Does anyone ACTUALLY think we're going down?

NWCherries98

Fans' Favourite
Because I don't. And not because of our own merits, or because "Bright Young Eddie" can turn it around, -17 etc.

Its because there are at least three worse teams than us, pure and simple. Yes, we have been pretty shocking/toothless in plenty of games this season, but if you honestly believe that we are in the bottom three teams so far this season, in terms of form and quality, then that's just a gratuitous and self-pitying amount of cynicism.

Without even thinking about it, Brighton, Huddersfield and Newcastle. Boom. All far worse than us in terms of quality, as we've seen first hand. Huddersfield? Pathetically bad, one of the worst performances against 10 men I think I've ever seen live. Brighton? Already beaten them twice, and IMO are the worst side we've faced so far. A bargain bucket West Brom under Pulis. Newcastle? Can't defend, can't attack, couldn't string a pass together against us, and somehow conceded against us in a game destined to be 0-0. Oh, and they've lost 6 out of their last 7 games. All three of these teams are comfortably worse than us; we're playing below our usual standards- they're not up to the standard.

Throw in Swansea, who are just a poor team overall, bottom of the table, and are actually performing ok in some of their games but still losing (which is the worst way to be losing). Then there's West Brom, who are a shocking team without the Pulis witchcraft to get them to 40 points. Watford, right on cue, are imploding. They'll be slipping down the table soon enough. For West Ham, the David Moyes Honeymoon period (perhaps the least glamorous a honeymoon period can be), will be over soon. And Stoke are absolutely sh***y as well, just a bad, bad team.

Long story short, if you can't have faith in Eddie Howe, then have faith in the fact that is an overrated-ass league with plenty of worse teams than us.

I think the concern is that you can't say much better about us. And several of those teams have more points than us.

With the luck we're also having, you can imagine us getting stuck down there if one of the other teams manages a good signing or hit a bizarrely good patch of form.

The main concern about Sunday for me was how Eddie was so blinkered as to his tactics. Bradbury or Groves would have been slated for that kind of ignorance.

It's one of those where you've seen teams like us go down before. I guess we're just a bit uneasy about that given that it seems other tactics and choices would have given us a better chance in certain games, it's not just that our players aren't good enough.

If anyone says on this thread that they think they will go down, you will be back with this thread the minute the season ends to berate those that do.

We are in big big trouble right now. Perhaps if we win a few of the "target" games of those around us, we might be able to lift ourselves out of what has so far been a pretty dire season.

Celebrating 1-0 defeats to Spurs/Chelsea/Man Utd etc is entirely the wrong mindset as well.

Perhaps 35 points will be enough this season with all the teams you say are cr*p

No I don't think we'll go down, but first half of season some very disappointing performances from Steve cook, king, arter. Add in ibe even adam smith not been great.
These players need to improve big time, begavic and ake big pluses though

AlGard - 19/12/2017 13:15

If anyone says on this thread that they think they will go down, you will be back with this thread the minute the season ends to berate those that do.

We are in big big trouble right now. Perhaps if we win a few of the "target" games of those around us, we might be able to lift ourselves out of what has so far been a pretty dire season.

Celebrating 1-0 defeats to Spurs/Chelsea/Man Utd etc is entirely the wrong mindset as well.

Perhaps 35 points will be enough this season with all the teams you say are cr*p

1. Im not going to berate anyone AT THE END of this season by referencing this thread, good lord. That's too much effort; I'm not about that life, champ.

2. Not sure about "big big" trouble. We're 6 points behind 10th? But yeah, it's been a disappointment so far.

3. I agree with this, and have never done this.

4. Yep. I think around 35 points will be enough.

My heart says we'll be fine.
My head says it's a 50/50 coin flip right now. My head also says it wouldn't take much to put us on the right track to safety.

We are not going down. The past performances have, at times, been poor. I can't see it continuing much longer. A corner will be turned and we'll be upwardly moving again. Get Citeh out of the way and not worry about that.

