Charlie Daniels and Andrew Surman

Kirsch58

Reserves
Has the club released them? I feel we could’ve done with their experience (assuming Charlie has recovered from his injury) for the coming campaign.

Been talking this week with Tindall. I would keep them both (but on lower salaries) as their experience will help younger players

I was asking because according to their player profiles, they have both been released.

Their contracts have expired so formally have been released and are free agents. But they haven’t signed elsewhere and are in talks with Tindall about their futures.

There is so much experience in those three that I'd keep them on for another season. They'd probably have a lot to teach some of the youngsters who are likely to get game time. I doubt any of the three will get too much playing time though.

I think a lot of our troubles in the premiership was not having any “proven” established senior premiership players. Yes there was loans of Defoe and Jack W but no senior savvy heads around that knew that league well and were canny.

We relied on foreign players, upcoming (or often static) talent and our championship heros that got us up there in the first place.
These three offer that senior experience of the league we now find ourselves in.

Surman would be a good old head and can still do a job. Francis is well past his sell by date and didn't deserve the last contract. Has been injured too slow, blames others goodbye. Charlie also, before his injury, couldn't get back so a place in the history book and move back to London to live as you want.

The wage bill is now a very important factor. Paying to have nice chaps about the place isn't in our long term financial interest.

Reactions: drd
Surman would be a good old head and can still do a job. Francis is well past his sell by date and didn't deserve the last contract. Has been injured too slow, blames others goodbye. Charlie also, before his injury, couldn't get back so a place in the history book and move back to London to live as you want.

The wage bill is now a very important factor. Paying to have nice chaps about the place isn't in our long term financial interest.

All three will be perfectly adequate back-up. They know the division, and won't cost a lot in wages.

If you think they're past their sell-by date then you're obviously forgetting Francis's excellent performance away at Chelsea in a makeshift back four (ok the Wolves game wasn't a high point, but putting a recently recovered player up against Traore was madness), and Daniels away at Villa the game before his injury.

If anything, Surman is the only question mark. Barely played last year, and if we don't lose any central midfielders he could find himself in the same situation, only a league further down.

Steve I haven't forgotten Francis away at Palace and home against Watford and Wolves. Time and injuries have caught up and overtaken.

;