Ellis Simms

I don’t accept that we cannot attract a more proven forward. If we are to progress as Foley has talked about, then replacing our star striker with a thirteen goal championship forward just isn’t going to cut it. We can’t be replacing one of our most important players with a player we will look to ‘develop.’ How can we honestly expect to finish higher in the league next season if we replace Dom with this calibre of player?

Unless Foley’s words were just hot air, and he doesn’t have any real ambitions here other than to try to stay up every year.
Do you know how many PL clubs want a 'proven' forward?......about the same number that were looking for one last season is my guess.....how many of them got one?.....it's everybody's dream isn't it?

I don’t accept that we cannot attract a more proven forward. If we are to progress as Foley has talked about, then replacing our star striker with a thirteen goal championship forward just isn’t going to cut it. We can’t be replacing one of our most important players with a player we will look to ‘develop.’ How can we honestly expect to finish higher in the league next season if we replace Dom with this calibre of player?

Unless Foley’s words were just hot air, and he doesn’t have any real ambitions here other than to try to stay up every year.

We're not replacing Dom with someone with a proven track record as good as Dom's. It would cost £50m.

We're not replacing Dom with someone with a proven track record as good as Dom's. It would cost £50m.
Not saying that, of course we won’t replace him with a prolific proven PL striker. The only clubs that sign those are the top six. We should be aiming to replace him with a player that at least has a track record of scoring/playing in a major European league. Not a player who has just scored 13 in the championship and is currently no better than Kieffer Moore. We can do better.

Do you know how many PL clubs want a 'proven' forward?......about the same number that were looking for one last season is my guess.....how many of them got one?.....it's everybody's dream isn't it?
I think you misunderstand me when I use the word proven. A proven PL striker would be impossible to sign. A proven striker from another European league would be attainable. Heck even a proven prolific championship striker would be attainable and have a good chance of making an impact straight away. Simms is currently an average championship striker, he may well develop but we shouldn’t be looking to sign him until he does.

I’m not against signing championship players, Sargeant from Norwich would be a more than adequate replacement for Dom and could make an impact straight away, for example. I’m against replacing our top scorer with a player who will clearly need time to develop and not be able to make an immediate impact.

Not saying that, of course we won’t replace him with a prolific proven PL striker. The only clubs that sign those are the top six. We should be aiming to replace him with a player that at least has a track record of scoring/playing in a major European league. Not a player who has just scored 13 in the championship and is currently no better than Kieffer Moore. We can do better.

We've got one of them tbf.

I think you misunderstand me when I use the word proven. A proven PL striker would be impossible to sign. A proven striker from another European league would be attainable. Heck even a proven prolific championship striker would be attainable and have a good chance of making an impact straight away. Simms is currently an average championship striker, he may well develop but we shouldn’t be looking to sign him until he does.

I’m not against signing championship players, Sargeant from Norwich would be a more than adequate replacement for Dom and could make an impact straight away, for example. I’m against replacing our top scorer with a player who will clearly need time to develop and not be able to make an immediate impact.
I’m pleased to hear your not against signing championship players.

If we wait for players to develop before we sign them then we won't be signing them.......i'd love to know why no other PL team has managed to sign these 'proven' strikers from another European league.....they are very thin on the ground.....i wouldn't be against signing Sargent even though he's missed a lot of games though injury' but it's a bit of a stretch to say he's an adequate replacement for Dom..... he only scored 13 goals last season in a parachute team and scored twice in Norwich's last PL season.....up until this season you'd be calling him a very average Championship striker.

If we wait for players to develop before we sign them then we won't be signing them.......i'd love to know why no other PL team has managed to sign these 'proven' strikers from another European league.....they are very thin on the ground.....i wouldn't be against signing Sargent even though he's missed a lot of games though injury' but it's a bit of a stretch to say he's an adequate replacement for Dom..... he only scored 13 goals last season in a parachute team and scored twice in Norwich's last PL season.....up until this season you'd be calling him a very average Championship striker.
Forest- Awoniyi
Wolves- Kalajdzic
Everton- Beto

Just off the top of my head.

Do you think Carlton Morris would be out of our price range? He’s a proven PL forward.

They are rare but it is possible.

Forest- Awoniyi

Wolves- Kalajdzic

Everton- Beto

Just off the top of my head.

Do you think Carlton Morris would be out of our price range? He’s a proven PL forward.

They are rare but it is possible.
Forest- Awoniyi....6 goals... 17m

Wolves- Kalajdzic......2 goals... loan

Everton- Beto 3 goals.......25m

I mean i can see why they are rare tbf.......lol
Carlton Morris is ok........if you want to sign a 28 yr old......not sure thats the way forward personally.

Coventry have done well this season. That has a lot to do with their manager. He seems to be one of those who improves his players.

If AI, thinks he can improve Ellis Simms and turn him into an EPL forward, I'll trust his judgement.

The Coventry supporting fan in my workplace, doesn't think he's ready.
Yeah I'll go along with that, Sunderland fans seemed to agree and lets remember Everton let him go when they weren't absolutely blessed with an abundance of quality strikers, but like you say if AI sees something let it play out, cost would be a major factor tho

We're not just trying to recruit strikers to chip in with the odd goal though are we......ultimately Murray....Afobe and Defoe were all flops.
People on here are turning their noses up to Simms because they don't think he's ready.....difficult to know how they've come to that conclusion if they haven't seen alot of him mind but my point is we are not going to be able to sign a ready made replacement for Dom ......if they are out there every club knows about them.
We are going to have to take a punt on young talent with potential.......for my money Simms falls into that bracket.
I could be very wrong but I don't think Simms will ever be ready for the prem, he just seems to be a bit of a big lumbering lunk, not fast enough and positioning a bit off (tho that could improve with experience)

I don't really see how signing an admittedly very charming Paralympian swimmer is going to improve our goal return but if the powers that be can see it, then of course I'm all for it.

Or I may have got something wrong......... :unsure:
I'd been holding back on that :)

Forget Simms and Morris, what about a player we’ve been linked with before?

Adebayo for Luton looking a class above any of their other players, 6”3, quick, good technique, young.

;