We have to be realistic. We are one point above the drop zone and we’re not winning games. It could happen.

YES!! it's absolutely possible that we could go down and it's the arrogant attitude of the OP that says a lot about what's going on during the matches ,players are coasting now ,they've done two seasons ,easy street .We just have to show up .
As for this attitude of "there are three worse teams than us pure and simple".No ! these teams that don't have a chance are picking up points just like us ,they have good performances and bad to say they're worse than us is to judge us by our best performances not the likes of the Liverpool , Burnley and Watford games .
"Brighton ,Huddersfield ,Newcastle boom" that's too easy mate all you've done is name 3 of the 4 teams we've managed to beat , when has that ever meant anything across a whole season .
We are in a relegation fight , but that's the nature of the league we're in .Hopefully by March we will be feeling somewhere near safe .

Like northstandmark said ,my heart also says we'll be ok but my head says we are in a bit of trouble here.

CherryBare - 19/12/2017 13:20

but first half of season some very disappointing performances from Steve cook, king, arter. Add in ibe even adam smith not been great.

Interestingly four of those five signed four contracts in the summer that will set them up for life..Ibe is already set up.

I wonder what affect that has on their mindset and desire to absolutely bust a gut for the club week in week out.

Every chance we'll go down. I really hope the players get a grasp of the situation they'll find themselves after City tear us another new one.

I fear we will be relegated. The problem is that we aren’t springing any surprise results, and are often failing to beat the sides that will end up in the relegation battle. To stay up we need to improve. Let’s hope we do, but there’s no sign of that at present.

...I think that we could, but don't know?

These are weird times at AFCB...the changing of the guard was always going to be difficult for Howe, he is a stubborn type who seems to not want to let go with some of the stalwart players like Pugh and Francis?

It really is important to find an injection of fresh blood to boost our season otherwise relegation may come to us I fear..

It would seem that Swansea will change their manager and maybe their fortunes soon?
WBA look more solid than us defensively (Liverpool couldn't score against them recently)
Stoke could also get a new manager bounce (Like Everton and West Ham have done)
Palace are on the up it would seem at present..
Benitez will get some millions to spend on Newcastle in January?
Brighton will be one team relegated..
Huddersfield are a bit like us and they could hang on?
Can't really see any other teams worrying about going down??

So we are in the mix, Eddie has my backing although he does need to face the challenges like never before..

I couldn’t hold my hands up and say either way at the moment but I am worried yes. There are some pretty awful teams that I think we should be above right now but we are not because we are not playing that well and haven’t all season.

Defensively we have improved but the goals for number is worryingly low and the number of chances we create has dropped as well.

Just need to get this tricky run over and see what the games after bring in terms of points return. It’s AFCB though we don’t do easy!!

I don't think so but like others have said, it's certainly possible. The reasons for this in my opinion are that:

1. Eddie is persisting with playing Francis who has to be one of the worst CB's in the league who get regular starts at this point in his career. I know Steve Cook has had a poor season compared to last but he's still been better than Francis. Francis just switches off and makes dumb mistakes like spacing out and losing his marker on Lovren's goal or making a terrible pass out of the back. In a cherry player video I remember someone on the team saying he was possibly the worst trainer on the team because he loses his concentration at times and this totally makes sense in light of how he plays.

2. Our wingers are not PL quality. This hurts to say as I love Pugh but I think Stanislas is our only PL quality winger this season, and as we know he's injured half the time. Ibe could come good but we've given him enough chances and now we need proven talent or at least someone better than him because he provides little most games sadly. Doesn't look to be improving much his head is still down too much, he'll beat his man then needlessly try to beat another instead of whipping in a cross and his final ball is not even MLS starter standard.

3. King and Defoe have no chemistry yet always play together if Wilson isn't fit. These guys though it seems at times we can't wait around anymore. They hardly ever link up outside the opponents penalty area, they both wanna be the guy finishing off moves and make their runs accordingly. We miss Afobe making space for King with his runs badly. We need to revert to playing King and Afobe when Wilson isn't fit.

;