badkeeper

He had a bad game, if Boruc had a game like that those errors would be brought up for years to come.

Unfortunately it's not the first time I've said something similar this season, but that's already forgotten which kind of explains the point.

It's not about being a "Begovic hater" or anything like that either. Feel free to use the search function and show me where I didn't back his signing?

Can someone list the mistakes directly leading to goals for me please? I honestly don't remember many at all. Certainly not as many as I remember with Boruc anyway.

Just going to leave these Begovic/Boruc threads here...

http://www.afcb.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=82126&start=1&highlight=Begovic+Boruc+error&highlightmode=1

http://www.afcb.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=80958&start=1&highlight=Begovic+Boruc+38&highlightmode=1

USCherry - 25/2/2018 02:48

West Moors Cherry - 24/2/2018 16:01

USCherry - 24/2/2018 17:34

In all seriousness, we are 28 games into the season and I can't remember one time when I thought I am glad we have Begovic in goal. Not saying he has had a bad season, but I was expecting him to have a least one game where he basically got us a point or three. I guess there was the Palace penalty save, but I a talking about a game where he was making save after save. Like Boruc against Man U last season.

I was hoping for a minimum 7/10 per game calibre player like Ake, and we got is someone about as good as Boruc, but younger and still prone to the odd mistake

Completely disagree. Would be easily in my top 3 players for us this season. 2 bad games in a season I can deal with no problem. Still a country mile ahead of Boruc.
please let me know which games you think he actually stood out. FYI i don’t think he had a bad season so far but an experienced premier league goalkeeper I would expect no errors. Although we could blame Neil Moss.

Off the top he was error prone today, West Ham at home, Chelsea at home and some might argue he was at fault for the pen at palace.

Let’s put the comparison to Buruc aside. What I struggle with is is he a shot stopper. If so, when has he shown that?. Does he command the defence or his own box? Is his distribution great? He is good but not great. What was you expectation when he joined?

Sorry I've only just replied US, been at work all day!

My expectation when he signed was that he'd be a better keeper than Artur and he is without doubt.

He has had two horrendous games vs West Ham and Newcastle but who doesn't. I don't expect players to be perfect, they are human. When Lewis Cook makes a mistake we lose possession maybe, when ou keeper makes a mistake we concede a goal 7 times out of 10 maybe.

I only judge on all round play and Begovic is a big upgrade for me on Boruc and this from someone who voted Boruc player of last season. He has made some outstanding saves this season when players have been one on one with him and I'd be surprised if many on here don't have him figuring in their top 3 players of the season. For me, Asmir, Ake and Lewis Cook have been far and away the best three players of this season so far and the first two have been responsible for us not taking drubbings on a few occasions this season IMO

USCherry - 24/2/2018 17:34

In all seriousness, we are 28 games into the season and I can't remember one time when I thought I am glad we have Begovic in goal. Not saying he has had a bad season, but I was expecting him to have a least one game where he basically got us a point or three. I guess there was the Palace penalty save, but I a talking about a game where he was making save after save. Like Boruc against Man U last season.

I was hoping for a minimum 7/10 per game calibre player like Ake, and we got is someone about as good as Boruc, but younger and still prone to the odd mistake

totally agree, hasn't done badly but somehow expected more

Has Begovich improved during his time with us, stayed roughly the same or gone downhill??

Must be about time to blame Neil Moss and the goalkeeping coaching. :hihi:

Personally I think he's done ok but certainly doesn't look a better keeper than Boruc was in his prime.

Begovic had a poor game generally, and dropped one clear clanger for me with the second goal. Other Begovic clangers this season - the slip against West Ham, Any others? I can't think of any.

A game he basically got us a point or three - Crystal Palace away? Doesn't get much better for a keeper than a stoppage time penalty save.

Has he improved/stayed the same/got worse? Probably stayed the same I think? Maybe still early to judge, looking back on a full season might be better.

We know Boruc dropped 2-3 clangers per season with us, but the argument went he made enough top class saves to make up for it.

I feel happier with Begovic because for me is seems more consistent. Boruc on his day, brilliant. Just too moody though, you never knew what goalkeeper you were going to have turn up, when it would be a quiet solid day, or when he'd be taking all sorts of silly risks.

Boruc has been in demob mode for the last 12 months anyway, so it's rather moot.

the worry for me with Boruc would be that if he came back in he would know it would only be for a few games and his contract is up at the end of the season and he knows he will not get a new one.
I just don't see him getting motivated - just moody.

paul49 - 26/2/2018 14:40

How would our crowd react to this one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43187129

If it was Begovic then it would just be an unfortunate mistake that can happen to anyone.

in terms of shot stopping and distribution I don't think there's much between them, probably marginally Begovich for me. But Begovich is ten times better at coming for crosses and controlling his 6 yard box

My original question wasn’t really about Boruc. I don’t think there is going to be a change between the sticks now unless injury or a severe drop off in form happens. I think New Forest Cherry put it much more succinctly

“hasn't done badly but somehow expected more”

drd - 26/2/2018 15:34

in terms of shot stopping and distribution I don't think there's much between them, probably marginally Begovich for me.

Begovic is better with the ball at his feet than Boruc ever was. The problem is because he's better the players are happier to play the easy ball back to him. That makes it feel like he has it more often and due to that has more chances to make an error.

Shotstopping Boruc pulling off some stunning saves and is naturally a better shot stopper.

drd - 26/2/2018 15:34

Begovich is ten times better at coming for crosses and controlling his 6 yard box

There wasn't a huge amount of evidence of that on Saturday...he wasn't overly great at commanding his line let alone the six yard box.

In general yes, he's better, ten times better is overstating it though.

I have will no comment on Begovic . There is no need for it .
He will never get his song or pictures on city walls .

My view: Boruc has been a top class keeper throughout his career at every club he's played for. While also being quite capable of huge clangers. As others have said, you are not sure what you would be getting at times. He will go down as an AFCB hero for his time here.

Begovic has been very good for us overall, every keeper makes mistakes [ see Butland on Saturday, I would have him as England number one and there he is, throwing the ball into the net! ]. Saturday was a bad day for him but we can count his poor performances on the fingers of one hand.

We also have to consider - a club at our level will struggle to find a perfect player in any position. The very best players go to the very best clubs, in general. We will never find a keeper that is perfect! But I do feel Begovic is on a par with about 75% of PL keepers, so we are lucky to have him.

There seems to be a myth that Boruc was bad at coming for crosses and didn't dominate his box. Bulls***. Actually watch some of our games back and you'll see this is a fabrication. The amount of times we were holding on to a lead, and he'd come right to catch crosses. Honestly. The problem was, he had a tendency to drop the ball after coming for it.

I've seen no evidence that Begovic dominates his area; considering his height he might actually be worse at this than Boruc. Begovic is a much more consistent shot-stopper though, and for that reason alone I prefer him.

afcb.czech - 26/2/2018 14:51

paul49 - 26/2/2018 14:40

How would our crowd react to this one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43187129

If it was Begovic then it would just be an unfortunate mistake that can happen to anyone.

Are you suggesting some players mistakes are ignored on this board and they get away with a lot. Hmmmm....

Not sure where I heard it, but it was on the same night of the Huddersfield game and it was pointed out that Begovic had a weak spot which was low down on his near post which Huddersfield were exploiting, then again against Newcastle it was low crosses, maybe other teams have done their homework and we'll see more of this?

;