Captain?

The captain needs to be on the pitch for the majority of games, otherwise we might as well give it to Fletch.
There are a couple of flaws with using this reasoning as justification for Cook-
-Frankly I don’t see why Cook deserves to be starting every game after his performances last season, both Kelly and Mepham outperformed him. Although admittedly both are left sided centre halves (but so is Cook)
-I also don’t see why Gosling shouldn’t be a regular starter, his passion and drive are what we lacked so often last season and we generally are a better team with him in it. Even with Lerma, Cook and Billing here he’d be my first choice cm every day of the week.

There are a couple of flaws with using this reasoning as justification for Cook-
-Frankly I don’t see why Cook deserves to be starting every game after his performances last season, both Kelly and Mepham outperformed him. Although admittedly both are left sided centre halves (but so is Cook)
-I also don’t see why Gosling shouldn’t be a regular starter, his passion and drive are what we lacked so often last season and we generally are a better team with him in it. Even with Lerma, Cook and Billing here he’d be my first choice cm every day of the week.

I’m not going to judge Steve Cook on last season. He missed pre season, took ages to get up to speed, had various other niggling injuries along the way.

He wasn’t at his best, due to the above, but when he is, his organisation of the defence is excellent as are his performances.

I'm pretty sure both Cook and Mepham are right footed.

I'm pretty sure both Cook and Mepham are right footed.

They are but historically Cook always played on the left with Elphick or Franno and took a while to adjust to the right with Ake.

Mepham has also previously had his better performances on the left, but like Cook I’m sure he can swap to the right hand side as well.

Lewis Cook for me. Responsibility will be good for him and I think we will need some one with a bit of attitude

Lewis Cook for me. Responsibility will be good for him and I think we will need some one with a bit of attitude
Yes maybe, whatever I hope he stays and gets a regular place and he may well thrive off being given the captaincy. But if it was my choice I would give it to Steve Cook.

I would let Steve cook focus on his own game. Think lewis cook would be a good shout as he has done this with England sides and I hope he can get back to his best.

Lewis Cook for me, he is used to the roll and I think his game would flourish too. Call me old fashioned but In my opinion the captain has to be in the middle of the park to communicate to the team?

I would let Steve cook focus on his own game. Think lewis cook would be a good shout as he has done this with England sides and I hope he can get back to his best.

Lewis Cook doesn’t need to concentrate on his game then?

Yeah Gosling seems to have the right mentaility, head never drops, plays well under pressure etc. Definitely vice captain, can;t see him being a regular starter unless we sell another couple of centre mids.

No idea who should be captain, probably Jack Simpson.

Lewis Cook doesn’t need to concentrate on his game then?

I think cookie senior made a lot of individual errors last season so think just concentrating on that would be beneficial imho. Lewis Cook looks peripheral to the team so making him captain and stepping up would be good, again imho

Last time we were in the Championship we had a squad full of big characters, the majority of who had sweated blood for each other as we came up through the league and to be honest Tommy was more of a figurehead than tactical commentator. This worries me more at the moment than new signings, we've lost the clubs leader in Eddie and have lost Francis and Surman. I'm not saying that these 2 should have stayed but I worry where the on pitch leadership will come from in one of the toughest and most gruelling leagues in the world.

Last season we had about 5 different captains - Francis, Cook, Gosling, Ake, Surman, someone else may have also had it due to injuries. Steve Cook is bound to be first choice, maybe making Lewis vice captain would be a good idea

;