David Brooks

Cant think of a player I’ve see with a more noticeable drop off in quality than Brooks. When he first came looked world class, sure he had his injuries and was off a while, but at times last season he looked like a competition winner who had never kicked a football. Control, passing, movement….all completely off, like a totally different human. He has improved since then but we are far from seeing the Brooks of old. A real shame if he doesn’t rediscover that initial form because he was some player.

Cant think of a player I’ve see with a more noticeable drop off in quality than Brooks. When he first came looked world class, sure he had his injuries and was off a while, but at times last season he looked like a competition winner who had never kicked a football. Control, passing, movement….all completely off, like a totally different human. He has improved since then but we are far from seeing the Brooks of old. A real shame if he doesn’t rediscover that initial form because he was some player.
Even in the handful of games this season, he's gone from looking really exciting against MK Dons, West Brom and Forest, to looking average against Birmingham and Blackpool, and looking like that competition winner again up at Hull. Who knows what we'll get after the international break. He's a mystery.

Not basing this on anything other than just my own thoughts... Having seen most of his PL team mates move on to mostly bigger things, I'm just not convinced he really wants to still be around here... He's been plagued with injuries and poor form this last couple of seasons and is struggling to lift himself out of this rut... IMO.

Against Blackpool he seemed to spend most of the second half sulking after Anthony took the shot on and didn't pass to him, and when the entire side went over to Parker for a drinks pause, Brooks stayed firmly on the opposite side of the pitch, looking hacked off... Probably just me making something of nothing, I just think he's not happy here and could probably just do with a fresh start.

We've all speculated on a possible dysfunctional dressing room over the last 18 months... which with so many sales is understandable... Let's face it... he's only still here because of his injuries. A fit Brooks would have been sold last year probably...

I noticed that Brooks didn't go over for drinks and thought it was odd. I wondered if he was avoiding a ticking off.

Even in the handful of games this season, he's gone from looking really exciting against MK Dons, West Brom and Forest, to looking average against Birmingham and Blackpool, and looking like that competition winner again up at Hull. Who knows what we'll get after the international break. He's a mystery.
Very average at Birmingham - as he was suspended!

Not a surprise...he ain't figuring too prominently in Boscombe's squad....so the Welsh haven't exactly got much to assess him on ...either his fitness or productive output !

Not a surprise...he ain't figuring too prominently in Boscombe's squad....so the Welsh haven't exactly got much to assess him on ...either his fitness or productive output !

I agree,
He ain't half the boy he once was and doesn't deserve to be in their squad, and I don't have much time for C. Mepham either, maybe that's why SP is not using him much.
UTC

I agree,
He ain't half the boy he once was and doesn't deserve to be in their squad, and I don't have much time for C. Mepham either, maybe that's why SP is not using him much.
UTC

Not sure I agree with that at all. Mepham is 3rd choice CB out of 5 and getting called from the bench on a regular basis so clearly SP does rate him. As suspensions and injuries kick in, he'll be the one to start in place of whoever drops out and then he has a chance to stake his claim to carry on.

Last edited:
Watched Mepham in his 10 minutes on the pitch against Sheffield United recently and he made a number of clearances, especially with his head as they were throwing everything at it for an equaliser.

Bar a couple of yellow cards, I don't think Meps has put a foot wrong for us this season. He played out of position on the right when Smithy and Stacey were out and actually did okay apart from the fact he wasn't an attacking threat. He's come on as the sub and done a good job. He did well for Wales in the Euros too and after tge nightmare of the Brentford play off semi, he's picked himself up and shown great strength of character.

I agree,
UTC

Hes been great when called upon, don’t forget those games on the right out of position. Not easy for a CB. He’s come off the bench to shore up the defence for the end of games several times too.

Mepham has been great this season, has barely put a foot wrong.
re Brooks, makes sense for him not to travel. Little chance of anything other than the odd few minutes here and there, too many ahead of him. Won’t force himself into contention unless playing regularly here, and his best chance of that is to stay behind and try to force himself into our starting eleven.

;