Dominic Solanke

This is really insane. Dom seems to be one of the hardest working, most modest players at our club. Yes, there are aspects to his game that need improvement and there are other aspects to his all round play that have played a significant contribution to our success this season. The fact he was mining Fletch's lower league sh!thouse expertise to improve his play with his back to goal doesn't seem prima donna to me.

I've figured out what it is with Dom. His last few performances have been ok although still missed the one on one against Southampton, albeit he was offside and wouldn't have counted. He just can't seem to score one on ones. Against Leeds he scored a fairly instinctive goal which shows he might have a few goalscoring braincells in there somewhere but Ive figured him out . He's afraid of challenging. Against the worst defence in April he didn't win a single aerial challenge against their centre backs. He never jumps. Neto puts the ball long and Dom doesn't win any aerial duels with opposing CB's. He's chickenshit. For a guy his size the way he tumbles to the floor is embarrassing to a point where I was even shouting at him to get up and stop looking like an idiot against Leeds. Keiffer came on and won headers , none of which Dom had the skill to read and anticipate . I will say Dom seems to love himself and I get the impression he thinks he's a superstar at our club when he's actually extremely average. The Archer !! The only Archer relation to Dom is the Quiver. Something Dom does everytime he attempts to challenge anyone aerially . I know I won't get my wish but I hope he's one we ship off in the summer. Him and his gloves.

Just out of interest, are there any white players that you feel this strongly about?

Yeah, Dom's picked up again. Was thinking today, he just needs to work on shifting between his different modes. He has to do so much in GON's system, but as much discussed here, when he has no time to think, his finishing is instinctive and sharp. It's when he has to move from battering ram, ceaseless running, hold up play, creating chances for others to shark minded poacher he struggles a little, but I think it's something he'll no doubt be working on. The man is a machine. I love him and he has such a good, positive attitude towards the game.

only just seen this
perfect assessment
:clap:

Solanke’s finishing ability is a very interesting topic. I think that he is an incredibly instinctive finisher but that he struggles when he actually has time to think. Looking back at his goals this season, every one of them is an instinctive strike in which he had to react very quickly in the moment. This is a skill that can’t really be taught and does demonstrate, to me at least, that he has the potential to become a consistent top level goal scorer of given the right service. This instinct he has allows him to finish chances that other strikers, even at this level, would not.

If he can improve his general finishing and learn to become more clinical in moments in which he does have time and space to weigh up what to do, then he could get to Ivan Toney/Ollie Watkins level imo. If we’re being honest, I think very few of us expected him to find the back of the net when he found himself through on goal against Southampton. His finish was weak and lacked any real conviction, these are the chances that he struggles with. I genuinely believe that against Leeds, had their defender not been closing him down so rapidly for his goal, then he wouldn’t have scored. He was forced to go into instinctive mode, had that defender not been there then he would have very likely taken too many touches and seen the angle narrow. If he can learn to access these instincts at any given moment, then he could go very far.

We also can’t ignore his all round game. His pace, hold up play, dribbling ability, creativity and work rate. If (big if) he can be more clinical in certain situations then he has the potential to be the complete centre forward.

I've figured out what it is with Dom. His last few performances have been ok although still missed the one on one against Southampton, albeit he was offside and wouldn't have counted. He just can't seem to score one on ones. Against Leeds he scored a fairly instinctive goal which shows he might have a few goalscoring braincells in there somewhere but Ive figured him out . He's afraid of challenging. Against the worst defence in April he didn't win a single aerial challenge against their centre backs. He never jumps. Neto puts the ball long and Dom doesn't win any aerial duels with opposing CB's. He's chickenshit. For a guy his size the way he tumbles to the floor is embarrassing to a point where I was even shouting at him to get up and stop looking like an idiot against Leeds. Keiffer came on and won headers , none of which Dom had the skill to read and anticipate . I will say Dom seems to love himself and I get the impression he thinks he's a superstar at our club when he's actually extremely average. The Archer !! The only Archer relation to Dom is the Quiver. Something Dom does everytime he attempts to challenge anyone aerially . I know I won't get my wish but I hope he's one we ship off in the summer. Him and his gloves.
Is there a transfer wish list for forum posters? ;-)

Thought he was excellent today and should have had a penalty as well. I worry the day we no longer have him up front for us.
Our opinions obviously differ. If the new owners want the club to thrive in this division then a goal scorer will be on their list. It's not just Dom's lack of ability to score consistently at this level it's his all round game that makes him mediocre. He has good points and I agree with those who compliment him on his work ethic although I believe a lot of his efforts should be channeled towards the final third of the pitch and being around the penalty box. He has a good number of assists but surely he is the one , as a forward, who should be being assisted. Like I said he's a good runner but that can't compensate his lack of aerial combative ability, his touch and control and his ability to read a game and be a 'step' ahead . We will need to sign another striker to achieve the heights wanted by the new owners.

Our opinions obviously differ. If the new owners want the club to thrive in this division then a goal scorer will be on their list. It's not just Dom's lack of ability to score consistently at this level it's his all round game that makes him mediocre. He has good points and I agree with those who compliment him on his work ethic although I believe a lot of his efforts should be channeled towards the final third of the pitch and being around the penalty box. He has a good number of assists but surely he is the one , as a forward, who should be being assisted. Like I said he's a good runner but that can't compensate his lack of aerial combative ability, his touch and control and his ability to read a game and be a 'step' ahead . We will need to sign another striker to achieve the heights wanted by the new owners.

IMO we need to sign another striker anyway, regardless of whether people rate Dom or not. Moore is a 3rd/backup or alternative option, but I feel we lose too much to overall effectiveness when we have to reply on somewhere relatively slow/immobile to replace Dom when injured. Disrupts our flow/style too much. Moore is fine as an option from the bench.

We need someone 'lively' who is ready to compete with Dom, and come in and be relatively reliable right away.

Not sure if Semenyo is more of an inside forward/inverted winger, but whatever he is, he doesn;t look like someone who can lead the line as lone central striker at this level quite yet.

;