Eddie to Celtic?

Not great timing for AFCB staff to be distracted by holding talks with another club. A scout is one thing, he's not with the squad daily, but Weatherstone and Purches certainly are. They're professional enough I'm sure, but still not ideal at the crunch time. Our season end is a month away, it could happen then surely.

Not great timing for AFCB staff to be distracted by holding talks with another club. A scout is one thing, he's not with the squad daily, but Weatherstone and Purches certainly are. They're professional enough I'm sure, but still not ideal at the crunch time. Our season end is a month away, it could happen then surely.
Think Celtic wanted it sorted before the end of the season......I read somewhere that their European campaign starts middle of June ?

Seems an odd time to say about the backroom staff potentially when we’ve still got the play offs to play.

I’m sure if it is true, Eddie wouldn’t be happy with it being in the press

Also they are under contract at AFCB, so any approach I hope was made through the correct channels.

Eddie as we know re player signings keeps things very close to his chest, so if the media are correct with their reporting, be interesting where the information came from.

I read it as a newspaper saying who he could want, assuming he even takes the job.

Celtic are a massive club in Glasgow, and the paper needs to fill column inches daily.

So we could lose head scout Mark Burchill, plus Simon Weatherstone and Steve
Purches according to this story.

Seems Richard Hughes wishes to remain on the South Coast.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/eddie-howe-3-celtic-backroom-23995928

Given this snippet from that article:

'..If Eddie Howe is Mr Bournemouth then Purches is his trusty sidekick.

His association with the club pre-dates Howe's and stretches back more than 20 years. He played for them at the turn of the century when they couldn't have been further from the Premier League......'

We can be sure that the scribe hasn't a clue what he's wittering on about.

I'm still not convinced by the whole Eddie to Celtic... Apart from the lure of maybe European football, there is no competition up there... The football is woeful.

For me I would suggest he is holding out for a couple of vacancies in the PL, yet to open up... Palace? Soton? Newcastle? Maybe even Spurs...?

I'm still not convinced by the whole Eddie to Celtic... Apart from the lure of maybe European football, there is no competition up there... The football is woeful.

For me I would suggest he is holding out for a couple of vacancies in the PL, yet to open up... Palace? Soton? Newcastle? Maybe even Spurs...?

I think its a decent job for him and career progression. no perfect job for him imo. don't think any of those jobs are better for him - apart from spurs, but thats unrealistic. Newcastle great club, but no chance he'd work for ashley. saints is a decent role, no need to move etc wouldn;t blame him for going there. palace just seems downright depressing :D

I reckon this is nailed on, waiting for our season to end see how we get on as maybe would effect comp, before taking half the back room staff to join him.

Last edited:
I'd be gutted to see Purches leave... Over the last couple of years there have been a lot of good things said about him and how he goes about his job... He's also one of the last remaining people left that have a 'relationship' with the club...

I'd be gutted to see Purches leave... Over the last couple of years there have been a lot of good things said about him and how he goes about his job... He's also one of the last remaining people left that have a 'relationship' with the club...

will be interesting to see if he takes the previously maligned neil moss...

;