Chelsea v AFC Bournemouth

Last 20 mins was better but Chelsea were managing the game at that point. Thought Cook was good; Dom tried hard as always; Senesi great defensively but can’t pass; Zemura terrific coming forward but lacks positional sense when defending, Anthony did well but whey give Siriki only 8 minutes? Scratching my head on that one. On the bright side there were enough positives second half to give me hope for the Palace game. And I thought we’d lose 3-0 today so maybe I should be happy! Ref was an **************** and fell for all their play acting. Azpilcueta, what the hell? Gets the game stopped for misheading the ball? Why do refs buy this bullshit? Happy Christmas, all
Second half was a fair bit better, so gives me hope that we can come out of the blocks with more intent against Palace.
Also, considering how lethargic and hopeless we looked in the first half, a 2-0 defeat away to Chelsea doesn’t sound too bad.
Hopefully this was a wake up call. We definitely tried a bit harder as a team in the second half, so hopefully we can be fully up to speed by the next game.
:utc:

Second half was a fair bit better, so gives me hope that we can come out of the blocks with more intent against Palace.
Also, considering how lethargic and hopeless we looked in the first half, a 2-0 defeat away to Chelsea doesn’t sound too bad.
Hopefully this was a wake up call. We definitely tried a bit harder as a team in the second half, so hopefully we can be fully up to speed by the next game.
:utc:
Yep very hard to understand that first half performance - sluggish, disjointed, misplaced passes…very hard to come back from 2-0. Think we had a bit more fluency second half so hopefully something to build on!

So we need a goal to get back into the game, GO hooks Phil Bill, and calls for Ryan Christie ffs. WTF does Marcondes have to do to get a chance? 5 minutes left for Siriki to try and save the day, and showed more attacking intent in his cameo than the rest of them put together, but come the next time, Christie will still be first in line. Carry on like this, and we're going down with the scummers in a whimper.

Looked like a team who are trying to implement a playing style but in the process being about 2 seconds behind the opposition.
The pressing in the first 30mins was quite painful to watch, our starting positions were so far off the target man that it took an age to get near them. In general out of possession we struggled to get near enough to Chelsea to cause them any problems.
It did however improve which is the positive I will take, hopefully that game has purged the training ground from us and and we can get the bit between the teeth again for a three point performance at the Court.

I think Everton will be forced to jettison Frank soon...they'll get someone more adept..and will stay up...
Our best chance is to stay above Saints, Forest, Wolves, Palace and Leeds....but maybe Leeds have too much..and probably Wolves too.
...it's a tough ride from now but I think we will make it...and obviously January signings and the Foley effect are major factors in the mix !

Well we had more huff and puff in the second half, but when it came to any danger to the Chelsea goal I didn’t see it.

Chelsea didn’t break through in the second half and it remained 2-0.

Be interesting what Michael B Jordan made of the game.

Hope for better on Saturday and think it will be as well.

I’m guilty to a lesser extent.
but what bunch of moaning vaginas we have o here.

I know. Just read through this whole thread. You'd imagine we were Man Utd or something.

And Neil going on all 'proper', middle class, guardian reader, policing the forum lol

Today was a classic case of a manager over complicating the tactical plan to the point the team became totally disjointed with no structure. This was the first half anyway. It absolutely wasn’t a quality issue, it was an O’Neil issue. More potential points thrown away because we decided to employ someone who clearly isn’t ready for this level yet. Chelsea will have never had it as easy as they had in the first half today. The first goal especially was laughably easy for them.

In the second half when we reverted to a formation that the players were actually comfortable playing in, and began to play players in their actual positions, we were actually in the game. This Chelsea side was pretty ordinary, we were more than good enough to get a result today had we applied ourselves properly for the entire game.

It’s nothing new with GON, two main issues-

• he has a tendency to radically change tactics to try to counter certain opponents, often resulting in a horrible disjointed mess.

• he also has a tendency to accommodate certain players by shoe horning them into roles that they aren’t comfortable in. Billing today for example, he’s probably our best player on his day, but if you’re going ask him to play on the wing then the team is better off with an inferior player who actually knows that position. It’s not as simple as just trying to get all of your most talented players on the pitch.

These are lessons that he will probably learn in time, but it’s highly likely that giving a guy a work experience gig managing in the most ruthless league in the world will result in relegation. Madness that he was given the gig full time at this stage, even madder that no experience was recruited in the coaching team to back him up. Big mistakes by the club.

I know. Just read through this whole thread. You'd imagine we were Man Utd or something.
for some (well me but there might be others) it's not the defeat its the manner of defeat, in patches we were ok, Kelly was shocking (but he has come back from a long lay off) Zemura was out of position far too much, senesi was on the right and didn't look comfortable, lerma was off the pace and billing was out of position as well. you might get away with it if just 1 player was playing poor but you can't carry half a team.
also the subs seem to me that they came too late (not Antony)

;