Eddie to Celtic?

Latest from Scotland.

Eddie Howe remains firmly on course to be named Celtic manager and contractual reasons are behind the delay.

Howe is one of the favourites to replace Roy Hodgson at Crystal Palace but Record Sport understands he’s not interested in a switch to south London.

Celtic must wait until Howe’s former club Bournemouth’s season is over to name him as boss due to financial obligations.

The Cherries are 1-0 up against Brentford after the first-leg of their Championship play-off semi-final on Monday night.

Howe will land a huge pay-off bonus from Bournemouth if they are promoted while he remains on gardening leave.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...ews/eddie-howe-celtic-update-trusted-24137125

Don't blame him for not joining Palace, would be one of the most dull and depressing moves he can make.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ
I don’t get why Howe is likely to receive a huge pay out if we get promoted? It will have been nothing to do with him??
Sounds like BS to me. I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if that's true.

Of course we'll continue to pay his salary until his contract expires ( if that was pre-arranged ) but I can't see him getting a bonus upon promotion considering that he did not take charge of a single game this season.

I expect there is no substance to that statement tbh. It makes absolutely zero sense. If somebody at the club agreed to that, they need firing !
JT on the other hand might be in line for a few more quid if we go up. I could understand that !

I don’t get why Howe is likely to receive a huge pay out if we get promoted? It will have been nothing to do with him??
Will all depend what was agreed as part of any settlement agreement that was signed. I work with remuneration across all levels where I am and you'll see senior people be shown the door but still receive bonuses (depending on their arrangement) for years after they've left even though they've not been able to influence the performance of the business. This could also be a contractual agreement when EH agreed to reduce his salary. Not saying I agree with it, but there's loads of avenues they could've gone down in order for something like this to be applicable.

Sounds like BS to me. I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if that's true.

Of course we'll continue to pay his salary until his contract expires ( if that was pre-arranged ) but I can't see him getting a bonus upon promotion considering that he did not take charge of a single game this season.

I expect there is no substance to that statement tbh. It makes absolutely zero sense. If somebody at the club agreed to that, they need firing !
JT on the other hand might be in line for a few more quid if we go up. I could understand that !
If EH was 'asked' to leave then whatever was in his contract will apply. Its a weird world where most of us would just be fired, but the 'elite' get rewarded.

I really don't think Eddie would enjoy anything about a stint at Celtic. ..a totally alien Culture ...he has to balance settling in with Instant Results as demanded... as well as settling his family into a very different place.
At Palace he would be in a vibrant atmosphere with the chance to become London Top Dogs....above Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal..exciting move for wife and kids too!
I'm not saying Glasgow has nothing to offer but I'm sure its not the right move for any of them.
Gerrard has done well but...he was a big name/experience player from another big club/city.
This could be a bollux /bullsh*t post in some eyes but hey ho...let's see what happens.

If EH was 'asked' to leave then whatever was in his contract will apply. Its a weird world where most of us would just be fired, but the 'elite' get rewarded.
He must have signed this current contract during our spell in the PL.
Part of that contract would have been relegation and promotion ( post relegation ) clauses because it would have been a multi-year contract, so I get that.

I think we can conclude from this then, despite all of the spin at the time, that EH was fired ( mutual consent in this instance meaning "Please leave right now but we'll uphold what's left of your contract" ).
Otherwise we wouldn't voluntarily continue to pay him, surely ?
So if his contract still stands as it once was, then I suppose there could be a promotion bonus in it for him ( as bizarre as that appears ).

The famous "mutual consent" which was communicated at the time would infer that we were prepared to let EH leave but then we would have at least had the opportunity to negotiate the terms of his leaving ( and remove the promotion bonus for instance ) or otherwise just hold him to his contract and expect him to continue coming into DC at 6am every day for a further year :p

It all sounds like a total mess to me.

Maybe in future the promotion/relegation clauses should only apply when the employee is actually currently incumbent in the role and not on gardening leave.
There you go AFCB, add that into your next manager contract.
Put the millions I just saved you towards the new training ground or stadium !

Like you say, a crazy world where you can get rewarded for failure and in this case without even contributing to the success you are being rewarded for.

I'd like some of that !

Last edited:
I am staggered at the negativity shown by some towards someone who took us from minus 17 in the fourth division to five seasons in the Prem!

We only got relegated from the Prem due to those ridiculous VAR over-rule 'handball' decisions away V Burnley and that bizarre Aston Villa 'ghost goal'!

I am not on the inside and have no idea for the reasons for his departure. However, I for one do not begrudge him a big payday if we do manage to get back to the Prem!

I notice Richard Hughes name being mentioned again with joining up with Eddie Howe at Celtic plus others from AFCB now our club will not be going up.

Before it was reported that Hughes wanted to remain on the South Coast.

So either he has changed his mind or the Scottish links have more up to date info.

JT has traditionally been EH's right hand man, so would assume that he would link up again with EH (assuming EH gets the Manager's job)?

;