“Bournemouth have lost their way” - Guardian

Much appreciated thanks. It’s like the phrase ‘so called experts’ that people always use in a demeaning way at anyone that just happens to have an opinion. It’s an opinions forum...

I am saying by and large it doesn’t matter what system you play which I know sounds contradictory. However if you want a rigid repetitive system which Eddie has always preferred then you might as well play 4-3-3 as it is more likely to happen naturally. There’s a reason the top sides in the world play it. I might not be a self appointed tactics expert but the guys that run these clubs are.
Some of the worst sides in the world also play 433 but I don't need to be a tactical genius to know why it seems to work much better for the top sides....:grinning:

Some of the worst sides in the world also play 433 but I don't need to be a tactical genius to know why it seems to work much better for the top sides....:grinning:

Yeovil went out of the league playing 4-4-2, using your logic nobody should play it. What we need to do whatever we play is get energy back and get players breaking the lines, particularly midfielders getting into the box and making runs ahead of the forwards

...pretty sure that if you have the right players with the abilities required, then you could probably play any formation?...4-4-2....4-3-3...4-2-4...

4-2-4 anyone remember that from back in the day before Diamonds and Christmas Trees :)

...pretty sure that if you have the right players with the abilities required, then you could probably play any formation?...4-4-2....4-3-3...4-2-4...

4-2-4 anyone remember that from back in the day before Diamonds and Christmas Trees :)
Or 2-3-5 before that.....

Yeovil went out of the league playing 4-4-2, using your logic nobody should play it. What we need to do whatever we play is get energy back and get players breaking the lines, particularly midfielders getting into the box and making runs ahead of the forwards
I think we are in agreement on this Neil....the problem we have is that we don't have that type of midfielder....a change of formation isn't going to change that either....and tbf not many teams outside the top 6 do have those players... it's up to Eddie to coach the likes of Brooks and Kilkenny to adapt to that role.....he can play any formation he likes then.

If we don’t have the players to play the formation eddie keeps playing, eddie needs to be the one at change, does not matter how much pride he may have to swallow the club is more important than how we play if we don’t have the players available to make it work

I think we are in agreement on this Neil....the problem we have is that we don't have that type of midfielder....a change of formation isn't going to change that either....and tbf not many teams outside the top 6 do have those players... it's up to Eddie to coach the likes of Brooks and Kilkenny to adapt to that role.....he can play any formation he likes then.

I think, with respect, you get too hung up with the top six players ability. You can still break lines and push midfielders into the box ahead of forwards with league one or two players.... they just may not be as effective.

We were the poster boys for playing football our way upon promotion and ignoring critics. Shearer etc saying if Bournemouth continue to play the flank overload and push their full backs forwards they will concede too many goals to stay up. We ignored that and took some heavy beatings but ultimately this is a points based league and we achieved more than enough against the lower teams who couldn’t cope with it.

Certain people mock me when I point to Burnley or Sheff U or Watford or whoever the other small teams are that do well one season. I’m not changing the flavour I am merely reiterating the issue that you can over perform if you stick to what you do best. We were that team also. So let’s abandon this dull and ineffective way of playing counter attacking football and go back to our song lyrics of minus 17.

I think, with respect, you get too hung up with the top six players ability. You can still break lines and push midfielders into the box ahead of forwards with league one or two players.... they just may not be as effective.

We were the poster boys for playing football our way upon promotion and ignoring critics. Shearer etc saying if Bournemouth continue to play the flank overload and push their full backs forwards they will concede too many goals to stay up. We ignored that and took some heavy beatings but ultimately this is a points based league and we achieved more than enough against the lower teams who couldn’t cope with it.

Certain people mock me when I point to Burnley or Sheff U or Watford or whoever the other small teams are that do well one season. I’m not changing the flavour I am merely reiterating the issue that you can over perform if you stick to what you do best. We were that team also. So let’s abandon this dull and ineffective way of playing counter attacking football and go back to our song lyrics of minus 17.
It's all very well saying that now Neill but weren't you one of the people on here who were nodding along with Critics like Souness saying we couldn't survive playing like that?......I'm not hung up on the top six at all Neil I just can't think of too many players outside those clubs that make runs beyond the strike's and score goals....can you?.....why don't you try and name 5.
The only one who can do it for us is Dan Gosling and tbf he does do it to the best of his ability.....

...yeah it was a goalkeeper...right back / centre half (2)/ left back / Outside right / Inside right / inside left / outside left / centre forward (2)

I remember it different from school, it was

Keeper

Left back Right back

Left half Centre half Right half

Left wing Inside left Centre forward Inside right Right wing

It's all very well saying that now Neill but weren't you one of the people on here who were nodding along with Critics like Souness saying we couldn't survive playing like that?......I'm not hung up on the top six at all Neil I just can't think of too many players outside those clubs that make runs beyond the strike's and score goals....can you?.....why don't you try and name 5.
The only one who can do it for us is Dan Gosling and tbf he does do it to the best of his ability.....
What I agreed with Souness on (to some people’s annoyance on here) was that we wasted money on poor players particularly Jordan Ibe. I never criticised the full backs attacking like mad in the games against anyone outside the top six, just in games against the top six.

