Bugbears

Players hanging the ball as close to the line as possible when taking corners. What do they gain?

I've wondered that too. Must be slight advantage, but seems odd. Can't be a distance thing surely, as they're only gaining a foot or two?

Perhaps further away from the flag, the better as its a slight distraction, effects run up?

Commentators saying that a player is ‘entitled to go down’ when conning the ref to get a penalty.

Players/managers in post-match interviews scratching their face/ear/other part of head. I can’t explain why I find this so irritating, other than the fact that I’m an old misery.

Oh come on - that was never a red

Folk were only crying because it was a horrible Italian against one of our lovely lads...

Under the current laws (as they are generally enforced) it's not a red.

My point was it's a loophole by which players can effectively rugby tackle a player to the ground and only get a yellow, thereby taking one for the team. But at the end of the day it's anti-football cheating, and if it's that blatant it should be more harshly penalised. Instead, everyone celebrates it like it's a moment of tactical brilliance.

Misuse of the phrase, "in and around". When commentating on our game against West Ham at the weekend, Tony Gale said something like, "the Hammers defenders need to get in and around Kieffer Moore". :oops:

I've wondered that too. Must be slight advantage, but seems odd. Can't be a distance thing surely, as they're only gaining a foot or two?

Perhaps further away from the flag, the better as its a slight distraction, effects run up?

I think it's the surface around the pitch as well that influences it. Often there's not a lot of turf and it's different to the turf on the rest of the pitch. By moving the ball forward they have lots of room to plant a foot on the pitch.

I've never understood why it upsets some fans so much but I'm apparently the only person in the world who gets irrationally angry at yard stealing from throw-ins so it takes all sorts!

Under the current laws (as they are generally enforced) it's not a red.

My point was it's a loophole by which players can effectively rugby tackle a player to the ground and only get a yellow, thereby taking one for the team. But at the end of the day it's anti-football cheating, and if it's that blatant it should be more harshly penalised. Instead, everyone celebrates it like it's a moment of tactical brilliance.

Made me chuckle - firstly mainly England fans getting their knickers in a twist over a cynical foul by a narly Italian centre back, acting like they'd never watched the game before.

It was a definite yellow, not violent conduct. Never a red for me. We'll have to agree to disagree.

;