Dominic Solanke

In his interview last night on TNT, did the question come up re interest in him etc?
Didn't see it, but unless he gets injured, he'll be off in the summer. Both he and our club will get an offer that simple can't be refused. Good to bring the Turkish Delight in now, so he has time to settle and step up next season.

Not sure if this has been on here before.

The 2023-24 campaign has been something of a coming-of-age story for Solanke, however. No more is he that once-hyped English striker who looks more at home in the Championship; no, now he’s one of the Premier League’s in-form strikers and an absolutely vital component in his team’s setup as he prepares to face Liverpool – another of his former clubs – this Sunday.

His transformation has been considerable, and swift. Questions were still being asked about him as recently as last season, with Solanke going 1,020 minutes (or 17 hours and 20 minutes) without a Premier League goal for Bournemouth between November 2022 and April 2023, but this term he’s enjoyed a decisiveness that we’ve simply never seen from him before at top-flight level.

Bored? Seriously though Dom's turnaround this season has been seismic and I put that solely down to the coaching staff. So many of my nit picking over Dom was his positional sense and how he was almost everywhere on the pitch but in the right place. What is so noticeable is his positioning in games now. He seems glued to the penalty spot area when we attack whereas he would've been on the left wing, or the right wing, on the edge of our own box . It's not rocket science that be in the box, let the creative players do their bit and he stands more chance of scoring. So credit AI for turning him around. Isn't it interesting that in that stat attachment you posted it lists Dom's last 6 seasons at AFCB yet has him pictured in a Liverpool shirt.
For the good of the team and the success of the team I hope his form continues.

Bored? Seriously though Dom's turnaround this season has been seismic and I put that solely down to the coaching staff. So many of my nit picking over Dom was his positional sense and how he was almost everywhere on the pitch but in the right place. What is so noticeable is his positioning in games now. He seems glued to the penalty spot area when we attack whereas he would've been on the left wing, or the right wing, on the edge of our own box . It's not rocket science that be in the box, let the creative players do their bit and he stands more chance of scoring. So credit AI for turning him around. Isn't it interesting that in that stat attachment you posted it lists Dom's last 6 seasons at AFCB yet has him pictured in a Liverpool shirt.
100% this. Andoni said he couldn’t understand why Dom was doing some of the deep and flank work that GON made him do and told him I just want you in the box and we are reaping the benefits of that as, more importantly, is Dom.

Zab a surprise for a CB to cover that much ground

It’s the high press, he pushes forward a lot beyond the half way line to chase and close down.
100% this. Andoni said he couldn’t understand why Dom was doing some of the deep and flank work that GON made him do and told him I just want you in the box and we are reaping the benefits of that as, more importantly, is Dom.

The 29 goals in the championship, which was the comparison, came when he was coming deep, running the channels, winning defensive headers and running around “lost”.

Let’s not rewrite history, this came under Parker and a young striker has evolved over time, taken one step back to take three steps forward. To realise his potential.

It happens the only credit goes to Solanke. This isn’t a point scoring exercise over O’Neil or Iraola.

It’s the high press, he pushes forward a lot beyond the half way line to chase and close down.

The 29 goals in the championship, which was the comparison, came when he was coming deep, running the channels, winning defensive headers and running around “lost”.

Let’s not rewrite history, this came under Parker and a young striker has evolved over time, taken one step back to take three steps forward. To realise his potential.

It happens the only credit goes to Solanke. This isn’t a point scoring exercise over O’Neil or Iraola.
It’s not a point scoring exercise. Solanke said himself the style of play this year is behind his leap in scoring. Maybe he has got it wrong DJ?

It’s not a point scoring exercise. Solanke said himself the style of play this year is behind his leap in scoring. Maybe he has got it wrong DJ?

Yes we’re a more attacking team, with more attacking quality players, who now create more chances in a team that attacks more, so he scores more goals.

Credit goes to the scouting and signing of Solanke, the players who support him signed by the recruitment team and the manager signed by the recruitment team.

That’s what you’re saying?

Nothing to do with the hard work of the player, who has scored across the Championship and Premier League under 3 different managers, in squads that have changed dramatically in that time. But he’s stepped up and not been replaced like the others.

Yes we’re a more attacking team, with more attacking quality players, who now create more chances in a team that attacks more, so he scores more goals.

Credit goes to the scouting and signing of Solanke, the players who support him signed by the recruitment team and the manager signed by the recruitment team.

That’s what you’re saying?

Nothing to do with the hard work of the player, who has scored across the Championship and Premier League under 3 different managers, in squads that have changed dramatically in that time. But he’s stepped up and not been replaced like the others.
Lot of putting words into my mouth… you should change your name to Del. ;)

The success of any player is down to that player first and foremost but kind of thought that went without saying. People are crediting Howe with the transformation of Almeiron and Joelinton for example without people chipping in saying ‘it’s the players that have done it’

Solanke had an amazing pedigree had been capped by England and cost 20m so him scoring in the championship was never the issue. The problem in the way he was perceived were his four seasons in the prem were incredibly underwhelming until he found a manager that unlocked his potential at elite level. He’s said this himself but while we are to give all the credit to his hard work we are not allowed to credit his opinion apparently.

Solanke had an amazing pedigree had been capped by England and cost 20m so him scoring in the championship was never the issue.

Erm, it very much is in the context of what I was responding to with the Solanke and Surridge post from August 2021.

You can't just then ignore that because you're making a point on his form over the past few months to vindicate whatever angle you're on.

I was discussing his recent trajectory since August 2021 with a small look at "one of our own" Sam Surridge. Who has gone on to do very little since the recruitment team sold him for a very decent price.

I mildly disagree. The drop in level from PL to Champ is huge as again being shown by last seasons relegated teams. That drop plus the level of squad we had that season helped Dom's goal tally. In the PL it had been at best unremarkable. This season has seen a huge change in his positional sense and has allowed other players to play their position without Dom being in the way. I put that down to AI telling Dom to believe in those around him. We've almost gone full circle where we once needed to rely on our midfield to score the goals to win games we now have a striker who can do that and seemingly out goals from midfield , especially the number 10 position has dropped off massively

;