Eddie Howe - AFCB - Newcastle United

injuries do happen.

They do indeed. Seems odd there’s so much focus on Newcastle though.

Seven other clubs have had only one or two fewer injuries than them and other clubs have had players on average out injured for longer.

So why the focus on Newcastle?

Seven other clubs have had only one or two fewer injuries than them and other clubs have had players on average out injured for longer.

Looking at the number of days missed, I would imagine that it has to do with the severity of the injuries they have suffered.
They have over 200 more days lost than anybody else.
I imagine that the club feel unfortunate not just with the number of injuries suffered but also with the fact that many of those injuries have been quite long term and/or were suffered by "key" players. :shrug:

Because they are a glamour club owned by Saudi Arabia, and at this stage their investment isn't to guarantee 7th position.

Perhaps?

Either that, or Eddie trains them too hard.

I'm not sure I follow the data either. There's been about 200 days since the season started. Fredericks has been out all that time, Marcondes up until Jan, we've had an additional full-back injured pretty much full time, Adams almost entirely out, and Scott missed almost half the season. Not sure if Brooks was technically injured or just struggling for fitness.

I'm surprised that it comes in well under 600 days.

Fredericks, when he was available, looked like a bloody good left back.

Unfortunately for us, and him, he was always injured.

Bit like Stanislas.......

A great shame for all involved.

Instead we have Outtara who is always fit, but League 1 at best.

Interesting article in the Guardian today. Remembering the same happened here. I used to watch his sides here and think how can they possibly keep up that level of ferocity and intensity. If anything Newcastle are even more intense than we were. Keeping all the same people around you as well including fitness team means there’s a danger you live in an echo chamber a bit. If as rumoured he does add Hughes then that’s another one.

View attachment 12741

VAR should be scrapped…the football league seem to be managing without it?
It is toy for some moaning managers/referees who are just using it to have excuses for situations on the field of play.
Football (or indeed any sport) shouldn’t be subjected to such forensic measures.

It seems to me that another major factor in this is the extended VAR breaks we have seen this season during which the players get cold, especially later in games in mid winter, and then have to immediately get back up to speed again.
Are you for real?

VAR can blamed for a lot of things in football that are wrong.

Newcastle injury list, and injuries in general isn't one of them.

Do you have any preuve to back up your claims?

Are you for real?

I dont think VAR is solely responsible, but the coincidence surely implies its a contributing factor.

Muscles are like 'blu-tack', they perform better and less likely to break when warm. Stopping for minutes on end and standing around is not conducive for high performing muscles.

The same for extended game time, its adding more stress on the muscles, which i think is a contributing factor.

All in all, I dont think there is one thing, but lots of little factors all having impacts

I dont think VAR is solely responsible, but the coincidence surely implies its a contributing factor.

Muscles are like 'blu-tack', they perform better and less likely to break when warm. Stopping for minutes on end and standing around is not conducive for high performing muscles.

The same for extended game time, its adding more stress on the muscles, which i think is a contributing factor.

All in all, I dont think there is one thing, but lots of little factors all having impacts

The players create more gaps in play than VAR with the modern 'game management' strategies involving lots of falling over and pretending.

3 or 4 extra minutes? Does that make such a huge difference?
Considering the average game is only 60 minutes long it's only 4/5% longer and there are more subs now to help with it.

If it was due to players cooling down during breaks in play, physios would be all over it.

Are you for real?

I don't doubt that Eddie's training methods, very intense as we know they are, must be a factor. The ACLs specifically that Newcastle keep seeing do sound familiar. Wouldn't wish those on anyone.

That said I did read earlier in the season that professionals thought the now 100 minute games + a few VAR breaks a game + all the usual stoppages are likely to be a cause of increasing hamstring injuries this season.

The players create more gaps in play than VAR with the modern 'game management' strategies involving lots of falling over and pretending.
More in number yes, but not in length of time where the players are not really moving.

You're point coupled with VAR means its a lot more stop start than it should/used be.

;