Carry on Covid - pre kick off match day experience.

Was in for both ballots but only got Huddersfield, seems like it's just random

It's not AFCB random though. I din't enter the ballot and was surprised that I wasn't offered a ticket.

It means that I probably need to be in the ballot to stand a chance of getting a ticket

This is AFCB, that can't be right................................

Last edited:
Every single person I know who entered the ballot for both games are going to both games....now I'm not saying its a massive amount of people, but just saying.
I entered both , but did not succeed in either....but too be fair I was not too disappointed.......happy to wait

Why is it that afcb don’t seem able to get anything right when it comes to admin I thought the whole idea of the ballot was that everyone who entered had a chance. Those who were lucky for Huddersfield should have no chance of getting another one as it was now for the unlucky entrants. If this is correct there should be no way that anyone should have got tickets for both games or indeed that there should be people who didn’t get tickets for any games.

Why is it that afcb don’t seem able to get anything right when it comes to admin I thought the whole idea of the ballot was that everyone who entered had a chance. Those who were lucky for Huddersfield should have no chance of getting another one as it was now for the unlucky entrants. If this is correct there should be no way that anyone should have got tickets for both games or indeed that there should be people who didn’t get tickets for any games.

We are talking AFCB here you know.

Apparently 'Anything Is Possible'.

Well they're not wrong about that.

2,000 entered the ballot for these two games. Then not everyone who entered wanted the tickets offered, so the club then appeared to scramble around to offer them to other applicants. One of my friends was initially only successful for Wycombe, then got a phone call at 1pm yesterday offering him a ticket for the Huddersfield game.

I entered both , but did not succeed in either....but too be fair I was not too disappointed.......happy to wait
Are you sure you done it right? Seems really strange to not get tickets for either game whilst lots I know including us, got both.

Are you sure you done it right? Seems really strange to not get tickets for either game whilst lots I know including us, got both.
It's not beyond the bounds of possibility......but did the same as my brother and he got a Huddersfield ticket

The regulations about calculating safe spaces are very complicated.

Maybe they have divvied up seats into quotas of 1, 2 and 4 seats meaning the availability is not completely flexible. And, to be fair, it is good that the TO is trying to re-allocate seats rather than refuse to issue refunds and leave spaces empty.

Carry on Covid.

I hate queuing. Not good with free and unfocussed time so needed to do sometimes so I wrote what I saw, did and thought at the time.

A new kind of match day experience. Something no one could have ever anticipated prior to last March. I was lucky enough to get a ticket for this one. 2 weeks ago I became a grandfather. In a week I'll be 64. Sandwiched between these 2 milestones a chance to see the first game of my 54th season.

Whatever the specified precautions I'll go with it. We all will. Because football is a part of us. It'll be different.

Walked to the park to my identified entrance for the Ted Shed. We were told to get there between 1 and 1:30 or risk not being allowed in.

Arrived 13:29. Gates not open yet, so people queuing for half an hour in cold. No one minds but it's unecessary. It's going to be 1000 people, lowest crowd for me at DC since the old reserve days. And they were great days, a chance to see proper players coming back from injury. My best one was Peter Bonetti for Chelsea I don't think there were any Miggins Cup games with a crowd that low.

I see a fan walking past at the back of the South stand. He asks a steward for the entrance to the East stand and is told to walk all the way back around. 'But I was told to come here'. Steward checks with colleague and discovers that this is the right way in. Steward says to colleague that 'No one told us'. Good to have a tiny, tinpot flaw. Reassuring.

The Ted shed queue moves pretty quickly. If all 4 sides are open there won't be more than 250 people. So, why 2 hours early? Either way. It's what the club felt was needed, and thanks to everyone for making it work.

Every one is wanded so absolutely no social distancing there. What are they looking for? What do they expect to find? There are 1000 fans, spread out. What kind of risk assessment is this based on? It's so risk averse that I can't see how Josh King keeps getting injured.

13:37. At this rate everyone will be in by 2 at the latest. One hour and 20 to ko. What is everyone going to do for 90 minutes?

13:45 Queue moving pretty quickly. No obvious hold ups. By 13:47 queue gone. Even allowing for walk ups. 17 minutes.

Wander in to be told that I have to have my ticket scanned. Of course. By one of the 2 people with scanners. Who are behind me. I'd walked past them because they were chatting, backs to me, no idea they were ticket checkers.

13:57. In the ground. Bored. How am I going to watch a game when my glasses steam up. How will singing work? Hurrryyyy Uppppp.

14:14. Some of the players out to applause. Supa and Kelly walk along front of stand. Applause. Surprisingly emotional.

14:28 the team come out. Glasses keep steaming up and it's hard to see properly. I blame Snooty.

14:34. I'd usually be leaving the firkin shed about now. Social Club, Cricketers, Portman and now the Firkin Shed. All regular pre match venues. Games are great but not the same without the pre match meet up. There have been so many times when the time in the pub was far better than the game.

14:42: some dreadful music. No marching band. No pre match entertainment to ridicule.

14:48. Team leave pitch to applause.

14:53. Pitch being watered.

14:57. Teams come out.

14:58 Huddle

14:59 the knee. Applause.

I have wanted this moment since the game stopped. There were times it felt it would never happen. Last game here for me was Chelsea on 29/02/20. 9 months without a game.

But I am here now and for that I am so grateful. Let the game begin.

Score? I don't care. (At the moment)

PS. I did care, it was terrific. Loved it. So great to be back. To celebrate 5 goals on our return? More than I could have hoped for.
Thanks to everyone for making it happen.

Interesting post, thank you. The Josh King line had me snickering!

To stop my glasses steaming up, I wear one of those clear plastic visors.

Does'nt your visor steam up instead ?

Seriously I have yet to read that st holders who do not enter ballot AND be assured that when they do (eg. Boxing day or a game in Feb/March/April/May) be guaranteed a ticket.
The code of conduct states that those who unsuccessful in first ballot will be next in line for the next ballot.As in those that didn't get a ticket for udders will get a ticket for WW.
So to clarify if you don't enter a ballot for a couple of months you don't get to go straight to the top of the pile,, only those that enter all the ballots go on the waiting list,if one picks and chooses will be behind those that enter every ballot.

Seriously I have yet to read that st holders who do not enter ballot AND be assured that when they do (eg. Boxing day or a game in Feb/March/April/May) be guaranteed a ticket.
The code of conduct states that those who unsuccessful in first ballot will be next in line for the next ballot.As in those that didn't get a ticket for udders will get a ticket for WW.
So to clarify if you don't enter a ballot for a couple of months you don't get to go straight to the top of the pile,, only those that enter all the ballots go on the waiting list,if one picks and chooses will be behind those that enter every ballot.

No, I haven't had any problems so far with the visor. We'll keep entering all the ballots we can, in a "normal" season we'd be at every match possible : )

No, I haven't had any problems so far with the visor. We'll keep entering all the ballots we can, in a "normal" season we'd be at every match possible : )[/QUOt

Sorry,first remark was mean't as a joke.
I know you and Mrs table go to all games possible .
BTW we have often exchanged glances as we walk to our seats in Supas' stand.Last time I saw you was well ago ,as I've been unable to to attend for best part of last two years.

I don’t think that is how it works. The FAQs say that there will be a separate ballot for each match. ST holders can apply for as many ballots as they like but are unlikely to be successful whilst there are other ST holders who are yet to get to see a game.

In practice what this means is that the TO will almost certainly use previous sales history as a marker to segregate ballot entrants into the two categories of “been to” and “not been to” a game. I doubt they will further segregate it by whether people have previously been unsuccessful in a (separate) ballot.

Last edited:

;