Brentford- The verdict.

As someone said it's fine margins. Overall it was a decent performance away at one of the best teams in the league. If we'd scored when we were on top halfway through the second half we could have been saying it was a great performance. Instead we switched off and were punished. The most disappointing aspect for me is that we didn't really look like equalising once they'd gone ahead.

Having witnessed three Bournemouth teams achieve automatic promotion in my lifetime I have to say that unfortunately this does not feel like I’m watching a team that will be promoted automatically. Plenty of quality for sure, but something not quite right in terms of mentality. As a poster alluded to above, we either seem to be very good or totally ineffective, there is very little in between. We lack the nous and game management to seriously challenge come the end of the season. You just knew that when we missed those two chances early on that it would come back to bite us, if this was the 2014/15 team then you’d bank your house on them to create countless more, but this team it doesn’t feel like that. Apart from game management the biggest difference in quality between this team and the 14/15 side is the full backs, our current full backs are a long long way off Francis and Daniels from that year. It’s our weak area tbh, both defensively and offensively.

100% you said this every season we got auto promotion.

Fine margins brentford score from a corner afcb wasted every corner and free kick

Smith had a poor game too busy giving away free kicks at 2-1 down, lost his man for the second goal and gave the ball away for the corner for the first.
Stanislas and Brooks disappeared in the second half, Wilshire needs to get fit....

Simpson and Cook kept toney quiet.
Lewis Cook and billing had good games.

Brentford have had a pile up of fixtures in the same time as we had a stint on the training ground. I worry it doesn't bode well that we ran out of steam and lacked ideas in the last 10-20 minutes, when it should have been us finishing stronger.

Need a good reaction at Stoke, one of those typical tough places to go.

Having witnessed three Bournemouth teams achieve automatic promotion in my lifetime I have to say that unfortunately this does not feel like I’m watching a team that will be promoted automatically. Plenty of quality for sure, but something not quite right in terms of mentality. As a poster alluded to above, we either seem to be very good or totally ineffective, there is very little in between. We lack the nous and game management to seriously challenge come the end of the season. You just knew that when we missed those two chances early on that it would come back to bite us, if this was the 2014/15 team then you’d bank your house on them to create countless more, but this team it doesn’t feel like that. Apart from game management the biggest difference in quality between this team and the 14/15 side is the full backs, our current full backs are a long long way off Francis and Daniels from that year. It’s our weak area tbh, both defensively and offensively.

I bet you were fun to be around when we lost five ON THE TROT in the spring of 2013...and still got automatic promotion !

I'm not having a good evening.. after that defeat...
The missus has banished me to the back room...
She is watching a Clint film.. Two Mules for Sister Sarah....my favourite actor is Eastwood....so I sat down alongside her.

All I said was " I can't remember if he sh@gs her in the end" ... ! :(

Ultimately loosing/not winning the away fixtures against our promotion rivals won't define the season. It's the games against the average teams where we keep drawing. Find a way of grabbing 3 points in those games and we will go up automatically no problems.

Agreed . It’s the draws that will be our undoing .

Agree it doesn’t feel like a promotion season but it could be a lot to do with the lack of crowds ,atmosphere etc .

Gave the ball away far too much near our box creating unnecessary pressure on the defence. 1st goal was a direct result of loosing the ball conceding a corner and back to 1 each. Final ball was poor as was finishing when on top.
Can we sign Wilshere for some creative spark failing that we need to resk Arnie soon too many should be wins turning into draws and now should be draws into defeats.
Bego and Simpson ok otherwise bit poor.

Decent game and long season still to go...a few of our players are lacking which is sad to see at times.Brooks not quite on song tonight...Smith not a great defender we sort of know that?...Stanislas drifts in and out of games...we will be in the photo finish come May!

Agree it doesn’t feel like a promotion season but it could be a lot to do with the lack of crowds ,atmosphere etc .[/QUOTE

Imagine today in the second half with a couple of thousand beered-up away fans roaring on afcb as we got on top in the game. Would have won that.

Have to credit Brentford for an exciting brand of football. It was obvious they are very hungry for their first promotion to the top division since Chamberlin was your PM. Someone mentioned in another thread, Brentford looked like a team and we looked like a bunch of talented individuals. Let’s hope the boys get things back on the right foot and take care of business at Stoke.

;