That goes back to the rigidity thing. We used to play gung ho against everyone looking better against the bottom teams. Then we switched to playing on the break against everyone and looking better against the top teams.

isn’t it obvious we should just play two different ways?

Regarding midfielders into the box I’m not talking about them necessarily scoring goals... getting into the box is as much about crossing it, laying the ball back, heading it back across etc. Every team we play against has midfielders that do this but other than Billing v Southampton I can’t remember either Billing, Cook or Lerma doing anything in a box that led to a goal from open play (cue loads of proof that there has been and my memory is just shot :grinning:)

What I agreed with Souness on (to some people’s annoyance on here) was that we wasted money on poor players particularly Jordan Ibe. I never criticised the full backs attacking like mad in the games against anyone outside the top six, just in games against the top six.

That goes back to the rigidity thing. We used to play gung ho against everyone looking better against the bottom teams. Then we switched to playing on the break against everyone and looking better against the top teams.

isn’t it obvious we should just play two different ways?

Regarding midfielders into the box I’m not talking about them necessarily scoring goals... getting into the box is as much about crossing it, laying the ball back, heading it back across etc. Every team we play against has midfielders that do this but other than Billing v Southampton I can’t remember either Billing, Cook or Lerma doing anything in a box that led to a goal from open play (cue loads of proof that there has been and my memory is just shot :grinning:)
You specifically mentioned midfielder's who break lines running beyond the striker's now that changed to just getting into the box!....in which case I've no idea what you're talking about....all our midfielders get in the box at some stage of a game ....the fact that they do bugger all when they get there is again a matter of quality not tactics.
Btw I'll leave the incriminating evidence until such time that I'm not under a horse....:grinning:

You specifically mentioned midfielder's who break lines running beyond the striker's now that changed to just getting into the box!....in which case I've no idea what you're talking about....all our midfielders get in the box at some stage of a game ....the fact that they do bugger all when they get there is again a matter of quality not tactics.
Btw I'll leave the incriminating evidence until such time that I'm not under a horse....:grinning:

Getting ahead of strikers into the box if you insist on everything being spelled out! They are obviously in the box...on all set pieces for a start.

When Billing crossed the ball for Harry Wilson v Scum he was the furthest forward player on the pitch and Harry Wilson was another midfielder breaking into the six yard box to score. This is the only example in recent memory I can remember us doing anything remotely like what we used to do week in week out.
It’s interesting that Billing has stopped doing this (presumably coached) and has looked worse and worse as we have spent more time working with him.

...I sometimes think that we lack a sense of anticipation and instinctive movement in attack, maybe we just don't have those type of players in our team...but often we put in balls to the six yard box and have no one acting to get on the end of them...the tippy tappy play around the penalty area doesn't always work for us..more shooting would also help! Recently I have been thinking that we haven't tested the oppo GK at all with anything on target!

Presumably coached lol....only you would make that assumption.... I don't suppose you'd be willing to back up your claim that every team that we play against has midfielder's running beyond their striker's with some evidence or even a few examples?......seems quite a bold claim to me.

Presumably coached lol....only you would make that assumption.... I don't suppose you'd be willing to back up your claim that every team that we play against has midfielder's running beyond their striker's with some evidence or even a few examples?......seems quite a bold claim to me.
Are you Dels Irish cousin? The kings of prove everything beyond doubt or it didn’t happen? No I’m not going to rewatch footage of all our last few matches making a note when an oppositionmidfielder got into the box.

Similarly I’m not going to ask you to watch it all and tell me when they didn’t.

If you want to tell me Cook, Lerma and Billing break into the opposition box ahead of Wilson and King more than other teams do it or more than we used to do it with Gosling and Arter then that’s fair enough but I will never believe you!!

I also think you know this too if for nothing else because your obsessive hatred of Lewis Cook has led to you pointing out his lack of assists, goals or meaningful action once a week since he joined :grinning:

Are you Dels Irish cousin? The kings of prove everything beyond doubt or it didn’t happen? No I’m not going to rewatch footage of all our last few matches making a note when an oppositionmidfielder got into the box.

Similarly I’m not going to ask you to watch it all and tell me when they didn’t.

If you want to tell me Cook, Lerma and Billing break into the opposition box ahead of Wilson and King more than other teams do it or more than we used to do it with Gosling and Arter then that’s fair enough but I will never believe you!!

I also think you know this too if for nothing else because your obsessive hatred of Lewis Cook has led to you pointing out his lack of assists, goals or meaningful action once a week since he joined :grinning:
So your convinced that every team we play do it but you can't think of a single example.....:D.....what a surprise.....a more suspicious person than me might come to the conclusion that you just made it up....:grinning:
Oh and unlike some on here I'm fully aware of our midfielders short comings :throw:....

;