Battling Bournemouth hold their own against Baggie bruisers

Good write up Waz and agree with your player ratings...

It was a very promising start with a very inexperienced side against probably the best and strongest side in the division...

A few additions from injured players returning and incoming players and we will def be in the mix come the end of the campaign...

One thing that pleased me was the levels of intensity throughout... There was nothing in what I saw last night that makes me think 'Parker-ball' will be pedestrian and boring...

Liked what I saw last night but expecting more to come...

One thing that pleased me was the levels of intensity throughout... There was nothing in what I saw last night that makes me think 'Parker-ball' will be pedestrian and boring...

As I tried to ask the Fulham fans who visited the site, was the “Parker-ball” that they saw born out of necessity or design? It sounded like his attacking options were particularly limited.

He’s got the opposite here as we have attacking options but are weaker defensively.

Player ratings
Travers- 5 has all the attributes to be a top goal keeper in the future, but isn’t ready to be starting at this level yet. Looked very vulnerable whenever the ball was played into the penalty area, there were a number of occasions in which our back line really could have done with him relieving a bit of pressure by coming out and clearing everything before him. Was very lucky that the referee incorrectly disallowed the goal in the first half, as he appeared to collide with Billing and hit the deck. Currently not able to command his area well enough to be first choice.
Zemura- 7 very promising display considering it was his first ever league start. Always provided an outlet going forward and a lovely underlapping run for the second goal. Was a bit worried about him defensively but he stood up to the test in that department. Was beaten at the far post for the first goal but it’s hard to be critical of him for this as he can’t help the fact that he’s about four foot tall. He was quite rash with some of his defending at times but often his pace allowed him to recover the situation.
Smith- 6 looked a bit vulnerable defensively early on but grew into the game. Always up and down and some nice underlapping runs to link up with Brooks. Solid but unspectacular display.
Kelly- 7.5 took on a leadership role and looked very composed throughout. The ideal centre back to be playing when you want your back four to hold a high line. Did however lose his man for the second goal, a tad harsh perhaps to highlight in an otherwise faultless performance.
Mepham- 7 pretty solid. Did the basics well. Cleared his lines when he had to, battled for everything and made a couple of nice interceptions. Can do a job at this level when he focuses on the basics of defending.
Kilkenny- 8 in patches put in the complete midfielders performance. Excellent range of passing, exceptional work rate and retrieved possession on numerous occasions. Was unable to sustain it for the entire game but it was his first league start against probably the toughest opponent he could face at this level, so let’s cut him some slack for that. At times plays like a senior pro, very classy on the ball.
Billing- 7 although not his most impactful game on the ball, he did play an important role in pulling opposition players out of position and creating space for his team mates. Involved in both goals and played a peach of a cross that nearly led to a third. Seems to really be enjoying his football, work rate was spot on.
Marcondes- 7.5 I get the feeling this guy is going to be huge for us this season. He has that knack of perfectly timing his late runs into the penalty area, as demonstrated by the goal. Always felt like something would happen when he was on the ball in and around the area. Used the ball well and made some very intelligent runs, looks like a top signing.
Brooks- 6 the least effective if the attacking quintet. Best work came when threading passes through to the underlapping smith. Was not able to impact the game as he would have liked but was still very unlucky not to get in the scoresheet. More to come from him I hope.
Anthony- 7.5 a very intriguing player. Most young wide players will look to take on their full back at any given opportunity, for Anthony his natural inclination is to try and find a team mate. A lovely intelligent cut back for the first goal and a truly sublime reverse ball to JZ in the build up to the second. His ability to spot a pass and weight it perfectly at the right time really is quite impressive. He can make a big impact this season.
Solanke- 6.5 battled manfully against three giant centre backs. Provided a threat in behind and brought others into play nicely at times. Lovely skill in the build up to the Brooks chance (although the ball did quite clearly go out of play) and had a decent effort to win it when played through on the angle. A decent showing.

I broadly agree with the narrative as a good summary but I’m not sure the scores match the words. But hey ho, we did alright.
We were always going bro get a defensive free kick from the corner when they put the ball in the net. The ref had words with them about pushing before it was taken. Only one of two things happen then, absolute clean winner into the back of the net from an unmarked player or defensive free kick once it’s in the mixer. Seems to happen all he rime.

