Away support

Who are the "Football spotters?"

More importantly, I would like to know the attendances for each of Boscombe's away matches last season.

That's not strictly accurate Derek, people with no points won't get tickets for Saints, Brighton or the big London clubs away. I'm one of those people who does pick and choose what away games I do and I rarely go north of Birmingham anymore but I feel I have the right to do that because I was there doing the dirty northern trips in L2 like Scunthorpe and Lincoln and I don't care what people think as you well know.

That's not strictly accurate Derek, people with no points won't get tickets for Saints, Brighton or the big London clubs away. I'm one of those people who does pick and choose what away games I do and I rarely go north of Birmingham anymore but I feel I have the right to do that because I was there doing the dirty northern trips in L2 like Scunthorpe and Lincoln and I don't care what people think as you well know.

I reckon only Saints falls into that category and that one came so late in the season that you should have been easily have been able to get the three or four points needed over two seasons. Maybe Watford.

I'm not sure any other games didn't go to general sale.

Average away following of 1600 mostly regulars.

Half the time we request only the half allocation of 1500 or so.

Still rather hard to break into the points club unless you're prepared to go well up north right off the bat. Anyone wanting to dip thier toe into a first away games in London will sttuggle.

Still rather hard to break into the points club unless you're prepared to go well up north right off the bat. Anyone wanting to dip thier toe into a first away games in London will sttuggle.
This is true. I believe some clubs have asked that we don't put their games to general sale (Chelsea?) to prevent ticket touting.

Its great going up north. Eg Newcastle is a great city - love going there. Definitely worth a weekend visit for those who haven't been. I have really enjoyed seeing other parts of England (and Whales). Have had to sacrifice proper holidays though (not enough cash) - but has been worth it. Looking forward to Cardiff next season.

Its great going up north. Eg Newcastle is a great city - love going there. Definitely worth a weekend visit for those who haven't been. I have really enjoyed seeing other parts of England (and Whales). Have had to sacrifice proper holidays though (not enough cash) - but has been worth it. Looking forward to Cardiff next season.

Spent the night in Cardiff for our game there in the Championship winning season, it's well worth doing.

I don't think they will. Even Chelsea that was prevented from going to general sale went down to one or even zero points I believe. Apparently we didn't sell 200 of the smaller allocation. I think all other London Games went to general sale didn't they? Maybe Wembley didn't but that was an exceptional case.

How many people actually tried to get tickets but couldn't get them?

The novelty of being int e PL has well and truly worn offer and I doubt we'll see the averages change too much next year... However, it does show that we have at least increased our support from being in the PL... 1600, for a club of our size its till not too bad... I don't know what our average away was like in the Championship mind...?

I'm pretty sure most games went to GS last season, as folk are now being more selective with their away games, as most will have 'ticked off' the ones they wanted, a couple of years back, and I count myself as one of these folk.

Now... I'll just go back to my 7-9 awaydays per season. Looking forward to Wolves and hopefully Fulham next year :)

Living in Manchester I ONLY go to away matches. (0 points for home matches) My son and I clocked up 16 matches each this year (others missed due to holidays, Brighton being on News Years Day and Chelsea being a midweek match) and have a) found it easy to get tickets now (after a very difficult 1st season) b) enjoyed the atmosphere at all the matches. The lesson we learned is that you need a 2 season plan at the beginning. If you plan ahead and go to the games you can get into in season 1 you will be able to get to any away game you want by season 2.

:utc:

So after everyone going the first season on the basis of we might not ever get the chance again it has settled to about 1600 per game for the last 2 seasons. Thats pretty good really I think. As supporters we have further than most teams to travel and with the timings of games I think our support has been good.
First season I did them all inc Man Utd twice ! The last two seasons it has been 10 and 9 respectively (plus Chelsea in the cup this year). Probably be about the same next season. a weekend away in Newcastle is already pencilled in.

Newcastle is indeed a great place for a weekend and we have won the last two up there!

But the serious point is how much EXTRA the PL costs to travel away.

One of the biggest factors is waiting for kick-off time and day to be confirmed.

I compared the weekend going to see Sunderland in 2016/17 with the Newcastle weekend in 2017/18. As I stayed in Newcastle for Sunderland and bought a day ticket for the the metro, it was more or less the same trip, same number of nights, food costs, etc. But the cost was almost 50% higher. Why? Because I had to wait closer to the day for the fixtures to come out. The fares had gone up, the hotels were more expensive.

For those who say, buy re-bookable tickets and changable hotels. Well, those tickets cost more in the first place and you still have to pay the difference between the original fare and the current fare, if there is one (and there almost always is). So that is no answer.

Sometimes kick off changes make travel impossible or difficult anyway. The return coach trip to Liverpool from leaving Poole to getting back again was 20-something hours.

I missed Fulham away in the promotion season because I simply could not afford a new ticket when it was switched late in the day to Friday night and I was looking forward to swanning into London on Saturday morning.

The biggest irony, perhaps, is that one of the cheapest trips of the PL seasons so far was getting home after the Old Trafford inept bomb-scare thingy and immediately getting a very cheap trip back.

Sitting at home watching on the interweb is no substitute for being there, but I don't blame anyone who cuts down their travel on cost grounds. I have had to think hard and long about attending some fixtures and I will continue to be forced to do so.

Agree 100% Eric, changes for TV are a nightmare and when you get the Grand National on the same w/end as Liverpool away hotels are like gold dust and cost the same.

Yeah for all the talk about ticket prices its not really a deal breaker. It'd be nice to only pay £20, but if you are committing to all the travel costs, most of us would pay the £30.

I know there has been talk of football rail tickets which are valid should the match get re-arranged. I can't see our rip-off rail companies ever agreeing to this and often rail travel isn't an option for Bournemouth based fans due to all the engineering works.

I'm not really sure what the solution is. More and more matches are going to get moved for TV so its only going to get worse. Hope we don't end up like Spain where away fans are virtually non-existent because of the crazy kick off times.

;