David Brooks

Brooks was our best player preseason and has been good in the majority of games and subs appeaances he's played in. He provides something so different to other options. I wish we saw more of him at around the 60ish min mark in games especially if a winger or 10 isn't on it.

If we have a Christie or Adam's type in the midfield for energy he can certainly make things happen but he's not physical enough to be as good at the press as a Semenyo for instance so we'll want to be sure there's plenty of energy around him. He's also often great with Smudge they seem to have a real partnetship might take soem game time with Aarons or whoever else is RB.

I was wondering if he'd start more games with AFCON on now..

Given how good Brooks has been in the past, we should definitely give him more time to see whether he can get back to that level. Whether that means a loan now, really depends on how much football he’s likely to get if he stays put.

Agreed. Out current shape and tactice does not suit him. Unfortunately, I can see him moving very shortly along with Moore and Mepham.
Another of the Welsh clearances by the English :rolleyes:

Ironically, none of them were born in Wales.

More seriously though, Rob Page has stated that Wales' players who are marginal at club level should look to find minutes elsewhere in the second half of the season as there is still a chance that we might qualify for the Euros.

I think it's likely that at least two of those mentioned will move this month.

More seriously though, Rob Page has stated that Wales' players who are marginal at club level should look to find minutes elsewhere in the second half of the season as there is still a chance that we might qualify for the Euros.

Moore seems to have his pick of the Championship clubs, Cardiff fans still as confident as they were a month or so ago?

Actually it's probably the Rob Page comments that's driven a lot of English fans to assume that Welsh players will be cleared out.

Personally, I think football clubs won't give a toss about what Rob Page says as they care about their clubs far more than they care about the Welsh national team. It would require players to hand in transfer requests for them to move on and I suspect they're happier being on 30k on the bench in the Premier League than 15k playing the Championship.

Reactions: DJ
The ideal might be Brooks having a run of games at Championship level to get back some confidence and regular 90 minute stints. Still a classy player in there somewhere. Unfortunately we might need him through Jan-Feb whilst short during AFCON. A shame you can't do the old 1-2 month loans anymore. A goal would do him good.

Guy must be hurting right now, leading the side out as captain only to be taken off at half time and the team turning the game around without him. Very odd season for him so far, in many games he looks a real bright spark off the bench but I still find it hard to justify him starting for us at the moment. Don't think he did himself any favours this weekend either. Imagine he might have been a key player under O'Neil, but under Andoni...

Keep Brooks here...have patience with him until at least May ...then assess the situation and his needs.
Whilst I do agree with this thought, Brooks might end up being the driver behind a move away, at least a loan move for the remainder of the season...

Brooks sitting on our bench is probably doing nobody any favours... He's not getting minutes to get fit an sharp, and we're not getting the player we hope can return...

Brooks went through a lot for 'that' 12 months and most folks would need a good period of time to recover from that, and that's without the rigours of premier league football and the relentless system we are deploying... For me, he looks like he still needs time to recover and regain his game and sharpness... That might mean just cameos here and there and then go at it properly in pre-season again to assess where he is at... Everyone should be in a better position to assess next summer...

It's just whether he decides it's best to be here or somewhere else between now and then, which is the biggest question...

Last edited:
Think there is a bigger picture for David so maybe we should focus on what gets him in the best shape for next season rather than worry about cover this season. Definitely not a sale.

As for kieffer, seems to be a 1 in and 1 out policy on forwards so happy to trade up if we can but if he’s happy on the bench he remains an option off the bench with 2 goals in the last month. Meps too may want a move but he is a good squad option too

worth saying that all this fuss re wales and the euros, but they haven’t qualified yet!

Despite scoring a couple recently, I just don't' think Moore offers us much in terms of back-up for Solanke... Obviously very different players, but maybe that is the issue... We need and Iraola maybe wants a Dom 2.0 and not a plan B...

I like Moore and he's obviously now a big part in our history, scoring 'that' goal... but I would personally look to move him on now, providing we can get a suitable Iraola style replacement for him...

I wonder if we'll reignite our interest in that Paston Daka fella form Leicester??

Obviously very different players, but maybe that is the issue... We need and Iraola maybe wants a Dom 2.0 and not a plan B...
Yep, Moore is a valid player in a different context, but with Iraola the high press and quick transitions are not negotiable.

And for that he needs a 9 that has pace and can sustain those efforts throughout a game.

The 2 goals he’s scored recently might just make him a bit more marketable, but I don’t think the plan changes with him.

DB needs game time and we can’t give him a slot to do so. Brooksy is a favourite of so many fans and I’m sure we all feel for him but he needs to get stronger physically and mentally and get his match sharpness back. He was so below par on Saturday it wasn’t true. His total rehabilitation still seems to have a way to go. I think a loan spell would be the best thing - somewhere he will get a starting spot every week. We all want David back to his best and I think discussions may well already be in hand.

Surely he knows the way AI wants to play. but he just didn't do it.
I saw him and Aarons have a few words, but nothing changed.
All our attacks had to come down the left side because of it.
Second half when he was replaced we started to attack down both sides with pace.

He's still a good player, and will get better and better with game time, but I don't think he suits our style of play, certainly not as a winger.
Could see him playing in a 10 role, but Kluivert and Billing are ahead of him there, and Scott probably as well.
Our wingers now need to have blistering pace and a massive engine. Brooks has never been that, doesn't make him a bad player though.
Think he needs a loan because he needs to get game time and fitness back, he's technically a very gifted footballer and would love to see him do well, especially after all he has been through. Would like to see him go on loan somewhere he can play the 10 role because I think that's where his future lies here if he stays longterm.

Actually it's probably the Rob Page comments that's driven a lot of English fans to assume that Welsh players will be cleared out.

Personally, I think football clubs won't give a toss about what Rob Page says as they care about their clubs far more than they care about the Welsh national team. It would require players to hand in transfer requests for them to move on and I suspect they're happier being on 30k on the bench in the Premier League than 15k playing the Championship.
Sure, but they could be looking for loans to get game time.

;