Player ratings
Travers- 5 has all the attributes to be a top goal keeper in the future, but isn’t ready to be starting at this level yet. Looked very vulnerable whenever the ball was played into the penalty area, there were a number of occasions in which our back line really could have done with him relieving a bit of pressure by coming out and clearing everything before him. Was very lucky that the referee incorrectly disallowed the goal in the first half, as he appeared to collide with Billing and hit the deck. Currently not able to command his area well enough to be first choice.
Zemura- 7 very promising display considering it was his first ever league start. Always provided an outlet going forward and a lovely underlapping run for the second goal. Was a bit worried about him defensively but he stood up to the test in that department. Was beaten at the far post for the first goal but it’s hard to be critical of him for this as he can’t help the fact that he’s about four foot tall. He was quite rash with some of his defending at times but often his pace allowed him to recover the situation.
Smith- 6 looked a bit vulnerable defensively early on but grew into the game. Always up and down and some nice underlapping runs to link up with Brooks. Solid but unspectacular display.
Kelly- 7.5 took on a leadership role and looked very composed throughout. The ideal centre back to be playing when you want your back four to hold a high line. Did however lose his man for the second goal, a tad harsh perhaps to highlight in an otherwise faultless performance.
Mepham- 7 pretty solid. Did the basics well. Cleared his lines when he had to, battled for everything and made a couple of nice interceptions. Can do a job at this level when he focuses on the basics of defending.
Kilkenny- 8 in patches put in the complete midfielders performance. Excellent range of passing, exceptional work rate and retrieved possession on numerous occasions. Was unable to sustain it for the entire game but it was his first league start against probably the toughest opponent he could face at this level, so let’s cut him some slack for that. At times plays like a senior pro, very classy on the ball.
Billing- 7 although not his most impactful game on the ball, he did play an important role in pulling opposition players out of position and creating space for his team mates. Involved in both goals and played a peach of a cross that nearly led to a third. Seems to really be enjoying his football, work rate was spot on.
Marcondes- 7.5 I get the feeling this guy is going to be huge for us this season. He has that knack of perfectly timing his late runs into the penalty area, as demonstrated by the goal. Always felt like something would happen when he was on the ball in and around the area. Used the ball well and made some very intelligent runs, looks like a top signing.
Brooks- 6 the least effective if the attacking quintet. Best work came when threading passes through to the underlapping smith. Was not able to impact the game as he would have liked but was still very unlucky not to get in the scoresheet. More to come from him I hope.
Anthony- 7.5 a very intriguing player. Most young wide players will look to take on their full back at any given opportunity, for Anthony his natural inclination is to try and find a team mate. A lovely intelligent cut back for the first goal and a truly sublime reverse ball to JZ in the build up to the second. His ability to spot a pass and weight it perfectly at the right time really is quite impressive. He can make a big impact this season.
Solanke- 6.5 battled manfully against three giant centre backs. Provided a threat in behind and brought others into play nicely at times. Lovely skill in the build up to the Brooks chance (although the ball did quite clearly go out of play) and had a decent effort to win it when played through on the angle. A decent showing.
Thanks for the report, agree with much of it, the youngsters did really well, particularly impressed with Kilkenny. Felt you were a bit hard on Travers though, whoever we had in goal, they were going to bombard him with crosses.

Travers needs games and experience. Shame he didnt get that at Swindon last season.

Decent performance last night against a physically stronger team. Yes, we struggled at times, not unexpectedly given the side we put out.. Jaidon Anthony looking good, Zemura will I think grow into the season if he gets plenty of game time. Prefer him at LB instead of Smudge when Stacey gets fit again. Kilkenny coming of age, some wonderful passes, one or two moments of naivety getting caught in possession trying to do a little too much. Was worried about Meps' early and needless booking but he did well in the end.

PLenty to be positive about with Cook S&L /Lerma / Pearson / Danjuma still to come back assuming the latter stays.

It’s weird but given the context of the draw, I’m almost as happy with that result than if we’d had a full strength team and won. It’s probably the proudest I’ve been of the team as a whole since some of the more landmark PL wins.

Excited to see what we look like with everyone fit.

It’s weird but given the context of the draw, I’m almost as happy with that result than if we’d had a full strength team and won. It’s probably the proudest I’ve been of the team as a whole since some of the more landmark PL wins.

Excited to see what we look like with everyone fit.
We may not have won but it was one of the most enjoyable performances I can remember in a very long time.

Player ratings

fair marks .

I would add for the first goal and Zemura. He was left with 2 players . He went towards the danger man, the guy closest to the goal, which is the correct thing to do , but exposed 2 v 1.

he was very rash defending but attacking wise will be a threat

The first season in the championship with Eddie saw us looking very vulnerable for a number of games. We looked far worse than we did last night.
Just checked. We got 13 points from our first 10 games that season, conceding 22 goals.

