Covid & Football

Sky

Premier League had record 103 COVID cases in past week

Football is currently being hit hard by COVID outbreaks, with an ever-growing list of matches having to be postponed and clubs missing key players.

The Premier League has now announced a record 103 positive cases among players and staff in the last week.

A total of 15,186 tests were administered between 20 December and 26 December.

Officials said they would not provide further details on the players and clubs affected.

I'm a pensioner and have had all my jabs including a booster and flu jab, and because of my age I'm treated as a 'protected species' I practice social distancing and wear a visor each time I leave my home. I don't use the standard mask because sometimes in the past when I removed it I pulled out my hearing aid and they cost about £100 to replace.
I find it difficult to come to terms with the usefulness of the jabs. Many many millions of people have been jabbed in recent months, young and old, yet the number of covid related cases are still increasing and at a worrying rate. I would expect the number of new covid cases to reduce if the jabs are effective.
UTC

Gerrard and Henderson....and some of the other 'mouths on sticks' like Conte (and now Ed Howe is chirping like a horny blackbird) ..should ' button it' and get on with their jobs...like the NHS people !

I'm a pensioner and have had all my jabs including a booster and flu jab, and because of my age I'm treated as a 'protected species' I practice social distancing and wear a visor each time I leave my home. I don't use the standard mask because sometimes in the past when I removed it I pulled out my hearing aid and they cost about £100 to replace.
I find it difficult to come to terms with the usefulness of the jabs. Many many millions of people have been jabbed in recent months, young and old, yet the number of covid related cases are still increasing and at a worrying rate. I would expect the number of new covid cases to reduce if the jabs are effective.
UTC
The new variant is highly transmissable, irrespective of jabs. The risk of severe illness is less if you are jabbed.

Thats my understanding. Although someone will be along to tell you its a hoax. ;-)

The new variant is highly transmissable, irrespective of jabs. The risk of severe illness is less if you are jabbed.

Thats my understanding. Although someone will be along to tell you its a hoax. ;-)

Not accusing you of this but it's an important distinction that while it is highly transmissible among the entire population the vaccinated are believed to reduced transmission.

Figures north of 60% up to almost 90% here (not Omicron yet)
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...e-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

Last edited:
All postponed

Wednesday

Reading v Fulham

Swansea City v Luton Town

Birmingham City v Peterborough United

Sheffield United v Hull City

Thursday

West Brom v Preston

UTC
Vaccines cannot, and are not intended to, stop you breathing in the virus. Vaccines are to help your body fight it off once it's in.

So being vaccinated makes no difference at all to your chances of being infected, but it does make a difference to how high a level the infection reaches. In most cases, it's high enough to register on the testing equipment. A lot depends on what level they decree that an infection is measurable.

All postponed

Wednesday

Reading v Fulham

Swansea City v Luton Town

Birmingham City v Peterborough United

Sheffield United v Hull City

Thursday

West Brom v Preston
Let them cancel as many games as they like, and then look forward to a horrendous fixture pile-up later this season.

In the meantime, we can get 3 more points on the board tomorrow and increase the gap !

Let them cancel as many games as they like, and then look forward to a horrendous fixture pile-up later this season.

In the meantime, we can get 3 more points on the board tomorrow and increase the gap !

I was thinking the same. Theres going to be a lot of whinging re too many fixtures at some point, a helluva lot of games to be rescheduled!

I literally, and I mean literally, can't think of a single intelligent thing that guy has said.

When he discusses football, more often than not, he's completely on the money.

He actually has a great football mind and "gets it" at all levels, due to his running of Salford, playing at Manchester United and coaching with England.

There aren't many in the game with the experience and knowledge at all of those levels.

If you watch The 92, he's also very critical of himself and accepts when he makes errors.

On the games continuing regardless, I probably disagree with him though. The integrity of the leagues is also important, doesn't seem fair if for example, Watford get to stay up in the Premier League on goal difference, but during January they beat Manchester City Under 12's 7-0 to take 3 points.

When he discusses football, more often than not, he's completely on the money.

He actually has a great football mind and "gets it" at all levels, due to his running of Salford, playing at Manchester United and coaching with England.

There aren't many in the game with the experience and knowledge at all of those levels.

If you watch The 92, he's also very critical of himself and accepts when he makes errors.

On the games continuing regardless, I probably disagree with him though. The integrity of the leagues is also important, doesn't seem fair if for example, Watford get to stay up in the Premier League on goal difference, but during January they beat Manchester City Under 12's 7-0 to take 3 points.

More likely we’d lose 7/0!

I think games should be called off if teams are really struggling lower the threshold a bit to 7-8 players maybe ?

I am sure there are teams taking advantage of the situation unfortunately..

Just the way football works these days .

Reactions: DJ

;