England Euro 2020

Agree def not the best venue for a number of reasons. I think we will cope weather wise and I really hope Gareth goes a little more attacking. I think Rice can anchor on his own and with the likes of foden,grealish, mount and Bellingham all able to play in midfield with Rice. Not sure how you pick from those choices and it’s the same for the forwards. Grealish would terrify even the best defenders he’s so skillful and creative.
Agree def not the best venue for a number of reasons. I think we will cope weather wise and I really hope Gareth goes a little more attacking. I think Rice can anchor on his own and with the likes of foden,grealish, mount and Bellingham all able to play in midfield with Rice. Not sure how you pick from those choices and it’s the same for the forwards. Grealish would terrify even the best defenders he’s so skillful and creative.

And these players can give more movement and give us more angles /options , which we lack , it becomes more obvious against teams like Italy .
Watching Italy , they would pass it around at the back but not once did they look to pass back to the keeper - they would always be looking forward , players would drop into pockets of space or run off their marker to receive the ball …
Quick pass or two then on the front foot …
We struggle to do this , we pass it around at the back but because of the lack of that fluidity ahead of the defenders they often slow to a stop before playing it back along the line or to Pickford … lose any chance of quick transition…
Counter attacking were pretty good with our pace , we just need to have more about us …
As you say , we have those players to do it if we can be confident to do so …

And that uncontrollable element of our supporters are going to cost us dear!
Already 4 major charges are lined up and they are going to further investigate other incidents both inside and o/s the stadium plus revisiting the semi final and the laser incident etc.
And what exactly were the policing and security measures in place outside Wembley ?

We are about 50 years behind the Spagbollenese .. their football is ..is...well its just f√cking out of sight of Margate on a sunny morn...

We..England ..haven't got a f√cking clue ..any more than Soft Mick on a promise!

We 'simperly' have to...have to change the way we play..! The bloody pace...the incision.....the leadership....the movement ...the passing...the tackling..
....ffs We are England.

I do seem to recall we battered them for the first 20 minutes and ended up over 120 minutes drawing 1-1 with them

They dominated the game 750 passes to our 340...at Wembley!
and yet.....scored from a set piece we should have defended better and only won on penalties. If they are 50 years ahead of us, then you must be talking about years on the planet mercury.

Passes...if it was about passes then Spain should have won the tournament, but guess what?

and yet.....scored from a set piece we should have defended better and only won on penalties. If they are 50 years ahead of us, then you must be talking about years on the planet mercury.

Passes...if it was about passes then Spain should have won the tournament, but guess what?
We hardly got a shot in 2nd half...we needed to have more of the ball...to get the crowd going etc. It was our big day..we blew it!
If we can't accept that..and the general criticism..we go nowhere!

Why are we cursed with this rogue element of supporters in football,no other major
sport has consistent repeatable trouble on this scale not rugby,cricket ,golf etc

We hardly got a shot in 2nd half...we needed to have more of the ball...to get the crowd going etc. It was our big day..we blew it!
If we can't accept that..and the general criticism..we go nowhere!
From min 55 to about 70 Italy had their purple patch. Southgate failed to adjust. That’s it. Italy had few shots on goal before or after that time period. That’s called fine margins.

the way you talk there’s a gulf between Italy and England. There’s not.

Why are we cursed with this rogue element of supporters in football,no other major
sport has consistent repeatable trouble on this scale not rugby,cricket ,golf etc

Not just England though plenty of countries supporters cause trouble but FIFA always like to make the most when the English involved. FIFA has always been pretty anti English, platini openly hates us

They dominated the game 750 passes to our 340...at Wembley!

You're very insistent that there's only one stat that counts ...except when it doesn't help your argument. :unsure:

Interesting BBC report on the chaos and total security failure at Wembley on Sunday - we were lucky that there wasn't a second Hillsborough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-57829412

Hand picking Tweets to narrate events is no way to present news...

There were security breaches, there were "fans" acting like dicks but it seems overall that comparisons to one of English football's greatest disasters is disrespectful.

You're very insistent that there's only one stat that counts ...except when it doesn't help your argument. :unsure:

Hand picking Tweets to narrate events is no way to present news...

There were security breaches, there were "fans" acting like dicks but it seems overall that comparisons to one of English football's greatest disasters is disrespectful.

a bit over the top as well. not condoning the behaviour, but several reasons why it wouldn't be like hillsborough - no fences/cages in the ground for a start.

good point re Brian. Thought all that mattered was how many times you put the ball in the net, possession and other stats count for nothing don;t they...

Difficult one.

It feels like it's easy to blame football, but the problems are deep-rooted societal issues. It's lad culture to the extreme - hundreds of thousands of (mostly) men choosing to use football as an outlet/release, the same way a week in Ibiza going mental is a release.

These are people let down by the lack of opportunities in the UK for working class, made bitter by Brexit politics, looking for an excuse to get wrecked, show off to their mates and get 2 minutes of fame by doing something ridiculous like firing a flare out of their ****************. I was in London on Sunday and the amount of coke being done openly on the streets from early in the morning was insane. It's the same at football matches now, coked-up lads looking to go mad but not necessarily for a fight like the earlier hooligans from the 70s and 80s.

Sunday was a a perfect storm of providing the excuse for hundreds of thousands to congregate on one area (Leicester Square and Wembley), a late kick off time, the build up from a month of hype and woefully inadequate policing and security.

Fixing the security would no doubt have mitigated some of the problems but doesn't get rid of the wider issues. People will continue to act like that. We see it every weekend on the streets of most UK cities, just not at such extreme scale. Not sure how you fix it - countries like Spain and Italy have far worse unemployment than UK for the young, yet you don't see the lad culture there.

...cutting aside from the social issues of England's population...

It is disappointing that the national team, playing at home in the main couldn't win The Euros when the standard of European international football isn't like it was. The giants like Germany, Spain, Netherlands, and France were ordinary and average IMO...okay Italy flew the flag for traditional winners...but I don't think that we will ever have a better chance to bury that three lions tune and be winners in my lifetime...Gareth did an okay job but I can't see him changing from his defensive plodding style anytime soon and no matter who we have in the team as attacking options he will drop them deep like he did Kane in most games...not playing Jack Grealish and Phil Foden was wasteful...taking an unfit Rashford and his favourite in Jordan Henderson was also foolish...when we could have had Ward-Prowse and Ings, Bamford or Watkins?

;