Crystal Palace v AFC Bournemouth

The worse thing about last night was the pre-match DJ in the away end.

In previous years he played some absolute bangers with plenty of #scenes and #limbs.

Last night it was dreadful R & Bollox which set the scene for what happened on the pitch.

Is it possible to see what we were all saying when we first came up and were going all-out? I'm sure we were calling for a more cautious approach. ;-)
We were, I’m sure.

I think Eddie likes to play one way consistently. We were all our attack and tended to beat the bottom teams but take some tanking against others. We switched to non possession breaking football and now look better against the top teams but struggle to break down the lesser ones.

My question is haven’t we found the two correct ways of playing and we now just need to do horses for courses or is this not possible? It would up the entertainment levels without leaving us wide open when we played the top teams. Sort the philosophy out first then move on to formations.

[

Just watched it back, and you are correct there was a touch (47th minute). Have amended the earlier post.

It was blooming annoying wasn't it! I also thought it was a complete miss at first sight, it was only the replay behind the goal that showed the defenders touch, the sod!

It was blooming annoying wasn't it! I also thought it was a complete miss at first sight, it was only the replay behind the goal that showed the defenders touch, the sod!
Fact is, when it first happened I was making a coffee in the kitchen and just saw it in the distance, Callum putting his hands to his head. Even on the replay I didn't see the defender's touch, but obviously should have twigged when there was a corner given. Suppose I was seeing what I expected to happen.

On sober reflection, 3 points from the match last night.

1. I think Eddie mis-spoke in his pre-match speech, instead of saying " We need to play like this is our Cup final" he said "Cup match" and the team played accordingly : )

2. Liverpool are playing in a not a not a derby match against Everton tonight, where as we haven't played competitively since Saturday. : )

3. If I recall correctly, Eddie won Manager of the Month last October, so our poor form is down to the "curse of the manager of the month". I'm not that up on football folklore but I believe the only way to release the "curse" is for Eddie to piss on Barry Fry in all 4 corners of the Stadium. I'm not sure Eddie will do it but Bazz would, I should guess for about£100 ( maybe less if he can be convinced it will help his after dinner speaking career) : )

On sober reflection, 3 points from the match last night.

1. I think Eddie mis-spoke in his pre-match speech, instead of saying " We need to play like this is our Cup final" he said "Cup match" and the team played accordingly : )

2. Liverpool are playing in a not a not a derby match against Everton tonight, where as we haven't played competitively since Saturday. : )

3. If I recall correctly, Eddie won Manager of the Month last October, so our poor form is down to the "curse of the manager of the month". I'm not that up on football folklore but I believe the only way to release the "curse" is for Eddie to piss on Barry Fry in all 4 corners of the Stadium. I'm not sure Eddie will do it but Bazz would, I should guess for about£100 ( maybe less if he can be convinced it will help his after dinner speaking career) : )
"Eddie won Manager of the Month last October, so our poor form is down to the "curse of the manager of the month".

Eddie has won the title 3 times. (March 17, Jan 18, Oct 18)
Lampard won it in October this season.

This was my take back then (in the 3 sides worse than us thread) ............ remember having a very self-satisfied grin when they went down to 10 men, and the horror that followed.

It occurs to me that if "minus 17" is the rallying point for the start of AFCB's ascent, "70 minutes" could be the defining term for the decline. (but it is a gloomy Monday as we await for any news on Ake).

Tbh there have been too many disappointing performances this season and that is why we deserve to go down..that night at Palace was awful against ten men we couldn’t muster anything in attack, I travelled back thoroughly depressed...it wasn’t much better when we resumed the season..we stank against Palace ,Newcastle and Wolves those results put the nails in our PL coffin..big changes will happen and our playing style will need to change too...hopefully without the pressure of The PL hyperbole we can become better!

Not smug at all. Far from it! My point was how all the fans who saw that game realised that relegation was very real if tactics didn’t improve. They didn’t

Clubs Like Villa, Newcastle, Norwich, West Brom, Burnley, Wolves, Leicester and Palace have been Down and Up several times thereabouts each since the start of the PL... so its not such a big deal is it. . it has to be 3 every year....almost 1/6 th of the Div. ...Its our turn of fate now !

I can’t be bothered to read back through all the pages on this thread, but I’m sure the problem identified by all of us “armchair experts” against Palace (and others) was the laborious, sideways passing without penetration: pass along the back, pass into midfield, back into defence and along, back into midfield, pass back into defence, then .... pass into midfield (rinse and repeat)... then pass forward and lose the ball. And repeat the whole thing for an hour with no hope of scoring .. and this was repeated into the home game vs Palace post restart.

The criticism was “where are the wide players, where are the crosses, where is “get it forward” / “get it in the mixer”... why are we spending hours passing the ball around with no hope of getting near the goal. Get it in the box early. Attack. Attack.

But the tactics against Southampton were totally and completely different to those against CP. We played as direct as I’ve ever seen us: every throw was long into he box; every pass out of defence was down the line of over the top. We constantly crossed first time into the box and we were intent on winning corners / free kicks so we could get balls into the box. There was no passing it around at the back... no build up play. Everything people claim we didn’t do against CP and should have done.

All this direct play sadly didn’t work either. But, to be clear, the tactics were wholly different from those employed against CP in December.

We went direct today. It was a tactical gamble. Good on Eddie and JT for trying something different and brave - a one off really. It’s small margins in this business and sadly it didn’t work. But I look forward to another decade under their stewardship.

And for anyone who wants something different - watch Sunderland TIL I die on Netflix. frightening.

;