Brighton v AFC Bournemouth - Sunday 2 pm

So if a player isn’t picked our manager doesn’t fancy him you stated in another thread.
He must fancy Kerkez as he picks him every week, but you say he shouldn’t.
He seems to be the first choice left back for his country since this summer. You’d better let their manager know He‘s getting it wrong.
I’m sure he does fancy Kerkez, he is his only orthodox left back. I’m on record elsewhere many times as saying Kerkez looks to be a brilliant signing full of potential. However you can’t deny he cost us the win at Brentford and he changed the momentum of the game yesterday with one (maybe two) own goals.

If this was Kelly doing this from left back the lynch mob would be out. All 19 year olds need taking out the firing line from time to time or replaced during a game but we don’t have the orthodox option to do that due to unbalanced recruitment. Unless you consider playing a centre back or a right footer there which doesn’t fit Als system.

My first away game, I was really disappointed with the result and I don't think Brighton deserved it, the score really flattered them, shocking own goal at the end of the first half when not even under pressure, caught napping after the restart and then the lunge in the build up to their third goal would absolutely have been given as a free kick if it had been the other way.
The Brighton fans were ****************, "is this a library?"
We're just not given anything are we? Several decisions if just one or two had been given our way would have reversed that scoreline.

Another decent performance, particularly the first half, totally derailed by silly mistakes gifting Brighton goals on a plate. Cut out a few of these costly errors and I really don't see us struggling to stay up. Disappointing to gift Brighton soft goals because other than that they looked like they were there for the taking.

A missed opportunity to cause an upset but a positive performance once more with plenty of incidents to be analysed and improved upon in the coming weeks. We're getting there.

With the change of manager and style I think it was quite handy that we've had a tough set of matches to start the season. By the time the games that really matter come around, I think we should be playing well enough to start collecting plenty of points and maybe we can cause the odd major upset as the season progresses.

Not panicking here. It's up to Iraola now to help the players to make the right choices and to cut out the sloppy mistakes.

:utc:

I don’t think Outtara is intelligent enough for this league, Kluivert is pretty but pretty ineffective with end product, Christie is a number ten that can’t score or assist, Semenyo raw, Senessi can’t play a high line at all, Kerkez is raw talent but shouldn’t be playing every week but has to, Zab all at sea against decent opposition and can’t track runners….
I'm not really sure what you're expecting, that we sign polished PL-ready players who will have no adjustment period but that we don't spend much money doing so? Yes, there are the couple of Mitoumas out there every now and again (who don't forget had a season out on loan anyway when Brighton signed him), but clubs like us will always have to make good players better and work with potential. That's where the manager and coaches earn their wages.

I just find it a very odd hill to choose to die on to write off our recruitment, especially as some only have a handful of starts. We will be in a much better place to judge once we've played a few of the teams around us. I've seen enough from all of those listed above to think they could be good players for us. It's very rare that players just hit the ground running in the PL and they are all still learning the system, even those who were here last year.

Interesting article in the ECHO this morning with Neto commenting on the OG...

“I felt that I had the ball in my hand, and Milos felt that he had the opportunity to clear the ball,” explained the goalie.

“It's a very quick moment. Everything is fast in that moment.

“I think he doesn't understand, the ball is with me.

“I have to understand who is crossing in front of me.

“So like I said, it is football. Sometimes strange things happen.

Interesting that Neto doesn't actually say he called for the ball though... So not sure how to take these comments... Covering his **************** because he didn't call, or throwing Milos under the bus subtly...

Either way I hope they both learn... As has been said, it's difficult when the back 4 are changing round a bit but we seem to be settling on Kerkez, Kelly, Zab and Aarons...

Just need to get through Arsenal now and I think we'll start to see some positive outcomes...

Having Scott and Adams back will be like having 2 new signings... Oh wait a minute... !!!

I seriously think that no games in this division are going to be easy or easier this year unfortunately, Sheffield United looked very good and created a few chances before they imploded.

“I felt that I had the ball in my hand, and Milos felt that he had the opportunity to clear the ball,” explained the goalie.

Interesting that Neto doesn't actually say he called for the ball though... So not sure how to take these comments... Covering his **************** because he didn't call, or throwing Milos under the bus subtly...

Either way I hope they both learn... As has been said, it's difficult when the back 4 are changing round a bit but we seem to be settling on Kerkez, Kelly, Zab and Aarons...

Just need to get through Arsenal now and I think we'll start to see some positive outcomes...

Having Scott and Adams back will be like having 2 new signings... Oh wait a minute... !!!
In a recent game ( Brentford or Chelsea ? ) I also saw him fail to call for a ball which was clearly going to be his and one of our defenders right in front of him, not realising that Neto was going to get to the ball easily, hoofed it out for a corner or half-clearance, i.e a totally unnecessary clearance which could have been a goal scoring opportunity for the opposition or at least put us back under pressure.

Come to think of it, I can't really recall a time when I saw Neto clearly shouting "My ball !" to let the defenders know not to touch it. If he was more vocal, then maybe there would be less uncertainty and less desperate clearances from our defenders.
You would think that this is goalkeeping 101 really and Neto probably does call for the ball from time to time but it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that Kerkez had no idea that Neto had the shot covered.
Just one more EASY thing to work on in training. Communication.

