Championship

Ivyhouse

Star Player
I suppose this makes me a bit of a plastic but I just looked at the Championship for the first time in ages. Shocked to see Sunderland so far adrift and seemingly sunk. I thought they were bad last year but this is dreadful for them. It was the 5 live report that Benik is starting tonight that prompted me to go there.

My son supports Wolves so I keep a close eye on them and the rest of the division. A few weeks ago, Wolves fans were saying they were the best team the Championship had seen. While they have some superb players going forward, I did point out that they weren't getting much pressure from the teams below them. When we won the title, there were four teams winning pretty much every week and you knew one slip could cause disaster!

Fast forward to now and it has closed up a little bit but realistically, looks like Wolves and Cardiff will be promoted, with Villa and Fulham now at least ten points back. You have to give Cardiff a load of credit, not the prettiest of teams to watch as you may expect but just three points behind Wolves is no mean feat.

As for the other end of the table, agree its shocking how far Sunderland have fallen and almost certainly down. Birmingham another massive club to be going down. Sad that Burton look likely to join them but punching way above their weight. Hoping they don't drop like Yeovil did.

I think Burton may escape. They have a lot of character and fight but very little quality. Sunderland seem to have neither fight nor quality and Birmingham are a very strange one - a mess of a club where no one knows what's going on. Barnsley seem to be picking up results, as do Bolton. Reading on the other hand, 8 points in 17 games I believe - they have a side not so different from the one that finished third but players don't seem up for it. Wonder how up for it they'll be on a Tuesday night at Accrington. Believe their form is only margainlly better than Sunderlands

davygravy - 14/3/2018 16:29

My son supports Wolves so I keep a close eye on them and the rest of the division. A few weeks ago, Wolves fans were saying they were the best team the Championship had seen. While they have some superb players going forward, I did point out that they weren't getting much pressure from the teams below them. When we won the title, there were four teams winning pretty much every week and you knew one slip could cause disaster!

Fast forward to now and it has closed up a little bit but realistically, looks like Wolves and Cardiff will be promoted, with Villa and Fulham now at least ten points back. You have to give Cardiff a load of credit, not the prettiest of teams to watch as you may expect but just three points behind Wolves is no mean feat.

As for the other end of the table, agree its shocking how far Sunderland have fallen and almost certainly down. Birmingham another massive club to be going down. Sad that Burton look likely to join them but punching way above their weight. Hoping they don't drop like Yeovil did.

Unsurprisingly Wolves have ruffled a few feathers...

http://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11688/11290979/andrea-radrizzani-letter-sent-to-efl-and-fa-seen-by-sky-sports?__twitter_impression=true

NWCherries98 - 16/3/2018 08:52

Hope Wolves miss out. Pretty sure they were one of the clubs bitching about our "Massive Spending".

If you lived in my house, that is the last thing you would want, at the risk of my son losing his head over it!

Not going to happen though, ten points clear of Villa and some straightforward games ahead, that gap isn't going to be closed. Some of their fans did - and still do - give us grief, granted, that goes back to the two red cards they received when we won up there. Lots of them do now admire what we've done, there will always be a few gobby ones on all sides though.

The fact they are also getting grief for the transfer dealings might just make them more aware of what we went through!

I will be up there for the home game vs Hull on the 3rd, courtesy of a certain Max Fitzgerald sorting me two tickets! Handy to have a tenuous link sometimes!

Watched this Wolves team a few times this season and I'm yet to see what all the fuss is about. If they keep going at the rate they are, they will finish on 82 goals, some 16 goals than what we scored in the Championship winning season.

Credit too them since we all know how hard that league is however I'm just not following the media's portrayal that their one of the best attacking Championship teams ever in what appears to be a much weaker league this year

I would like Bristol City, Cardiff and Sheffield United to go up. Slim chances for United, but Cardiff are a extremely better side than Wolves in recent games.

OK, let's make this clear. Wolves are a far better side than Cardiff, across the season and when on form. Cardiff deserve credit for running them so close with a side put together on a much lower budget of course and yes, I know they won at Molineux and have a decent chance of doing the double on April 6th. But Wolves were playing some of the best football you could wish to see earlier in the season for sure. They have recently had some jitters and had to win a bit more ugly but don't doubt their quality.

Having said that, they will need to strengthen in certain areas for next season, their defence will come under much more pressure of course.

Wolves was a sh## place to go. restricted pubs and those to##ers spitting down on us .
not to far to travel but would sooner a place with a bit more class

Rugby red - 16/3/2018 22:23

Wolves was a sh## place to go. restricted pubs and those to##ers spitting down on us .

As opposed to Cardiff City :grin:

2 old school clubs, happy to see both go up, just to annoy the big clubs who are trying to make football something it shouldn't be.

go along the waterfront at Cardiff and it is good but step back and you are in Somalia land not racist fact

;