Brighton - The verdict

How many lost money today
Well to win 4-0 was 80/1 before start and just had a good feeling tonight, but obviously not overconfident so only bet £1. -oh so close to collecting £80 though! Then way too positive (& greedy) to cash out when offered £12 at 3-0 so there’s the moral....

Big pats on the back to Rambo, Wee man and both Wilsons

Wee man was at it from the start and led the way with his pressing and attitude even in that first 30 when others looked a bit fragile.

Rambo, he had the biggest individual hand in that game for us.

Cally good from the start but went up a level with the confidence.

Harry Wilson, who I haven’t been to sure about, take a bow tonight! Pressed well looked more commited in the challenge and put in a lot of defensive effort.

Billing still looks a mood player to me.

Jeff got better when he smelt the win

Solanke ran a lot and can’t argue with his assists but wish he would toughen up a bit.

Smithy, well done

Rico, seen you have better games but commited.

Ake got caught out a little bit more than I have come to expect but him and Franno still did a fine job.

Crowd, good outing tonight. We knew they needed it

:utc:

Lots of people saying we were poor in the first 30 mins. Was I the only one who thought we deliberately sat deep for half an hour, knowing that Brighton would come at us? Eddie and Jase looked very relaxed at that point. Reminded me of that 4-0 Chelsea game where we went back to basics of being difficult to break down. Then came out of the blocks with tempo and high pressing once our opponents had tired a little.

Worked a treat tonight.

Lots of people saying we were poor in the first 30 mins. Was I the only one who thought we deliberately sat deep for half an hour, knowing that Brighton would come at us? Eddie and Jase looked very relaxed at that point. Reminded me of that 4-0 Chelsea game where we went back to basics of being difficult to break down. Then came out of the blocks with tempo and high pressing once our opponents had tired a little.

Worked a treat tonight.
I’m not convinced that would have been a deliberate tactic.

Eddie knew this was a massive game and that we needed the crowd onside. He’d have wanted a fast side which didn’t really happen but got the reaction he wanted in the end

Can’t believe Mings stayed on after that handball

We haven't played well hence our position generally this season but we haven't had a lot of luck with VAR type decisions either - mainly away from home.

Least this handball didn't lead to a goal which has occused 3 times at vital moments.

Guess we all have our tale of woe about it though!

Which probably sums up the general lack of consistency with VAR.

I don't think much else has changed. They controlled the game as the stats show 66% said:
You may well be right. But you are a dick for saying it tonight. Wait 24 hours maybe so we can enjoy pleasure of winning. Not 30 minutes. It is as if you couldnt wait to put a dampener on proceedings.

Worked a treat tonight.

I didn’t think we were poor either. We were just settling in. Understandable considering the recent form and confidence. If we had conceded it would have been very different, but the tactics were no different we were pressing, the front four were working together to do this and we were slowly but surely pushing them deeper and deeper.

The key was organisation and energy as the half dragged on our energy levels continued to rise. Lerma and Billing covered a lot of ground to do the dirty work and the front four continued to harass.

For our heads not to drop we needed the opening goal. From that point on with the effort we were already making it was easier to keep going and grow with confidence.

I was probably most impressed by Wee man to be honest. I've given him stick I admit for his form and seemingly "don't care attitude" but tonight he was like a possessed achondroplastic. A towering performance if that's possible.

His energy alone was probably worthy of a drugs test.
He pressed, bombed down the wings, linked nicely with Rico and even tried a header in the box surrounded by defenders!!!! Great curling attempt on goal that just fizzed past the post.

His determination showed on our side of the pitch when despite two Cherries rushing to close down a Brighton player he joined in and thankfully his herculean sliding tackle missed the player otherwise I feared a red was coming.
Well done to the Scot.

Last edited:
I didn’t think we were poor either. We were just settling in. Understandable considering the recent form and confidence. If we had conceded it would have been very different, but the tactics were no different we were pressing, the front four were working together to do this and we were slowly but surely pushing them deeper and deeper.
I didn't see it like you did DJ. First 30 I thought BHA walked around without hardly any pressure being applied untill they reached our half and even then we were backing off. Conversely when we had the ball they pegged us back so much so I felt a defensive mistake was almost inevitable (like Watfords first). Guess it's all about opinions which is why we love this game so much.
For me it was a superb team performance from 30 mins onwards and a well deserved crucial 3 points UTCIAD.

I didn't see it like you did DJ. First 30 I thought BHA walked around without hardly any pressure being applied untill they reached our half and even then we were backing off. Conversely when we had the ball they pegged us back so much so I felt a defensive mistake was almost inevitable (like Watfords first). Guess it's all about opinions which is why we love this game so much.
For me it was a superb team performance from 30 mins onwards and a well deserved crucial 3 points UTCIAD.
The early short goal kicks set the wrong tempo and it looked like another no chances game, billing long ball forward and afcb score.
Bha keep overplaying from the back and afcb press in the opposition half and take control of the game, like a mirror image of afcb v watford.

Fraser upping his game makes a big difference, harry wilson still seems a bit lighweight but couldnt fault his effort.

Need to keep up this level of motivation for the rest of the season.

Their keeper pulled off an excellent save from a close range header from Philip Billing. So that nudges us over the 3 on target mark...

;