Credit to the ref

Deserves a few words after his performance last night. Was that his first PL game? He let the game flow, played advantage, didn't dish out cards, allowed some decent tackles, didn't make the game all about him like some of the more established refs. Refreshing.
2nd PL game.

He lives locally to me and used run a coaching school for the kids when playing part time for Chippenham. My lad thought he was great and he was a thoroughly decent bloke.

Feared the worst with him being another fast tracked ref.

Third time lucky I guess. Problem is, like inexperienced players they will have off games. Just have to hope we don’t have them when they happen (again).

His first game was on Boxing Day and also involved Luton Town.

They were away against Sheffield United and won 2-3.

It was good to see a referee who kept the game going and didn’t hand out yellow cards without a good reason.

He was part of what turned out to be an excellent evening watching our team put in a great second half performance.

Allison was formerly a fireman.

Good post and fully agreed, he was excellent last night with decisions consistent for both teams for the whole game, you can't ask any more than that.
As the game went on and the players realised that they were unlikely to get cheap fouls, you could actually see the players starting to stay on their feet a bit more, rather than falling over at the slightest touch.
It made the game much more enjoyable to watch IMO.
All referees should be like this one.
Football as a spectacle would be better for it.

Yeah this Ref was a refreshment...
...mind ..his brief might have been ordered or influenced by the unique situation of the game preceded by the joyful introduction of Luton's. Tom Lockyer....anything other than a peaceful outcome would not have been a good fit .

It was a kind of shame that Luton could not get the point they might have got in that original fixture.
...but just having Lockyer back in the stadium looking well was the big plus point of the evening.
Hoping Luton do stay up with us...I don't think Cherries fans will be too peeved if they get 3 points in the return fixture to help with that.
What a great effort and part they played in an unforgettable contest.

Last edited:
I commented several times last night during the match what a good performance the referee was having. There were a few accidental clips that he let go for both teams and by letting the game flow made for an entertaining game.

The noticeable difference for me was how quickly the game passed. Without all the stoppages that generally occur it was allowed to just ebb and flow. I can't see him getting a top 6 match as that won't fit their brief of falling over and expecting a foul.

I think it was an easier game to ref than many. Not to take anything away from his performance, which I thought was great, but compared to that Forest game that Rebecca Welsh struggled in I think it would have been a walk in the park to ref.

I was about 10 minutes into the game when it first crossed my mind that he was doing a great job. Not often I think that. I can't recall him irritating me once.

I think it was an easier game to ref than many. Not to take anything away from his performance, which I thought was great, but compared to that Forest game that Rebecca Welsh struggled in I think it would have been a walk in the park to
ref.

Firstly I've never refed before so I don't speak with any experience. My perception is there is a lot about establishing boundaries which leads to trust and respect from the players. I felt Welsh cracked early and was exploited ever more from that point until the game was out of her control.

Luton were definitely time wasting[*] and playing up but by having a higher threshold for a foul he effectively eliminated the opportunity to roll around and take an age over manufactured free kicks.

[*] I think it was 2 minutes for a goal kick at 3-all, the next one being at 4-3 only took 6 seconds.

Firstly I've never refed before so I don't speak with any experience. My perception is there is a lot about establishing boundaries which leads to trust and respect from the players. I felt Welsh cracked early and was exploited ever more from that point until the game was out of her control.

Luton were definitely time wasting[*] and playing up but by having a higher threshold for a foul he effectively eliminated the opportunity to roll around and take an age over manufactured free kicks.

[*] I think it was 2 minutes for a goal kick at 3-all, the next one being at 4-3 only took 6 seconds.

Yeah perhaps some of the reason that it looked easier to ref was his game/player management compared to hers. That said I think forest's game plan was to disrupt and destroy the game much more than Luton's was. The ref last night did struggle with the 50/50 fouls on Solanke and Morris but they can't be easy to sort either.

;