Dave Merrington

Brave bloke ! My grandad was a Sapper in Egypt- part of Western Desert Force under Wavell , then at Tobruk and El Alamein - clearing mines for the tanks !
Do you know what your dad drove ?

Matilda Tanks...then Sherman I think...or some such American stuff brought in near the end....11th Hussars of 8th Army...yeah under Wavell ..and Auchinleck I think... Dad talked about Tobruk, Mersah Matruh and eventually El Alemain .
He was very lucky, surviving 3 blow ups when all his mates were killed. The tank drivers tended to be more protected than those loading the shells. The Germans always aimed at the rear ends of our tanks! Well.. thats what Dad said in the few times he would talk of it!
The Sappers were even braver, has to be said, if thats possible...invaluable to the Tanks!

I never pay too much attention to what the guy says to be honest, my only dealings with him are willing him to STFU so we can finally get back to Dean Court for the post-match interviews with our players and the manager :grinning::utc:

Last edited:
Brum as in all things football I have a different view. Dave Merrington gives a very good coaching summary of events on the pitch when they happen and his comments on Saints are valid and honest. Sadly, although we love dear old Willo to bits, he only sees our games through rose coloured glasses.

We are lucky to haver the BBC local radio service. 5live is very good but when we have to listen to Talksport on the coach their presentation, in my view, is tacky interrupted by gambling odds which is morally wrong. But that is just a personal view.

Brum as in all things football I have a different view. Dave Merrington gives a very good coaching summary of events on the pitch when they happen and his comments on Saints are valid and honest. Sadly, although we love dear old Willo to bits, he only sees our games through rose coloured glasses.

We are lucky to haver the BBC local radio service. 5live is very good but when we have to listen to Talksport on the coach their presentation, in my view, is tacky interrupted by gambling odds which is morally wrong. But that is just a personal view.

Hang on, lets separate Merrington, and Willo, from the service.

The coverage overall on Solent is excellent. The commentators for the AFCB, Stains and Pompey games are very good.

However, Merrington and Willo are just an embarrassment.

Why are Solent asking the opinion of two men who haven't worked in or around professional changing rooms in roughly two decades?!

The pundit is supposed to provide insights that the normal fans might not know or miss but the game has moved on so far since they played.

However, aside from that glaring inadequacy, they are two of the dullest voices you can hear on the radio. If next season a commercial radio station won the rights to cover the games of us and Stains there is no way on earth they'd be having those two dullards on the show.

I think Solent give a very good football service.

Kris T and Willo are a good team, they have humour as well as the serious points and commentary.

If I don’t want to listen to the Saints summariser etc I just turn the volume down if in car or at home put it on mute, job done.

When my wife drives me to and from DC, when Merrington comes on she turns the radio down, she is not a football fan but just doesn’t like him drawling on.

Last edited:
Matilda Tanks...then Sherman I think...or some such American stuff brought in near the end....11th Hussars of 8th Army...yeah under Wavell ..and Auchinleck I think... Dad talked about Tobruk, Mersah Matruh and eventually El Alemain .
He was very lucky, surviving 3 blow ups when all his mates were killed. The tank drivers tended to be more protected than those loading the shells. The Germans always aimed at the rear ends of our tanks! Well.. thats what Dad said in the few times he would talk of it!
The Sappers were even braver, has to be said, if thats possible...invaluable to the Tanks!
All brave as anything to go through that hell !
Retreated and advanced six times I think it was from Egypt to Libya and back again - the troops called it the “ Benghazi Handicap “

;