Coventry - The Verdict

Was at BS '90-'97. We were mainly terrified of Summerbee, Porchester and of our parents becoming unemployed. Lost count of how many kids I knew had dads in prison for tax fraud.

Were they helping out with the sports hall funding? :)

You were one of the scary kids in the year above me! I think year 7 was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life, I was ill prepared to go from playing stone Football and marbles in the playground of summerbee junior to Latin, Mr Gibson’s PE and genuinely believing that if I didn’t tuck in the flaps of my blazer the 6th formers would beat me up.....meanwhile my old mates were seemingly having the time of their lives at Sumerbee Senior!

Myself and my form group were the subject of much derision and the years below didn't hold back from routinely bullying us! Little wnakers.

Mr Gibson's sport-is-not-for-fun approach, when looked through a longer lens probably cost England at least two World Cups.

Were they helping out with the sports hall funding? :)

You were one of the scary kids in the year above me! I think year 7 was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life, I was ill prepared to go from playing stone Football and marbles in the playground of summerbee junior to Latin, Mr Gibson’s PE and genuinely believing that if I didn’t tuck in the flaps of my blazer the 6th formers would beat me up.....meanwhile my old mates were seemingly having the time of their lives at Sumerbee Senior!

I was Hillview from 1950-56. Loved the school, Mr Gillete (?) the head. Then went to East Howe and RAF Seletar in Singapore in 57. 6 day week but mornings only there. Swimming most afternoons and clambering around the Sunderland flying boats that were being scrapped.

Coool! I was there 77-83. Our head was Mr Dobson, top bloke, really good. After that...nothing as exotic as Singapore.

Myself and my form group were the subject of much derision and the years below didn't hold back from routinely bullying us! Little wnakers.

Mr Gibson's sport-is-not-for-fun approach, when looked through a longer lens probably cost England at least two World Cups.

Derek Gibson? Brummie wasn't he. Last time I saw him was at the Portland 10 and Swanage half marathon 2003 I think. Had a good chat, nice geezer actually. The others were Mr Wilkins and Mr Shepherd - he was a funny guy - real piss taker and the footie bloke.

Derek Gibson? Brummie wasn't he. Last time I saw him was at the Portland 10 and Swanage half marathon 2003 I think. Had a good chat, nice geezer actually. The others were Mr Wilkins and Mr Shepherd - he was a funny guy - real piss taker and the footie bloke.

Yeah that Gibson, probably was a nice bloke, I just wasn’t able to see it as an eleven year old who hated Rugby! Shepherd was funny, I was labelled “a Scotsman” by him on numerous occasions

Yeah that Gibson, probably was a nice bloke, I just wasn’t able to see it as an eleven year old who hated Rugby! Shepherd was funny, I was labelled “a Scotsman” by him on numerous occasions

My mate Jon was a City fan (family from Manchester) and back in the mid 80's there weren't many about - and they were pretty poor a lot of the time. The amount of grief JS gave him!

Although he did award him player of the year. As expected his opening words were..'Despite the obvious disadvantage of supporting Manchester City...' :grinning:

;