Conclusions v Man City

kirsikka

UTC Legend
It was a second string Man City but a long way from an academy team when you look at the players on the pitch. In contrast to the Palace game, even given all the changes, there was a bit more life in this match and I think it's fair to draw a few more genuine conclusions from it.

They dominated possession but it appeared we had tactically decided to cede it to them and play purely on the break. That seems a reasonable approach to take given the opposition and the fact we also rotated the team so had a mixed bunch on the pitch. I'll be honest, I think it was the most comfortable we've looked against City in the games we've played against them in recent times. Yes, they scored two but the second of those was a scuffed shot that bounced over the keeper who was getting up from a dive.

A nod to JT as the tactics worked. No way did Pep want to bring on Sterling or De Bruyne tonight but both were called for as he tried to unlock the resolute and disciplined defending and disrupt the way we held our the shape. I also think it was telling that Rico came off after 60 minutes and Brooks after about 80 irrespective to how they were playing. They felt like preplanned subs with Sunday in mind, getting more minutes into those legs. Our priority was not tonight and the prospect of a glamour tie away to Burnley next week didn't change those plans.

At times it was a bit like a football training exercise 'Attack against Defence' but despite the scoreline, given the relative quality on the teams I think the defence came out on top. We could have got a morale busting shoeing tonight. Instead we can walk away with our heads held high saying we made them look pretty ordinary.

I don't think we'll see that tactical setup much against Championship teams but if we go down to ten men and need to hold onto a lead then it could be useful. I guess it's good to know we looked more solid than in previous seasons.

I thought Ofoborh was outstanding. Lots of brilliant interceptions, comfortable on the ball and looks a real player. Against some top notch players he looked perfectly at home. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of him this season.

Brooks finally started to look like the player of old. Deft touches, good vision and unlucky not to assist a second goal for us. Now he needs to do it in a game where we aren't playing solely on the break into space. Bring on Sunday.

Surridge took his goal well but probably should have finished one of the other chances in the second half. It's a real positive though that in almost every appearance he seems to get into those positions. Even if another striker does come in I think he's going to be an important part of the squad this season.

Travers made a couple of good saves in the first half, had no chance with the first goal and was very unlucky with the second. It looked a hefty blow that he took from Delap (the spirit of Stoke City is strong in that one) and let's hope it doesn't make him hesitant to come for balls in his next appearance. I'm still none the wise who our first choice keeper is.

Only saw the second half and essentially I agree with most of your conclusions, however, we squandered our rare moments of possession far too much. Some of our passing was woeful at times... Bit of panic ball seemed to kick in.

Other than that, a great defensive performance with far from first XI. Most importantly, it was more time on the pitch for some that needed it.

Anyone heard owt about Kelly?

Exactly how I saw the game !
:clap:

Re the keeper, it has to be Travers if fit. I thought he looked very nervy for the first 40 minutes or so but then he seemed to just settle into the game and started behaving more naturally. A sign if ever one were needed, that all he needs to become a reliable keeper is a decent run in the team without any confidence destroying howlers.

I feel sure that if he can get a few decent performances under his belt we’ll see him go from strength to strength.

Only saw the second half and essentially I agree with most of your conclusions, however, we squandered our rare moments of possession far too much. Some of our passing was woeful at times... Bit of panic ball seemed to kick in.

Other than that, a great defensive performance with far from first XI. Most importantly, it was more time on the pitch for some that needed it.

Anyone heard owt about Kelly?
Kelly was hamstring according to JT. Judging by how he was moving it didn’t look like a major problem, hopefully just a strain.

Nicely put. I’m still a little worried about Travers. He seemed glued to the spot on a couple of occasions but he still has the look of a future star.

Very good conclusion, I agree with it all.

City ended with a far more experienced line up than we did and even then, it took a scuffed shot to win it. Aside from their two goals, I don't remember being too worried about them scoring.

Travers 7 - Made some really good saves and quite comfortable
Smith 6 - Just a smithy game, runs around a lot and fouls a bit
Ofoborh 9 - What a player, positioning, tackling, passing, dribbling and leadership
Simpson 7 - Becoming the player nobody thought he could be, very assured
Kelly 6 - It is a shame about his injury
Rico 7 - Made some vital clearances
Billing 4 - Ponderous and lazy, hindered our attack more than once in this game
L.Cook 6 - Hard battling midfielder, but nothing special caught my eye
Gosling 6 - Same as smithy
Brooks 8 - Brilliant in the number 10 position, looked lively
Surridge 8 - The energy he brings, it is like having 2 up front. Made brilliant runs too and what a finish that was, and he's one of our own

Cook 6 - Decent after coming on
Zemura 7 - Thought he was very good going forward
Kilkenny 6 - He needs more minutes but still better than Billing...

