Burnley - The Verdict

Question of sport 2035 . VAR was used for one season in the PL name the year and for a bonus point the team relegated on account of points lost from incorrect decisions who now play at Duck lane .

Last edited:
Question. Is the ref allowed to hear var view mad and then go to the screen himself? In other words who had final decision? Seems to me that var people have final call. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

to me yes he did but see what you think, it looks as he runs his arm is out and controls it, its at 1 min 48 secs
https://hofoot.toclipit.com/player/html/XKd8XLSVKScWh?popup=yes&autoplay=1

if it was in burnley box and wasnt given we would of been robbed
Having watched that I am even more angry at both decisions. Billings is just a joke. Smith it hits him at the arm/shoulder joint, he is side on to the play so the ball is going to hit him on the side of his body if his arm is not there which means he is not in an unnatural silhouette.
Now I am as biased as hell but I would not be expecting a penalty for that if it was the other way round.

This is the root of the issue isn’t it. To disallow a perfectly good goal and give the other team a penalty for THAT. It’s just not good enough.

Yeah.....I mean, one angle looks like it was, the angle behind the goal makes it look like the shoulder....people are split on both decisions, the first especially, so I am not sure how that then comes down to one person miles away. Mike Dean saw the Smith incident clearly enough, that should never lead to an overrule, the very least that should have happened is that he should have looked on the screen himself.

It has to be a clear and obvious ERROR, and imo it was not.
And so, gaining possession and scoring as a result of handling the ball will not be allowed - nor will a goal scored directly from handling the ball, regardless of intent.
thats the rules this season so handball started the movement and a goal came from it doesnt matter of intent
like i said i dont agree with it but thats the rules this year and VAR back them up, if we go down at least we wont be putting up with this next season but knowing our luck they will bring VAR out to our games only in championship

I totally disagree but even if I didn’t it’s obvious when you speak out about refs you get a worse deal from them. Allardyce and Hughes has a career of it. We were always clever enough to avoid it until recently.

None of that means I think it’s right btw, I agree with you.... Refs are a small minded cabal of very paranoid weak willed people.

Not sure about this. From Fergie down managers have whinged constantly about decisions to keep refs on their toes. In my opinion refs are more likely to give 50/50 decisions in favour of the manager that gives them loads of grief if they get things wrong. I think Eddie suffered from this in our first few seasons.

Lallana and saints moaned about Clattenburg for the same reason - to send a message to refs that they can't take the piss when it comes to the smaller clubs.

I think the second angle shows it hit the PL badge at the top of his arm?

But this also does show that its not clear and obvious!

Liverpool wouldn’t not have conceded a penalty in a similar incident - see their goals vs city and saints this season

;