Atmosphere

Just heard the Library in full voice with their new anthem. That's all we need something like that to build the atmosphere.

True an extent... I would wager that a lot of the folks in the NS have been there for a considerable time. The middle section is strangely by far the worst... As soon as the players are on the field, it's like people are scared their seat is gonna get cold again if they don't sit on it quickly... You also used to see 85% of the NS rise up to applaud players for substitutions... Now it is just a ripple of fans that do it...Very rarely do you see people stand up and stay stood up for exciting moments of play... Corners etc. when we're in the ascendancy...

I don't know if it is because folks have just got older, or as I mentioned above, more lethargic and less caring, or if it is as you say, that they are people that have been placed somewhere they would rather not be...

I just know something needs to change as DC is worse than a library at times now. I cringe when the post match interviewer asks Iraola et al about the fans and they say 'Oh they've been incredible...'... Really... Have we really!!!?!?!??!
Dare I say that some of it could be that a lot of fans don’t have a connection with some of our players Coe think they’ve been up to much ? Hence not much reaction to the subs ?
Also , with our current woeful attacking play and set piece ability there isn’t much to get out of your seat for .

Watching some of the CL games over the last few weeks has really highlighted our plight... I know it's a lot easier when you've 60k fans, but Newcastle really showed that fans in this country can make an awesome atmosphere... You just need fans, players, club, manager all united together to try and achieve this unity... Something we are clearly struggling with at the moment...

The atmosphere at Lens (v Arsenal) was also incredible...

As mentioned many a time before, it really does require everyone to be on board. I think managers, and sometimes players, underestimate how a simple fist pump, or gesture of enthusiasm towards fans, gets them going... As a fan all anyone wants to see and needs is a bit of passion...

Case in point, Dan Burn, Bruno, Anthony Gordon, all making challenges and getting up screaming and gesturing the crowd... Simple, but it keeps things very noisy for longer and helps let the crowd know they are needed...

We're currently getting very little feedback from anyone on the pitch atm and Iraola is clearly not bothered by fan interaction one bit (which I have say is slightly dissapoiting)... So the million dollar question is where do we go from here...?
Watch our old Eddie-era DVDs with the sound turned up …

I think we’ve shown there are many contributing factors to why the atmosphere was often poor and why it is now always poor.

Some of it, indeed a lot of it can be fixed in a new ground. Safe standing, an allocated “noisy” section, acoustics of the ground if designed right etc.

But also an atmosphere has to be organic, it needs to establish itself naturally, to grow and establish itself. It can’t be manufactured by loud music and promo videos.
I half agree half don’t. The atmosphere at Goodison is always electric and certainly was off the scale in May and it’s all led by recorded music.

We should have Sweet Molly Malone or something historic. All the clubs that have great atmosphere do it with a historic song sang by grandad to son to grandson. They don’t have the Sandman or Kanye West.

I half agree half don’t. The atmosphere at Goodison is always electric and certainly was off the scale in May and it’s all led by recorded music.

We should have Sweet Molly Malone or something historic. All the clubs that have great atmosphere do it with a historic song sang by grandad to son to grandson. They don’t have the Sandman or Kanye West.

An historic song is established over time, it’s organic, it just happens. It’s not forced at 140 db.

It would be lovely to have “an anthem”, but we don’t.

They tried “Hey Jude”, we’ve sung that for a while, it half worked, then they stopped it and tried something else.

An historic song is established over time, it’s organic, it just happens. It’s not forced at 140 db.

It would be lovely to have “an anthem”, but we don’t.

They tried “Hey Jude”, we’ve sung that for a while, it half worked, then they stopped it and tried something else.
Yes but I’m sure if we persevered Sweet Molly Malone might work? Maybe I’m just old :grinning:

Also all the big teams force their songs at 140 db and it works

Just heard the Library in full voice with their new anthem. That's all we need something like that to build the atmosphere.

That North London Forever song is utter shite. The son of the woman from Birds of a Feather pretending he's working class? No thanks.

That North London Forever song is utter shite. The son of the woman from Birds of a Feather pretending he's working class? No thanks.
No I didn't mean we need that song. We just don't need all the crap that's being foisted on us pre match. The atmosphere starts to build towards kick off and suddenly it all slows down so that a trumpet can be played. Now that's utter shite.

No I didn't mean we need that song. We just don't need all the crap that's being foisted on us pre match. The atmosphere starts to build towards kick off and suddenly it all slows down so that a trumpet can be played. Now that's utter shite.

Yeah not really disagreeing with your point I just have an irrational dislike of that guy and his shitty song.

I honestly cannot see what the pre match problem is. We generally arrive 60 minutes before the game and I enjoy speaking to mates/fans about the line up, usually watch the end of the televised game and go up into the stand and enjoy the build up. I must just be easily pleased or something.

Its not just the club to blame. Many will clap to the GE or chant 'so good' to Sweet Caroline' and then just sit down for the rest of the day.
I rarely sense a buzz outside the ground either - perhaps a case of many of our fan base going through the motions at home games.

;