Bill Foley winning mentality

a sign of genius, or desperation?
Does it have to fall into two extremes?

We signed 8 players, 2 with short term injuries and we still have the players who kept us up last season. Are the histrionics really necessary?

All these players go through medicals so it's not like they're complete unknowns and the like of Adams had a time limited release clause. Jackson has a relapse on his knee and the narrative turns on its head again.

You've overpaid for any injured player who signs until they've proved their fitness.

Once injured, future fitness isn't guaranteed.

So it's clearly a Vegas type gamble.

You will argue the point, but signing injured talent has no guarantee of success, it's clearly a gamble.

Why do you care? It’s not your money. There is no risk or downside to you.

Just watch the football, enjoy (or not) those 90 mins, and move on until the next game.

The amount of time, frustration and mental angst put into things which you neither control or are affected by must be exhausting.

Over paid then.

Nobody was signed on the cheap.

Traore 20 million
Semenyo 10 million
Scott 25 million
Adams 20 million
Outtara 15 million

What was Jackson available for, given he looks like a proper striker?

Maybe we have signed players in the hope they come good.

Just like Fredericks
I agree with all the signing apart from the Fredericks one, he was a signing before the change of ownership, the club would have known of his injury history and could have passed him by. My thoughts are we need players at the time and club owner did not want to spend big and also I think he was friends with the four strip cardigan wearing man

Not sure about all this ...

The club didn't sign 'this Jackson'...that Jackson what scores goals ..
..what because they didn't listen to the Forum...oh dear....
The ' Forum Expert cliques Aka the ' Pseudo Recruitment Team' speculations ignored !

...before I mess the thread up totally I will see how the players we've signed, get on against Spurs....'getting on' ( the field) being the operative thingy irrespective of how 'cheap' they are... Cheap ? ...f√ck me Batman...cheap ?

...gee you guys..before we even consider Bill Foley's 'winning mentality'...that being something you assume considering he is American .. uh hu ?

Now then...we don't know yet if My Iraola is going to , or not ..bring out any missing ingredient from Lewis Cooks game. ..that could be quite something ...or from Dom Solanke's game...around October we might have some answers....and it's encouraging that Billing is staying.

That's enough ' drivel' from me for now..

Up the Cheapies....sorry.... Cherries !

Last edited:
It's a football forum, to promote football discussions.

Original post questioned whether it was a sign of genius or incompetence.

The question can't be answered now, but at least it garnered some opinions.

I'm sure all the signings will come right eventually.

But, it's surely a risk to sign major signings who are injured.

Jackson, who we refused to sign, because of his injury, looks to be an almost complete forward.

Hell we almost signed the Italian injured player, who we knew was injured before the medical.

When he turned up and his knee was dangling between his fibia and tibia with a piece of tooth floss we pulled the pin.

I know you can sign injured players more cheaply than fit players, but it seems we have gone all in on this philosophy.

Let's hope it all works out.

It's a football forum, to promote football discussions.

Original post questioned whether it was a sign of genius or incompetence.

The question can't be answered now, but at least it garnered some opinions.

I'm sure all the signings will come right eventually.

Jackson, who we refused to sign, because of his injury, looks to be an almost complete forward.

Hell we almost signed the Italian injured player, who we knew was injured before the medical.

When he turned up and his knee was dangling between his fibia and tibia with a piece of tooth floss we pulled the pin.

I know you can sign injured players more cheaply than fit players, but it seems we have gone all in on this philosophy.

Let's hope it all works out.
So now your saying we signed them on the cheap again, not overpaid. Scott is £25m with add ons, you think that's on the cheap?

As its been said over and over, all signings carry risk. Is the risk greater on a player with short term injury, possibly, but with the medical facilities in place now and the new guy in place, I would hope that the risk is mitigated.

Not sure what your point over Castrovilli is, we pulled the plug when we knew the severity, something which could only be known at the time of the medical.

Jackson's case was different, it's been gone over and over, not sure it needs debating again and again. We can though look on and wish we'd gone for him in different circumstances.

Gone all in on injured players, its only 2 of all of our signings, that narrative really is flawed

As its been said over and over, all signings carry risk. Is the risk greater on a player with short term injury, possibly, but with the medical facilities in place now and the new guy in place, I would hope that the risk is mitigated.

Not sure what your point over Castrovilli is, we pulled the plug when we knew the severity, something which could only be known at the time of the medical.

Jackson's case was different, it's been gone over and over, not sure it needs debating again and again. We can though look on and wish we'd gone for him in different circumstances.

Gone all in on injured players, its only 2 of all of our signings, that narrative really is flawed
Tell me how the Jackson case was different?

Tell me how the Jackson case was different?
We were in desperate need of players needing to make an impact straight away especially with Dom out injured.

It's my belief it was felt we couldn't afford to wait for him to recover. In the case of Adams and Scott we will have over 30 games for them to make an impact

Can it be coincidence that since Bill was last here, (according to Iraola the two men had a really good conversation about all sorts of things), that our form has started to turn?

I would love to know what was discussed - perhaps Bill did a bit of mentoring.

Can it be coincidence that since Bill was last here, (according to Iraola the two men had a really good conversation about all sorts of things), that our form has started to turn?

I would love to know what was discussed - perhaps Bill did a bit of mentoring.
To be honest I think it’s more likely that the players have eventually got close if not succeeded to implementing Iraola’s game model, without having to waste precious seconds thinking about what they should do. This was bound to happen- according to AI the players understood his philosophy from day one, but applying it in real time without thinking too much was always going to take a good few games IMO. Same happened to Burnley when Kompany took over. Remember our boys previous boss was GON, and while I give respect to him for dragging us out of the mire, his game model was a whole lot different.

I'm sure Bill is very happy tonight. His pockets may not need to be quite so deep in January

Is it too early to suggest that Uncle Bill should be thinking about trying to extend Andoni's contract? Probably. But still fun to speculate. :utc:

Is it too early to suggest that Uncle Bill should be thinking about trying to extend Andoni's contract? Probably. But still fun to speculate. :utc:
I think Bill will write a big cheque in the summer and try to get AI to extend for two more years.

I think that in three more seasons AI will probably have seen how far he can take us and maybe by then he will fancy a new challenge.

But I think that the project most likely still has three further seasons of growth in it and hopefully AI will be up for sticking with it until the steam finally runs out, at which point perhaps only a bigger club will enable him to achieve his ambitions.

Well, it’s what I’m hoping and I don’t feel as though it’s unreasonable. As long as he and his family are settled here, we can hopefully get him to extend his current contract in the summer.

I think Bill will write a big cheque in the summer and try to get AI to extend for two more years.

I think that in three more seasons AI will probably have seen how far he can take us and maybe by then he will fancy a new challenge.

But I think that the project most likely still has three further seasons of growth in it and hopefully AI will be up for sticking with it until the steam finally runs out, at which point perhaps only a bigger club will enable him to achieve his ambitions.

Well, it’s what I’m hoping and I don’t feel as though it’s unreasonable. As long as he and his family are settled here, we can hopefully get him to extend his current contract in the summer.

I was hoping they would extend at Christmas

;