Brentford- The verdict.

FULLBACKS!

Where were our fullbacks?
We constantly tried to play through the middle, but to no avail (once Brentford shut the door after 5 minutes).
Did either of our fullbacks do ANYTHING attacking-related in the entire game?
Was there a single ball into the box from either of them?
You can't win against teams like Brentford if your fullbacks don't attack.
I realize Stacey is injured but I thought that around 60 min it might have been useful to bring on Rico (ideally at the same time as Surridge) as he at least would have whipped some crosses in.

[edit: just remembered that Kelly assisted Solanke's goal. Which does impact my argument. But apart from the aqueducts, what has Lloyd Kelly ever done for AFCB? Seriously though apart from that I can't remember anything]

Smith played several balls into the box in the second half and was often well up the pitch. To the detriment of his defensive work when they broke.

...we look like we flatter to deceive in lots of ways....yes we have talented individuals who are some of the top players at this level. I do think that one or two of our lot feel that they are better than they are and when on the ball take too much time with a twist, turn, or dribble when more incisive and quick thinking/passing/shooting is required..I love watching us play but it is irritating sometmes when a player either doesn't shoot when he should or doesn't pass when he should...player intelligence is key to being a top player and it frustrates me that Brooks...Solanke...Danjuma...Stanislas...make the misplaced pass or get robbed on the ball because they are not quick enough on the draw!
Up to a point but we are one of the highest scoring teams and the spread of players is quite broad.

Football in general is a bit of a Lottery this season.
Take a team like Manu with accomplished stars in all positions...and a manager that has been a winner as a player - he demands high standards ..but In some games they can have 3 or 4 players having a mare...and they end up looking like an injury ravaged Gillingham on a foggy Carlisle evening.
I think many players just don't give a Sh*t and are just going through motions and staying fit enough for better times....they have No Money Worries like Wally the Whelk Man on Weymouth Quay ...or Terry the Tyre Fitter in Tewkesbury..
Stoke will be interesting they got 4 v Huddersfield but let 3 in...whereas we beat the Tykes 5 - 0.
Nothing is very predictable this season....and it could end early again !

Played well and attacked them from the off.we will win more than we loose playing the way we did last night.but for now we need to sort out if king is going and whether we should try to move brooks on and 're I best to.take us up.

They seem a decent bunch, in fact much like any Brentford fans I’ve chatted to in the past.

Hi all,

My first post so be gentle..... Although I've been lurking after finding the site when Eddie left, so feel like I know some of you well. I have a Brentford supporting friend, who sent me this. I found it v interesting. Taking away injury time when we got caught on the counter it really was a tight game. Certainly not the gloom and doom that some saw. For the 20 minutes leading up to their winner we were (in XG terms) slightly the better team, even though it didn't feel that way watching. FWIW, my Brentford-supporting friend is predicting us to win the league - let's hope he's right.

Have a good 2021.

UTCIAD

MattXG Bournemouth  Brentford.jpg

Hi all,

My first post so be gentle..... Although I've been lurking after finding the site when Eddie left, so feel like I know some of you well. I have a Brentford supporting friend, who sent me this. I found it v interesting. Taking away injury time when we got caught on the counter it really was a tight game. Certainly not the gloom and doom that some saw. For the 20 minutes leading up to their winner we were (in XG terms) slightly the better team, even though it didn't feel that way watching. FWIW, my Brentford-supporting friend is predicting us to win the league - let's hope he's right.

Have a good 2021.

UTCIAD

MattView attachment 4772
Welcome!

Hi all,

Have a good 2021.

UTCIAD

MattView attachment 4772
Thanks for that, and welcome, don't be shy we don't all bite !!

They seem a decent bunch, in fact much like any Brentford fans I’ve chatted to in the past.
I've always found that fans of the smaller, less glamourous London teams have been really good guys.

Clubs like Orient, QPR, Brentford, Millwall - their supporters always seem pretty genuine compared with your typical Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs type fan.

I've always found that fans of the smaller, less glamourous London teams have been really good guys.

Clubs like Orient, QPR, Brentford, Millwall - their supporters always seem pretty genuine compared with your typical Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs type fan.
In the case of Millwall, I guess the genuine refers to psycopaths

Hi all,

Have a good 2021.

UTCIAD

MattView attachment 4772
So he's been lurking for a few months and then posts a coherent, reasoned argument backed up with independent evidence...

Blimey :oops: thankfully it'll never catch on...

Welcome Matt :grinning:

For me taking Cook off was the mistake it was 1-1 then, mostly JT subs have been good, but brooks for king would have been a better option

little cook was on a (stupid) yellow so guess he was subbed as a precaution?
i'd have hooked brooks at halftime as he'd been pretty anonymous up to that point

;