Ellis Simms

Nope, we needed a striker and he came in and did a job. He wasn't prolific but he was key to our play in that first season and the few goals he scored were vital.

He then played 30 games in the best season we had in this division until this season scoring six and with a few assists. Then we sold him for similar to what we paid.

He was a good signing and I will die on this hill.

Nope, we needed a striker and he came in and did a job. He wasn't prolific but he was key to our play in that first season and the few goals he scored were vital.

He then played 30 games in the best season we had in this division until this season scoring six and with a few assists. Then we sold him for similar to what we paid.I

He was a good signing and I will die on this hill.
Would you have been happy for him to be our first choice striker?......for the money we paid for him which at the time was huge for us you can't say he was anything other than underwhelming.....

Would you have been happy for him to be our first choice striker?......for the money we paid for him which at the time was huge for us you can't say he was anything other than underwhelming.....

I was more than happy with how everything turned out. Other than the sitter he missed at St Mary's.

I said it wasn’t always possible :grinning: We had King, Murray and Wilson… we had King Afobe and Wilson the year after… and King, Defoe and Wilson the year after that. Mousset was the fourth developing one.

Murray, Afobe and Defoe all chipped in with vital goals.
howe played with 2 strikers all the time though.

Granted it was with 1 slightly deeper, but was more 4411.

10 was pretty much always another striker rather than an amc type of player. Which says it all imo.

Whereas AI is more 4231... with tge 10 being an amc all the time, rather than a striker... apart from last weekend imo.If deploying 2 strikers each week, you'd expect there to be 4 in the squad... 3 of which pretty much pl level, with perhaps the 4th as high potential youngster who was more of a work in progress.

4 simewhat decent strikers was standard in pl squads across the board during 442 era (decades long...).

I agree with your earlier statement though, that you need 2 pl level strikers in modern 1 man up top squads these days. With 1 work in progress.

Or inverted winger, amc who's also adept at leading the line if needed.

Official EPL stats. Big chance I think is something like 0.5 xG. All EPL games for all teams are included.

What time periods? Those aren't the number of goals those players have scored in the PL. Are they somehow excluding goals that were not scored from 'big chances'?

What time periods? Those aren't the number of goals those players have scored in the PL. Are they somehow excluding goals that were not scored from 'big chances'?
"All EPL games for all teams are included." - from my previous message.

Solanke has scored 28 goals of which 20 were big chances
Wilson has scored 87 goals, 68 were big chances

"All EPL games for all teams are included." - from my previous message.

Solanke has scored 28 goals of which 20 were big chances
Wilson has scored 87 goals, 68 were big chances

Ok well I'm sure they've got justification for this 'big chance' definition they have conjured up but it seems a strange thing to do. If they've scored it was clearly a big enough chance, not sure it needs a statistician to compartmentalise chances after the event for no obvious reason.

Ok well I'm sure they've got justification for this 'big chance' definition they have conjured up but it seems a strange thing to do. If they've scored it was clearly a big enough chance, not sure it needs a statistician to compartmentalise chances after the event for no obvious reason.

Whether statistical or subjective I've rarely heard a discussion about a game where someone hasn't talked about the number of good/big changes. Seems logical that the good folks at Opta would want to quantify it.

Dang, beaten to it by Kudos!
Was going to make the comment that Afobe was like the original Nicholas Jackson.
It blew my mind how many times he was able to get into positions where he was 1-on-1 with the keeper, and then not score.
His ability to create the chances was impressive, but the finishing was abysmal.
It's hard to know what to do with a player like that, because they're doing 90% of their job perfectly.

I don’t accept that we cannot attract a more proven forward. If we are to progress as Foley has talked about, then replacing our star striker with a thirteen goal championship forward just isn’t going to cut it. We can’t be replacing one of our most important players with a player we will look to ‘develop.’ How can we honestly expect to finish higher in the league next season if we replace Dom with this calibre of player?

Unless Foley’s words were just hot air, and he doesn’t have any real ambitions here other than to try to stay up every year.

;