation society.

It’s the same in the stadium. Whenever we do play from the back, half the NS goes berserk even if there is no danger.

Then if Begovic does just clear it, he gets stick for losing possession. I do understand fans get nervous watching us play, but it’s important that nervousness doesn’t lead to a negative atmosphere as it does affect the players

Begovic is having to become a modern keeper playing with his feet. He is getting more confident with this part of his game. Re clearing long he doesn't have a big target man to aim for ( Wood, Austin etc) so agree 50/50 retention is OK.

With £60m + keepers on show this season I reckon AB is showing up just fine!

Begovic is having to become a modern keeper playing with his feet. He is getting more confident with this part of his game. Re clearing long he doesn't have a big target man to aim for ( Wood, Austin etc) so agree 50/50 retention is OK.

With £60m + keepers on show this season I reckon AB is showing up just fine!

I haven't been measuring it, but I seriously doubt it's even close to 50%. Much of the time it's not even close to any of our players.

Begovic is definitely a decent goalkeeper, but his distribution is below par.

Sorry to say this is true. We give up possession at least 50% of the time when Asmir clears. This contributes significantly to a reduced possession time for us during the game.
How about our defenders just keep passing the ball around in our penalty box for as long as they and Asmir can until a forward finally wins the ball off them and sticks it into our net?
I know that this would count as a goal against us, but it would substantially improve our possession percentage which can only be a good thing, yes?

He will roll it out on the majority of occasions and only clear long if there is no other option open to him. He is sound and consistent in my opinion.

He’s a top keeper and made the difference today when called upon.

(Where’s badkeeper these days I wonder...)

On the subs bench .

Seriously though Asmir is quite good enough for us . He’s not a top six keeper but he’s well worth what we paid and Boruc is great to have as backup ... would be nice to see the other guy ( can’t remember his name ) have a crack in the league cup though .

He’s had four really good games for us and one poorish one this season.

That is more than good enough.

It's been a while since I've seen too many questions of him on here and badkeeper seems to have disappeared into the ether. However, I still think it's worth saying... what a brilliant signing he has turned out to be! Really making a contribution and I don't think anyone could reasonably claim anymore we would have been better off sticking with Boruc as first choice.

;