Diabolical and unacceptable

It was a stark contrast to the performance against Man United, but unfortunately the same result. Lots of questionable passes. Newcastle played very narrow and whilst in the second half we had more attacking threat it was a sea of players to get through. Benitez deserves credit today for doing a job on us. Worryingly it seemed to be a tactic we had no plan B for.

I don't think we didn't give 100% just outplayed and had no answer for their style of play. In short we got found out.

Ibe was shocking, Pugh definitely deserves a start against Arsenal instead. Ibe is a very skilful player but doesn't have the general common sense and therefore Pugh all round is better

I think this is more about the OP having a long trip home than what happened on the pitch .
Not if he/she lives in Gateshead ;)
Did you go? I suspect not.

Anyone who travels the length of country to support the team is allowed plenty of licence to be a bit extreme, even if they are a jcl.

Most of us were young and ultra keen in our day.
As it happens I did see the game and don’t agree with aspects of the OP view.

Last edited:
Is the only way to describe that. I have long been part of the 'happy clapper' camp when reacting to defeat at this level, it is amazing that we are competing with the top clubs in the country enjoy the ride ect ect however today I find it impossible to take this perspective. The one thing I find totally unacceptable is a lack of effort, to say that Newcastle wanted it more than us today is a massive understatement, we just didn't even come close to competing with them in terms of effort and energy. Regardless of what league we are in this is simply not good enough. Like many others I have sacrificed a lot of time and money to support the team this weekend. It's okay for them, Jordan Ibe who rarely looks like bothering to break into a jog and frankly looks like he's won a competition to play in a premiere league match, Lewis cook who apparently can't play a five yard pass to a team mate, Nathan Ake who's battle with Robson can not even be described as man vs boy, more like man vs toddler. What I've just seen is pathetic and nowhere near good enough, it's okay for the above mentioned, they will be boarding their first class flight soon and be home in a couple of hours, while us fans who really care slog it away on the motorway. I accept we will get beaten more often than not at this level but I'm sorry but I can't accept that and it amazes me if anyone else who attended does. Rant over.
Sacrificed?? FFS, no-one forced you to go. You get away games when we're brilliant and some where we are not so good. Yesterday was one of the latter.

We aint gonna win every game and if that surprises you well you need to get out more.

Yesterday lots when wrong, players didn't perform but this sense of entitlement you have that we should always have players who will win every competition is laughable.

Sacrificed?? FFS, no-one forced you to go. You get away games when we're brilliant and some where we are not so good. Yesterday was one of the latter.

We aint gonna win every game and if that surprises you well you need to get out more.

Yesterday lots when wrong, players didn't perform but this sense of entitlement you have that we should always have players who will win every competition is laughable.
Agree. Very rarely would I expect to win an away game and go based on that. Might ‘hope’ we win but that’s different as I’m sure we all hope we win every game!

I was only listening to flashes of radio and getting the Sky updates but I never saw the words diabolical or unacceptable mentioned once.

In fact in words alone it looked as if we were trying to win the match at 2-1 with Newcastle happy to sit back and contain.

To add, I thought it was the epitome of a great, but typical afcb away day!

Delivered courtesy of the accessible minibus (thanks afcb and Riverside Transport), met some really nice fans and stewards from NUFC, had a couple over drinks in their "Nine" bar, and watched as we battled gamely, but ultimately unsuccessfully, to try and undo a poor first 20 minutes.

Good journey home, putting the music world to rights with table.

I think we are a team that plays well against smaller footballing teams and our weakness is against physical teams.

It’s no coincidence Burnley and Newcastle beat us with Rondon, Vokes, Woods etc...or that Rashford scored off a high cross for Utd. Southampton often bully us a bit. Similarly it’s no surprise we lost to Huddersfield and West Brom last year. The flip side is when we play Fulham, Watford, West Ham and their easy continental style we look like world beaters.

Whatever your opinion on Brooks, Cook or Ibe you wouldn’t wager money on any of them in a 50/50 tackle. Start those three at a physical side up North and you’ve lost.

Lerma partly addresses this balance brilliantly but he can’t do it on his own. Cook and Ake are also slightly exposed in aerial duels against tall physical strikers but excellent against smaller technical strikers. I think this will always be a feature of our game just as even in their heyday Arsenal got undone at Stoke.

We certainly got knocked off the ball easily a lot yesterday, although losing hundreds of miles from home against a strong, physical side is much easier to take against Newcastle than, Grimsby, Bradford, Hartlepool, Lincoln or numerous others it's happened against before

I think we are a team that plays well against smaller footballing teams and our weakness is against physical teams.

It’s no coincidence Burnley and Newcastle beat us with Rondon, Vokes, Woods etc...or that Rashford scored off a high cross for Utd. Southampton often bully us a bit. Similarly it’s no surprise we lost to Huddersfield and West Brom last year. The flip side is when we play Fulham, Watford, West Ham and their easy continental style we look like world beaters.

Whatever your opinion on Brooks, Cook or Ibe you wouldn’t wager money on any of them in a 50/50 tackle. Start those three at a physical side up North and you’ve lost.

Lerma partly addresses this balance brilliantly but he can’t do it on his own. Cook and Ake are also slightly exposed in aerial duels against tall physical strikers but excellent against smaller technical strikers. I think this will always be a feature of our game just as even in their heyday Arsenal got undone at Stoke.
Good points. Last week Manchester United found that they had the players to adapt to a different game. I don't think we have such strength in depth yet.

ps. Met people from North Wales at Wetherbury Services on the way yesterday. If you're on here, nice to meet you.

Good to see you too @glennafcb!

;