Central Midfield is The Problem

Schmiegel

New Signing
Clearly, we are incapable of advancing the ball down the middle. If Brooks and Fraser are covered, we are dead. Gosling.......;needs to go. Lerma......ok on defence, but just cannot advance the ball forward. We need 2 midfielders, end of.

Lewis Cook would be first choice in that position. Second choice would be Harry Arter. One is injured and the other is leaving the club for personal reasons.

Replace Arter with a quality player when he goes in the summer and hopefully we'll have the options we need.

Little Cook back next season, hopefully fit enough to go to the U21 Euros with England, but that might be wishful thinking on my part. Would agree that the centre lacks creativity, plenty of graft but not much forward looking. Surman would've made a difference, but I understand EH not signing that position in Jabuary having just spent big there on Jeff

We do not have a dominating mid field. This allows the opposition to dictate play if we can't score early. Love Gosling to bits but poor game today.

Gosser on the rack again!.....no goals from ' Sol the Strike' £19,000,000 Smackarooneys or £50(75),000,000 rated Callum....against relamagated Fulham!..... But No " Gosling needs to go"...lay it on Dan ! FFS!

So, you can’t understand that strikers need to be fed from midfield to be effective.
Why am I not surprised.

So, you can’t understand that strikers need to be fed from midfield to be effective.
Why am I not surprised.

Why are YOU not surprised that strikers that dont hunt the ball down as well as being FED dont get so many chances. This game of football has been around for a few years !
I you want to look at football with no more VISION than one of Harrys Jam Roly Polys...thats up to you.......

Last edited:
There was one instance today where Gosling had the ball in space,turned,and by the time he had done that,was disposessed.
He is too slow,and his touch isnt good enough for the Premier League.
The only attribute he has is being able to win the ball and cover ground.
But lets face it,if L Cook and Surman were fit,he wouldnt be playing,but yes,our problems lie in midfield,they have done ever since Lewis got his injury.

But lets face it,if L Cook and Surman were fit,he wouldnt be playing,but yes,our problems lie in midfield,they have done ever since Lewis got his injury.
Good post. We miss both Surman and L.Cook. How were we to know in the Summer that we‘d spend most of the season without them ? We bought Lerma in too, so by all accounts we had those positions nicely covered. It‘s easy to forget that we‘ve spent most of this season going from one makeshift lineup to the next. The fact that we have comfortably secured another season in the Premiere League despite the sequence of injuries we‘ve had to endure ( and usually in clumps position-wise as well ! ), tells me that our squad was quite adequately assembled.
This season came damn close to being a worst case scenario and we‘ve still coped admirably although obviously not as well as we would all like.

Last edited:
The main reason midfield can’t advance the ball forward is the 20 or 30 metre gap to the forwards and most teams pack the gap between them. Xavi and Iniesta would struggle to play the ball through let alone Lerma and Gosling.

People will still defend the outdated 4-4-2 system but surely most can see its part of the problem. A third midfielder means the passes can be shorter and it gives the ball carrier more options. Creativity comes from passing triangles not flat lines

Why am I not surprised.
Bit of both today, they certainly were fed a couple of times(King miss), but probably not enough.

We missed the overlapping fullbacks given we didnt have any, and FFC set up only having to focus on the wingers, which nullified Wee Man for much of 2nd half. Complete change of pattern and dynamics upon which or approach is based, and we had no alternative sadly
If wee man had taken a couple of chances, or put it across rather than shoot, or King took his chance, would have been so much different

The main reason midfield can’t advance the ball forward is the 20 or 30 metre gap to the forwards and most teams pack the gap between them. Xavi and Iniesta would struggle to play the ball through let alone Lerma and Gosling.

People will still defend the outdated 4-4-2 system but surely most can see its part of the problem. A third midfielder means the passes can be shorter and it gives the ball carrier more options. Creativity comes from passing triangles not flat lines
Agree, we need to put Brooks in that space.

;