Travers 7 - Made some really good saves and quite comfortable
Smith 6 - Just a smithy game, runs around a lot and fouls a bit
Ofoborh 9 - What a player, positioning, tackling, passing, dribbling and leadership
Simpson 7 - Becoming the player nobody thought he could be, very assured
Kelly 6 - It is a shame about his injury
Rico 7 - Made some vital clearances
Billing 4 - Ponderous and lazy, hindered our attack more than once in this game
L.Cook 6 - Hard battling midfielder, but nothing special caught my eye
Gosling 6 - Same as smithy
Brooks 8 - Brilliant in the number 10 position, looked lively
Surridge 8 - The energy he brings, it is like having 2 up front. Made brilliant runs too and what a finish that was, and he's one of our own

Cook 6 - Decent after coming on
Zemura 7 - Thought he was very good going forward
Kilkenny 6 - He needs more minutes but still better than Billing...
Hmmm leave it to neil

One thing that struck me with our goal, and in comparing Surridge with Solanke.

Surridge could easily have moved the ball on to the man he had outside off his shoulder, who might have been better positioned initially. We saw basically this happen with Solanke setting up Lerma against Blackburn instead of shooting himself. Instead tonight Surridge chose to go it alone and turn/hit it himself.

Not sure there's a right or wrong way to act in those situations, they're judged on the outcome I suppose, if it goes in somehow or the other. But an interesting contrast in attitude.

Useful difference in approach to have, for our two strike options?

The 4 for Billing is generous ,he was absolutely woeful.
I made a point of watching him only for about ten minutes and he was never in the game,sloppy in possession,didn't get near his opponent to tackle,and wasn't interested in gaining back possession when he lost it.

The 4 for Billing is generous ,he was absolutely woeful.
I made a point of watching him only for about ten minutes and he was never in the game,sloppy in possession,didn't get near his opponent to tackle,and wasn't interested in gaining back possession when he lost it.
I’m sure he’s a nice guy however he’s got the energy of a dead fish.

Again, lots of positives tonight in the way we played. Enough city quality for us to admire how we set up. Mentioned after Boro that I could see surridge being a regular this season as he makes things happen and puts himself about. Smart finish and could/should have had another. Think Oforborh will also become a regular too. Vital we got more minutes into the legs

Billing was absolutely appalling yet again. He plays like it's a school playground match, all on instinct and then can't be bothered to track back when he loses it. Every now and again it all clicks and he looks class for about 10 seconds. Usually makes the wrong decision though and ambles around the pitch. We cannot hope to get promoted with him playing regularly.

Last edited:
Billing was definitely a major concern.

Only really saw the second half , but Billing had a few chances when attacking to play a good ball, show his 'PL quality' and make it count.

He fcked it up on about 3 occasions.

Defensively he's a nightmare, doesn't track back, horrible positional sense, and puts the team under pressure often when converting defense into attack.

He's only really good defensively defending corners at the moment.

Remember his words when he signed.... he was never going to get relegated twice, having been signed from Huddersfield.

Well I didn't see enough from him that he was fighting tooth and nail to back his own words up.

As Def to Loyalz said......he's Phillp Chilling.

Let's just hope he doesn't think he's too good for the Championship, because at the moment he's been looking League 1.

I watched our midfield quite intently last night due to there generally inability to get hold of a game. Not the best fixture to watch admittedly, regarding the opposition but, when out of possession, one word to some it up is passive.
Billing gets a special mention for his inability to get within 5yds of his opposition, leaving them comfortable, head up, picking their passes. It’s not like he couldn’t get closer, he has opportunity to do so but get to 5 yds and he stops.
Lewis Cook similar to Billing in desire to engage the opposition but will do on occasion and moves with greater urgency/ covers more ground.
Gosling would be the most uncomfortable to play against as will snap into a challenge if he is tight enough but mobility not as great.

I can only think they are asked not to commit unless they are 100% on winning the challenge so as to act as a protective shield an leave no gaps to be exploited. It’s fairly dull though and lets the opposition have command of the ball, build the play and we never get a turn over of possession.

It improved a lot in the last 15 when a goal down.

I watched our midfield quite intently last night due to there generally inability to get hold of a game. Not the best fixture to watch admittedly, regarding the opposition but, when out of possession, one word to some it up is passive.
Billing gets a special mention for his inability to get within 5yds of his opposition, leaving them comfortable, head up, picking their passes. It’s not like he couldn’t get closer, he has opportunity to do so but get to 5 yds and he stops.
Lewis Cook similar to Billing in desire to engage the opposition but will do on occasion and moves with greater urgency/ covers more ground.
Gosling would be the most uncomfortable to play against as will snap into a challenge if he is tight enough but mobility not as great.

I can only think they are asked not to commit unless they are 100% on winning the challenge so as to act as a protective shield an leave no gaps to be exploited. It’s fairly dull though and lets the opposition have command of the ball, build the play and we never get a turn over of possession.

It improved a lot in the last 15 when a goal down.
Think you're right, difficult to know if they were simply following orders to a tactical plan based on marking space, soaking up pressure and counter attacking.

It's also hard to judge a player when he's playing alongside a liability that can't be trusted. If you win the ball, and the pass is on to him, do find yourself looking bad because you hesitate, wondering should you pass to this guy, or risk being caught in possession looking for a better option.

;