Buy Back Option

LionelC

Reserves
Talk about Chelsea having a buy Back option for Ake. Questions regarding this
1 Can Ake refuse to go?
2 Can Eddie refuse a transfer?
3 Can the asking price be more than 40 ml ?
4 What if someone else offered 50ml ?

1/ Almost certainly.
2/ Probably but wouldn't want to hold a player here against his will.
3/ Wouldn't think so, if 40M was the buy back figure.
4/ Down to where Ake wishes to go but Chelsea would be likely to offer more in wages or sign on as getting him for less than his true worth due to the clause.

In all honesty it's only the clubs that know the nitty gritty and we are not likely to be advised until something happens if ever.

1. Yes. You can't force someone to sign for someone else.
2. If it's a buyback option he couldn't refuse it if the asking price was met. It's a contracted agreed amount the club have to accept.
3. It could be anything. Whatever amount is written in the contract.
4. I'd say we'd turn down £50 million but if someone else offered his actual market value then we'd have a decision to make. As to where he would go, ultimately it would be his choice if a market value deal was accepted as well as a buyback clause bid being made.

I'm a little surprised if the buyback is still in place and, if it is, still only at £40 million. I'm sure there's more to this story than that.

Would be amazed if they could force a transfer - surely merely first refusal at the agreed amount. Would be mad to sell in January but maybe summer will happen if ake wants it.

Ive been a bit dubious of this sell on in the past but Eddie’s comments would seem to indicate the reports are accurate. That said Eddie is a great poker play I guess we’ll never really know until he eventually does leave

Ive been a bit dubious of this sell on in the past but Eddie’s comments would seem to indicate the reports are accurate. That said Eddie is a great poker play I guess we’ll never really know until he eventually does leave

I thought EH was saying he has nothing to do with any of it, not just the Ake deal. I thought this was a "it is higher up the management ladder" for those decisions and I'm not a part of it. Doesn't seem likely , but that is how it read.

I can’t see any reason why Ake wouldn’t want to go. They aren’t going to fork out £40 million on a player that isn’t going to be in their starting 11. More money, European football, bugger stadium.

I can’t see any reason why Ake wouldn’t want to go. They aren’t going to fork out £40 million on a player that isn’t going to be in their starting 11. More money, European football, bugger stadium.

Don't be too sure about starting elevens. Look at how many players at top six clubs costing tens of millions spend their time playing for "others" against the first team on training grounds.

Lampard could also make a move to bring Bournemouth centre-back Nathan Ake back to Chelsea, with the Blues having inserted a £40m buy-back clause in the 24-year-old Netherlands defender's deal when selling him to the Cherries in 2017. (Guardian)

Peter Rutzler from The Athletic has confirmed the buy-back clause is still in effect. The only thisng that might scupper this is the hamstring injury.

Thought they were unusual comments for Eddie.... almost cryptic
Yes I thought it a rather out of character comment from Eddie.

Edit: just seen the headline comment from the Athletic chap Peter about the buyback clause being active. I don't have access to the article to read more, but I am surprised / disappointed, as I had understood from other Bournemouth covering journalists previously that it had expired in the summer. I wonder why the confusion?

Last edited:
Not getting into the whole recruitment debate, but placing a £40m buy back clause is one thing... placing it in and having it last more than 2 years is ridiculous... Player prices 2 years ago were getting ridiculous, so surely a limit on time or transfer windows needed to have been inserted...

When we're talking of decent, international worthy defenders going for £50-60 million and beyond... You can't help but feel we'll have been robbed a little if Ake goes for £40m...

I just hope Eddie can work his magic on him and persuade Ake to stay until at least the summer...

Last edited:
He won’t go anywhere with a torn hamstring? I guess we were that desperate to get Ake we took the deal offered.

it’s not a bad deal if looked at in the correct context... having him for two years guaranteeing PL football and getting 15m at the end is better than not having him.

Im looking at it that way rather than him being a 50-60m player.

There's a point there but, at the same time, there's a danger that the deal becomes weighted so that we are effectively taking the player on loan for two years and carrying most of the risk of them not working out whilst we work to develop them and iron out their kinks at PL level.

Ibe was another with a buyback. If he'd turned out to be as good as Ake Liverpool could have picked him up again. It didn't so we've lost the investment there. You take that risk because another player might pay off. Only, if Ake does go to Chelsea on a buyback it hasn't really paid off, merely left us roughly breaking even on the two players.

The clear model we're trying to create at PL level since we started moving on the Championship team is bring in young players, develop them and hopefully then cash in. That falls down a lot if when we develop the players but they then move back to their prior club for way below the market value.

I understand we may not have signed him without the clause but sometimes we need to play hardball and be prepared to walk away from a deal if it's weighted too much in the other clubs favour. I get when we first came up we had to make some silly bids to blow away any other interested clubs as we were small fry and seen as relegation certs. That hasn't been the case since the end of that first season and so there are times when we need to stand a little stronger.

All that's on the proviso that the buyback info is correct.

;