Dominic Solanke

Other than an always welcome trip down memory lane of when @SlowDownDerek offered me out ;) I don’t really get posts like this.

Players change you know. Solanke was crap for his first year and a half. He was a centre forward that scored 1 goal in his first 50 league games and was out of his depth on every level. He cost 20m. Put those two facts together and he got criticised correctly. He is now getting praised correctly as his always willing work rate is now being coached and developed correctly and we are seeing the potential Liverpool and Chelsea saw come to fruition. He is playing at a completely different level and standard of defending though which is the caveat.

That’s brilliant and we all hope it turns into Premier League form. It doesn’t make the criticism he got wrong. Just as if you dig out all of the 2017 threads eulogising over Ryan Fraser we don’t all have to stick to that opinion too. Do we?

Times change, players change and opinions change.

Other than an always welcome trip down memory lane of when @SlowDownDerek offered me out ;) I don’t really get posts like this.

Players change you know. Solanke was crap for his first year and a half. He was a centre forward that scored 1 goal in his first 50 league games and was out of his depth on every level. He cost 20m. Put those two facts together and he got criticised correctly. He is now getting praised correctly as his always willing work rate is now being coached and developed correctly and we are seeing the potential Liverpool and Chelsea saw come to fruition. He is playing at a completely different level and standard of defending though which is the caveat.

That’s brilliant and we all hope it turns into Premier League form. It doesn’t make the criticism he got wrong. Just as if you dig out all of the 2017 threads eulogising over Ryan Fraser we don’t all have to stick to that opinion too. Do we?

Right now he looks like he's found his level. He's still young so he might improve or he might just be like Pukki and Mitrovich and never quite bridge the gap. Hopefully, we'll find out one way or the other next season.

I think you only 'dont get it' because you've got as good a track record as most!

A lot of these posts are from people who can't wait to give their judgement on a player. But it can go both ways, some players get early praise, then lose their mojo.

Because the forum is fun when we stir things up a bit sometimes ;)

The flip side to your argument was that he was a young lad showing great promise that most people who understand football could see. I would like to think that a couple of bad games for the current youngsters on the team don't draw out the "not fit to wear" brigade when sadly I know it probably will.

We all make mistakes when judging players...some are more clear cut than others though.

Because the forum is fun when we stir things up a bit sometimes ;)

The flip side to your argument was that he was a young lad showing great promise that most people who understand football could see. I would like to think that a couple of bad games for the current youngsters on the team don't draw out the "not fit to wear" brigade when sadly I know it probably will.

We all make mistakes when judging players...some are more clear cut than others though.
But a lot of people who understand football didn’t see that promise because at that time, in that league it wasn’t there. We can see it now though in this time in this league and are all hopeful it can make the step up.

Fraser comparison is totally different to Solanke. People were/are pissed off with fraser as he openly admitted not trying, then refused to sign a contract. Can't recall Dom ever 'downing tools'.

Mousset has more talent than Solanke, he scored a goal last week that Solanke could never score. Unfortunately for him he hasn’t yet captured the desire or workrate of Solanke and has a totally different attitude which looks a few years on like it won’t change. In the time this was written though Mousset was a better Premier league player and still has a better premier league goals record.

It is fun you are right, debating football is always bants but you have to give context too!

Mousset has a great shot on him, no doubt. But everything else in his game is missing. It's the reason his return is so poor.

Christie is not the most skillfull winger or the fastest but his aggression, energy and effort take him to the next level.

Solanke was never a natural finisher but the rest of his game makes up for it.

Mousset has more talent than Solanke, he scored a goal last week that Solanke could never score. Unfortunately for him he hasn’t yet captured the desire or workrate of Solanke and has a totally different attitude which looks a few years on like it won’t change. In the time this was written though Mousset was a better Premier league player and still has a better premier league goals record.

It is fun you are right, debating football is always bants but you have to give context too!
Mousset scored 3 goals for us in the Premier league in 58 appearances. Dom scored 3 in 42 appearances.
Admittedly mousset then got 6 in 41 appearances for sheff utd.
Hardly conclusive facts to say mousset was a better Premier league player.

Mousset scored 3 goals for us in the Premier league in 58 appearances. Dom scored 3 in 42 appearances.
Admittedly mousset then got 6 in 41 appearances for sheff utd.
Hardly conclusive facts to say mousset was a better Premier league player.
Well he took some teams apart in spells which we never really saw from Dom. Anyway the important thing is not the past as it’s gone. It’s the now which is brilliant for Dom, and us and Lys is getting his act together too so we should all be happy.

Well he took some teams apart in spells which we never really saw from Dom. Anyway the important thing is not the past as it’s gone. It’s the now which is brilliant for Dom, and us and Lys is getting his act together too so we should all be happy.
Well yes as you say immaterial now, Dom is clearly the better player, but must have missed those games when lys took any team apart

Read it all now. Mousset scores a goal from 18 yards out and apparently that means he has more talent.
]
40 seconds in. And ask yourself if one of our players scored this would you describe it as ‘scores a goal from 18 yards out’ or would you give it a bit more love!!

Well yes as you say immaterial now, Dom is clearly the better player, but must have missed those games when lys took any team apart
Sheff u v Man U is one obvious one that springs to mind. We were debating both players when one wasnt playing for us (part of the problem of looking back at old threads as I was alluding to earlier)

40 seconds in. And ask yourself if one of our players scored this would you describe it as ‘scores a goal from 18 yards out’ or would you give it a bit more love!!

No mention on the Solanke goal that he “could never score” then? Perhaps if that was scored by Mousset you would give it more love.

No mention on the Solanke goal that he “could never score” then? Perhaps if that was scored by Mousset you would give it more love.
It’s a very different goal. Both excellent goals. The pace, cutting inside beating two players that’s the bit that’s not Dom. It’s a spurious argument though because Lys wouldn’t have had the bravery to score the one Dom got yesterday as we saw at Dean Court a few weeks back. Don’t confuse talent with effectiveness. I think Ibe was more talented than Ritchie but I know who I preferred.

It’s a very different goal. Both excellent goals. The pace, cutting inside beating two players that’s the bit that’s not Dom. It’s a spurious argument though because Lys wouldn’t have had the bravery to score the one Dom got yesterday as we saw at Dean Court a few weeks back. Don’t confuse talent with effectiveness. I think Ibe was more talented than Ritchie but I know who I preferred.

You said based on that goal he had more talent. I could argue Dom’s back heel goal last season showed he had more talent.

All the goal that you’ve mentioned shows is Mousset has pace.

;