It's also worth pointing out that Zemura has massive boots to fill. We've never really gotten over the loss of Daniels, who truly was the standard bearer for modern AFCB left backs. He's clearly got the attacking nous of Daniels but at his age it is going to take a while to get up to speed on the defensive side though I couldn't really fault his application and enthusiasm yesterday. Rico, although a lovely bloke, you would often see his head go down in games when things weren't working out for him. He wouldn't go missing necessarily, but watching his confidence erode over 90 mins was disconcerting at times.

fair marks .

I would add for the first goal and Zemura. He was left with 2 players . He went towards the danger man, the guy closest to the goal, which is the correct thing to do , but exposed 2 v 1.

he was very rash defending but attacking wise will be a threat

Pleased with the point and very pleased with the performance. That result and ability to stand up to WB, and at times impose our style of play, should do wonders for all those young players confidence and add some real competition and depth to the squad once the more senior players return. With the possibility of a new signing or two not shaping up too bad it would seem.

Still find Billing a bit of an enigma! This is no put down but I would love to know his ‘natural’ position so we can play him there and he can become a super hero .:batman:

Hard on travers and Smith IMO but overall agree with the rest.interesting to see going forward how many youngsters continue to play when the senior pros return

I thought it was a great performance by a young team.

You could tell that Zemura and Anthony had played together many times. They had a real understanding that echoed Daniels and Pugh in their prime. Defensively JZ dangles his foot at the ball rather than playing through it, but that can be coached out of him.

Kilkenny was very good, particularly in the first half. Kelly was also impressive, even when he fucked it up because he has pace and good powers of recovery. On Friday Mepham played like a man with a point to prove, and I hope he continues to do so.

Anthony can weight a pass as well as anyone I have ever seen play.

I also love the fluidity of Billing/Marcondes/Brooks arriving in the penalty area for cut backs and crosses, and the way that Solanke disrupts the central defensive shape.

Sure we need some extra depth in the squad, and we may not storm the league, but I am looking forward to cheering on this group of players. Plus, we have the most dapper manager in the league. What’s not to love?

Hard on travers and Smith IMO but overall agree with the rest.interesting to see going forward how many youngsters continue to play when the senior pros return
Virtually everyone I’ve spoken to who watched the game has said that Travers didn’t do nearly enough to command his area, he looked incredibly vulnerable. He’s not quite up to it yet unfortunately and will cost us goals if we continue to play him. The club know this too, hence why they are trying to bring in a goal keeper.

here's something I never thought I'd say.....thought david button looked ok, and he may be surplus to requirements at west brom soon. could it happen?!

PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE can we get an experienced keeper in quickly. Even if Travers gets better as the season goes on we can't afford to take chances and get cut adrift from the promotion places. Saying that, Travers has a good keeper inside him, he just needs time and confidence.

Thanks for report, agree with most.

Think very harsh on Travers and generous on Kilkenny.

On the disallowed goal, the replay clearly showed a weak push in the back by WBA player, but more importantly, where is the defender who should be marking the player in the middle. I would say that Kelly looks individually good but if he is captain he needs to take as much responsibility for organising and commanding the area. He can start by sending 2 of ours , Brooks and Kilkenny up the field at corners, reducing the congestion that hampers the keeper. On the first goal, it's a perfect downward header, textbook, to give the goalie no chance, again as a result of poor defending. We don't lack height but certain players jump under the ball, notably Billing. Bad midfield tackling and no closing down caused the 2nd, giving Travers no chance.

Don't get me wrong, I expect these mistakes all season long, from every team. We just need to make fewer and force more ourselves, but we shouldn't indiscriminately choose to highlight some and ingnore others to suit our narrative.

Probably all the scores Friday should be between 6.5 and 7.5, plus it's rare to say it, but there probably wasn't a stand out player who earned man of the match, fitting for an entertaining draw after an all around good but not great team performance. Kilkenny did well but not so flawless that he gets an 8 - he has to be judged by same standards as any other player - had that been Lewis Cook, I have no doubt that exact same performance would have unfairly been given a 6, for not averting their 2nd and other losses in possession. For me a good 7 with reasons to believe he can maintain and build on it.

It was above all a pleasing performance, reasons to be optimistic regardless of comings and goings that should only improve us. I am also glad I don't have to watch WBA all season.

;