Benik Afobe

They scored 82 goals in winning the championship .....not that exciting is it?.............anyway they seemed to have solved any goal scoring problems now.

I don’t know what’s happened to Afobe. I remember he was highly thought of at Arsenal (but was then released) and his pace and finishing at MK Dons made him stand out.

He since seems to have lost both the pace and the finishing from his game which is why he’s not really come good (yet or maybe never).

Either way I wish him the best as he scored some key goals for the Championship promotion campaign and always worked hard (despite some saying not).

I wish only the best for Benik, but like Rantie,Murray and to some extent King and Defoe Eddie doesn't always seem to get the very best out of his strikers? Maybe we need an attacking coach at the club who can advise and influence Eddie better?

Rantie had pace and some good ball control skills, but we never used him in that way through the middle of attack, same with Afobe he was always drifting wide, yet when he was a target man in the middle he did better?

Murray was sometimes played up top on his own and he couldn't link up with those around him, yet at Brighton he is a target man who can finish in the box with good precision.

We have Defoe who doesn't get the service his skill demands to be prolific. Josh King who was our most dangerous striker is now playing behind the striker to accommodate Wilson in the team, again not his strength?

It is something that Howe needs to fix for the new season IMO...

Its not really to do with attack coaching. Its just that we simply have too many strikers who all want to play in the same position.

When any player is constantly in and out of the side or not in their favourite position its difficult for them, but this is especially true for forwards where sharpness is everything.

Pleased it's happened for player & us.
Strange but he always seemed to have real difficulty in striking the ball sweetly, even in warm ups he didn't appear to be confident/relaxed/good enough to time things properly.

Pleased it's happened for player & us.
Strange but he always seemed to have real difficulty in striking the ball sweetly, even in warm ups he didn't appear to be confident/relaxed/good enough to time things properly.

Agree. I can't put my finger on why Afobe never really looked like a confident goal scorer. But, as with Rantie, there is a player with huge potential who did not manage much for us. Like Murray, Afobe scored a few vital goals, but you could never think that Afobe would get to double figures, let alone 20.

Last edited:
He didn't look like he fit in particularly well at all in the Championship games I saw last season. He scored goals for them but he never looked like he was part of the free-flowing football. I think he'll struggle next season.

Well this is good news inasmuch as it's part of the solution of our striker problem, i.e., that we have too many strikers.
Getting Afobe off the sheet in a mutually agreeable deal is an important step.
Now to sort out who to play out of Defoe, Wilson, King, Mousset . . .

Well this is good news inasmuch as it's part of the solution of our striker problem, i.e., that we have too many strikers.
Getting Afobe off the sheet in a mutually agreeable deal is an important step.
Now to sort out who to play out of Defoe, Wilson, King, Mousset . . .
We haven't sold Lewis yet.

;