"KEEPER'S BALL" at 100dB is what is required Neto. And what about the third goal? It seems to me that his failure to attack high balls is a distinct sign of a total loss of confidence which is immediately detected by the rest of the team.
I think his lack of communication is adding uncertainty to the minds of the defenders in front of him, which is really not helpful at all.
Definitely something the whole defensive unit needs to work on. Clear communication at all times.

"KEEPER'S BALL" at 100dB is what is required Neto. And what about the third goal? It seems to me that his failure to attack high balls is a distinct sign of a total loss of confidence which is immediately detected by the rest of the team.
He seems a nice fella. But as I said in an earlier post, I don’t get the ‘love in’ some seem to have for him.
He is very poor coming out for crosses.
I’m sure the Romanian will play Wednesday.

You clearly delight in your doom laden predictions coming true. I bet you were bricking it when we were 1-0 up.

'completely and utterly ineffective in the final third' - yet we took the lead.

'We are in a serious mess' - I would say we are ahead of schedule.

We are rebuilding the team, the philosophy, the mindset. Do you seriously think this can be done in a week?

It is you that are blind, you that live in Cuckooland, you that is the utter moron.

I bid you feck off !!
The fact that we took the lead does not mean that we are effective. Our goal scoring so far this season is appalling and needs to be improved dramatically if we are to survive in the PL this season. It will not improve until our attacking options are increased. Yes we are rebuilding the team and a new philosophy and no, it cannot be done in a week, but there seem to be very little progress and what progress there has been seems to be laboured.

Lastly, I am puzzled as to why you us insults because someone has a different opinion to your own.

The fact that we took the lead does not mean that we are effective. Our goal scoring so far this season is appalling and needs to be improved dramatically if we are to survive in the PL this season. It will not improve until our attacking options are increased. Yes we are rebuilding the team and a new philosophy and no, it cannot be done in a week, but there seem to be very little progress and what progress there has been seems to be laboured.

Lastly, I am puzzled as to why you us insults because someone has a different opinion to your own.
Do you watch the match live to be able to give a valid opion ?

In fact when was the last Bournemouth game you actually saw in person?

If we had kept GON on we would have had greater continuity rather than appointing an untried manager at prem level and changing approach. Given the fixtures we have had I don’t think we would have any more points though. It is a frightening start.

So what needs to change?

Firstly cut out individual errors but personally think that also reflects the standard of players we have.

I really did like us how GON started to set up away with 3 centre backs with Kelly wider left and 2 genuine wingbacks. It helped us defensively - in particular reducing the gaps that Brighton exploited second half.

However, AI wants to be more expansive (so the fans and board) so really the focus needs to be getting Tyler adams back to be more aggressive in midfield and scoring more goals. Our xg rate is poor given our approach.

Re a new keeper, neto has been a bit erratic this season but has made some decent saves. As for the equaliser, did neto call for it and Kerkez duck to leave it but hit his head? If so, criticism of Neto is harsh.

Personally think we can judge the team better in October and December given the fixtures

The fact that we took the lead does not mean that we are effective. Our goal scoring so far this season is appalling and needs to be improved dramatically if we are to survive in the PL this season.
I'm just checking... You do know so far this season we've played Liverpool, Tottenham, Brighton (who currently form 3 of the top 4), a very good West Ham, Brentford and Chelsea...

I would put money on it now that 5 of those 6 sides will finish the season looking forward to Europe next year...

Like I said... I'm just checking you've been following our opponents so far?

Yes we are rebuilding the team and a new philosophy and no, it cannot be done in a week, but there seem to be very little progress and what progress there has been seems to be laboured.

This game is all about opinions, I will grant you that, but I want it on record that in my opinion, we've made some serious strides to improving this team/squad since Iraola has been in charge... I wasn't at BHA but from what I hear and read, we were very good for the first half and it was individual errors that cost us. We could and maybe should have beat Chelsea and we were one mistake away from beating Brentford...

Sometimes it's nice to focus on the positives from time to time instead of picking out the negative every week...

... and not once do you ever consider we've the best part of £60m of midfield quality that we are expecting to be available soon... Anyhow... It's all IMO of course :)

Exactly this. There has been a lot of debate with some fans saying Neto called for it and some saying he didn't. I was pretty close to it and it didn't seem he called, but if he did, it certainly was not loud. As you say, he has to absolutely bellow that it is his ball. When Begovic was with us, you could hear him shouting from halfway back in the North Stand.

Last edited:
I'm just checking... You do know so far this season we've played Liverpool, Tottenham, Brighton (who currently form 3 of the top 4), a very good West Ham, Brentford and Chelsea...

I would put money on it now that 5 of those 6 sides will finish the season looking forward to Europe next year...

Like I said... I'm just checking you've been following our opponents so far?

This game is all about opinions, I will grant you that, but I want it on record that in my opinion, we've made some serious strides to improving this team/squad since Iraola has been in charge... I wasn't at BHA but from what I hear and read, we were very good for the first half and it was individual errors that cost us. We could and maybe should have beat Chelsea and we were one mistake away from beating Brentford...

Sometimes it's nice to focus on the positives from time to time instead of picking out the negative every week...

... and not once do you ever consider we've the best part of £60m of midfield quality that we are expecting to be available soon... Anyhow... It's all IMO of course :)
I agree that we are all entitled to our opinions.

Hopefully you will agree with my point that we must stop this habit of dropping points particularly at home to other lower order opposition. This was our downfall last season.

;