Coronation

Anyone have thoughts on Coronation Chicken? Created for Elizabth II coronation
Awful if you ask me.

Any news on what CharlesII is going to get?
That sh.i.te is absolutely vile, had the misfortune once of trying it thinking it was egg mayonnaise(in my defence I was a little drunk)

I tend to agree it is all a bit bonkers but in practical terms it's irrelevant to our lives. The status of subject to me is about as relevant as the legendary laws about mandatory longbow practise. It's no more than a fun little quip for tour guides.

It just tends to be culture war fodder to get Guardian readers all frothy mouthed and then Mail readers frothy mouthed about the Guardian articles.

At the end of the day it's a net economic gain for the country and makes some people happy. Why take that away?

I read an interesting perspective on this yesterday. It was arguing that the royal family isn't quite as innocent and irrelevant as many of us think due to the importance of ritual and how it shapes our values and identities. It basically argues that a royal family, and the rituals that go along with it, stir up feelings of deference, and an acceptance of class and of concentrated, inherited, power and wealth.

Here's the article in case you're interested: https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/king-charles-iii-coronation-6-may-republicans/

That’s not strictly true, you’re falling into the tabloid trap BTK. 29% said not at all (so that’s definitive) whereas 35% said not very much (i.e. not that interested) that doesn’t mean not interested at all.

People who answer that they don't care very much about something should be counted as interested?

I read an interesting perspective on this yesterday. It was arguing that the royal family isn't quite as innocent and irrelevant as many of us think due to the importance of ritual and how it shapes our values and identities. It basically argues that a royal family, and the rituals that go along with it, stir up feelings of deference, and an acceptance of class and of concentrated, inherited, power and wealth.

Here's the article in case you're interested: https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/king-charles-iii-coronation-6-may-republicans/

I've always been interested in the history of it and the power of the ritual. Things like The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle being made retroactively to prove a legitimacy of a lineage. The later introduction of the church to lend supernatural legitimacy to a reign. All ties into the Game Of Thrones-esque where does power lie thing.

I can see the coronation spiking a sense of British identity which I don't view as a bad thing, as some kinship with our neighbouring countries and the commonwealth could do us all good but I don't really see it creating a mass sense of subservience anymore than everyone watching breaking bad resulted in people cooking up drugs in their bedroom.

It's a massive generalisation I appreciate but I think people see the monarch as a symbol rather than an autocrat much in the same way I don't feel like the French or American's believe they are controlled by their flag. Personally I wouldn't want to be King and don't envy the bugger so maybe that's why I feel differently to some.

People who answer that they don't care very much about something should be counted as interested?
I didn’t say that. If you asked me if I like green tea I’d say not very much, but that’s not to say I definitely wouldn’t drink it because I have. So it’s neither a definite yes or no.

We could have another Civil War...Royalists v Parliamentarians ( or whatever the anti -Royalists would tag themselves this time ).....if feelings are that strong across Britain...it wouldn't be North v South or East v West...but very 'pocketed' all over ..very fruity in Scotland and NI....Christ knows how Wales would embrace it.
Well...that's what, ultimately, all this talk would result in if folk are that serious about it !
The Levellers and The Diggers would win the next Civil War.

That sh.i.te is absolutely vile, had the misfortune once of trying it thinking it was egg mayonnaise(in my defence I was a little drunk)
In the interests of balance, I love it.

On the subject of misfortune though, once loaded a stacker with wasabi, thinking it was guacamole- now that was vile.

I hate fish, I love onion rings. More than once made a mistake with calamari. Those things need a label.

Same here. Didn;t mind tinned tuna when younger, or battered cod from fish shop, but always found idea of eating fish in general not particularly appetizing. Think it stems from being dragged around Safeway as a kid and the smell, look of fish on the counter really offputting and leaving a mark perhaps :D.

Don;t mind it now tbh, if I had to eat it (or some of types anyway), but too 'light' for my tastes, so never choose it in restaurants.

Have my weekly helping fresh salmon fillets, for omega 3 - to keep my hair/skin, radiant and glossy ;) x x

The.Coronation is in grave danger from the terrorist wings of Woke ..not satisfied with just foisting upon us ' taking the knee'....but to graduate to taking the Nation to it's knees in ignorance of Our Great History. These prats appear to have the upper hand by virtue of the fact that the level - headed conservationists of us are slowly dropping dead .
I fear for these lands...this stalwart Island....that great men and some women have fought to preserve....from jam and cider makers to warriors in the fields and on the high seas !

Last edited:

;