Covid & Football

How about cancelling this season, and beginning a new one in August with clubs starting on their points total now? Viable?
Not really, because some teams will have played 'tougher' games already, e.g. away to an in form Liverpool whereas Palace for example haven't

All very well sitting here with our £100m+ a season in TV revenue saying that money doesn't matter, but the reality is that the biggest worry for many throughout the next few months will be staying afloat, keeping food on the table, paying bills etc. I have no doubt if we were still struggling in League Two one of the most debated topics on this forum would be whether the club can survive, whether people will keep their jobs, what are the knock on affects etc.

There is more debate around how promotion and relegation will be handled (including on this forum), surely the survival of lower league clubs, the jobs of people working for their club in the community etc is more important? Saying that you hope it bankrupts football puts you in far worse light than the 'silly cow' who chooses to focus on the financial impact of the current situation for many.
For the many who have enough money already..OK yeah ...like Bury!
You have totally misunderstood my point!

If the leagues were cancelled, would Bolton start next season on minus 12 again?

“All very well sitting here with our £100m+ a season in TV revenue saying that money doesn't matter ...”

We may well not have £100m+ this season. If the Premier League has contracted to deliver 38 rounds of fixtures and a completed season, then don’t expect Sky, BT and overseas broadcasters to pay up for 29 rounds and an incomplete season. We might get the pro rata amount but penalty clauses could mean a loss of a third of our TV money this season, plus lost ticket, hospitality and shop sales.

That could be a serious chunk of lost revenue, on top of finding the money to complete the training ground.

Last edited:
well, I hope the very well paid staff & players of afcb accept their "hit" with grace. I'm still slightly annoyed at hearing (from a very good motoring organisation source) that one of our players whinged about the quality of his replacement car when his car wouldnt start #tosser

Why should Manu or Arsenal have any more Money than Bury or Gillingham. Its totally unfair.....its just a spectator team sport.
If Football goes bankrupt ...we can all start again on a level field. People like Fraser and his agent can then see life from the perspective of a non league player.

Fairest way and most sensible as I see it, award Liverpool the title , don't think anyone can argue they can be caught, no relegation, expand the league and let Leeds & West Brom in for next season, minimises legal action

I’ll have a go at this conundrum, as follows.
1. The current season must be completed by extending the timescale as necessary and the normal promotion and relegation systems respected. There is a precedent for this – the 1962-63 season when most of January and February was lost due to the severe winter weather, and the season finished at the end of May with some teams playing twice a week to catch up. Hopefully this could be achieved by the end of September at the latest.
2. All players contracts due to end on June 30th to be automatically extended until the new end of the season. Any players not wishing to do this would not be allowed to play for their new clubs until the start of next season.
3. A one month close season adopted during which time all contract matters and transfers have to be resolved and squads finalised for the new season.
4. Season 20/21 to finish at the end of May and a reduced number of fixtures played.
5. This could be achieved by splitting all the leagues into two equal sections, say by grouping teams into North and South sections or by using this years finishing positions EG one section for those finishing 19/20 in even numbered positions and the other for the odd numbers.
6. For the Premier League this would mean two sections each of ten teams playing each other home and away – 18 games total each.
7. At the end of this period three mini-leagues are set up: A with the top 3 teams from each section playing each other home and away to determine the top 6 - 10 games each; B the next 3 teams in each section ditto to determine the next 6 places in the League; and C the bottom four teams from each section playing each other twice to determine the remaining positions and the relegation slots – 14 games each.
This would mean the top 12 teams each playing 28 games in the season, and the bottom 8 playing 32 each, instead of 38 at present.
8. League Cup cancelled for the season.
9. FA Cup to be restructured to give four rounds (instead of six) plus SF and F.

The season will be declared null and void. Any other action will result in legal action, appeal and more legal action. Null and void cannot be challenged legally as a challenge would be based only on anticipated outcome. It has already been established that any club that has a player in isolation will not have to play. So postponement could go on for months with a huge impact on next season. The Premier League will not want splits and division.

Fairest way and most sensible as I see it, award Liverpool the title , don't think anyone can argue they can be caught, no relegation, expand the league and let Leeds & West Brom in for next season, minimises legal action

The same would happen in the Championship (and all the way down the leagues), I assume? No relegation, and let Coventry and Rotherham in?

The same would happen in the Championship (and all the way down the leagues), I assume? No relegation, and let Coventry and Rotherham in?

Just can’t see how you can randomly draw a line under the season and believe the teams in promoted places can be promoted.

The Championship is far from decided, it’s only a 6 point gap.

League One 2nd to 8th is just 3 points and 8th place Wycombe have a game in hand.

League Two again just a 3 point gap. Conference the same.

Just as it’s unjust to relegate sides when the season hasn’t been completed the promotion picture is far from decided either.

Cancel the season, or complete the season. Has to be one way or the other.

thousands of businesses will be hit hard by this outbreak....football can't bleat on that it will lose money...many people will lose their livelyhoods and more....Sport should just evolve like anything else...financial implications will shape things differently at the end of this disaster...don't see why football should be any different. It matters to fans but at the end of the day life is more important!

thousands of businesses will be hit hard by this outbreak....football can't bleat on that it will lose money...many people will lose their livelyhoods and more....Sport should just evolve like anything else...financial implications will shape things differently at the end of this disaster...don't see why football should be any different. It matters to fans but at the end of the day life is more important!
Good shout.

The FL were planning on shuffling the leagues anyway and promoting 10 conference clubs perhaps now is the time.

I'm not sure I can see this all being sorted out by the summer, as soon as people go back to having holidays it will just spread again.

I don't see any way it resumes, however if the clubs voted I'm sure 19/19 would award Liverpool the title, voting no would just be petty.

;