‘Entitled’

Neil Dawson

UTC Legend
The word ‘entitled’ is getting thrown around like confetti on social media and here for people who weren’t happy yesterday. People saying it’s the young fans that only know the premier league etc etc.

What a load of crap. I feel entitled to spend my leisure cash on being entertained. I don’t feel entitled to results, I do feel entitled to seeing more than 5 on target shots in 270 mins of football, zero goals, and the ball passed endlessly around the centre backs (normally before being lumped out for a throw in). To double qualify this I’ve also seen every dreadful season points wise since 1982 so didn’t just rock up to see Liverpool here. Alarmingly, some of those dreadful points seasons featured more goalmouth action and thrills just with far inferior players out of their depth.

Seven times out of ten this season I have experienced boredom at a Bournemouth game. A rare emotion for me at football this. For forty years I’ve experienced joy, anger, excitement, nervousness, disappointment but very rarely (Paul Groves aside) have i experienced lack of association and tedium. All of this with a side second in the league which really makes you think.

I understand my view is personal. If you’ve enjoyed the ride then I’m pleased for you. Some people like Fast and Furious 6 and some people like Slovakian art house movies. At the moment we are the film equivalent of an old lady in a frayed headscarf talking about the afterlife to the backdrop of a dripping tap and boiling kettle… but that has its fans and it’s a better world for it. Just accept that people not like you arent entitled, they just have different reasons for going.

I will always go, it’s what I do. I will always feel entitled to shots and crosses and energy. I will never feel entitled to any of them going in the back of the net or any result. Forty years have taught me though, whatever the tactics or formation the more energy, risks and goalmouth action you create the better the result is likely to be.

I collected money in buckets, I enjoyed\endured Chukki and Christer Warren, I went to Blyth. I will happily and have happily been called many things on here some of which are probably true. I’m not entitled.

Last edited:
Completely agree. It is an incredibly lazy argument and devoid of any kind of logic.

It’s not entitled to expect a team that cost 80m to have a meaningful shot every once in a while. If we were playing this way while at the bottom of league 2 I’d be equally as pissed off.

Entitled ? I think some people just expect other teams to come to DC and rollover. Well news for them, it don't happen that way. Other teams have managers, tactics and motivation as well. That was a massive game for Boro and personally I enjoyed the game.

Why do you resort to this kind of comment instead of responding to the points that he’s actually made?

There's nothing wrong with pointing out his complete hypocrisy. Tbh I'm sick of the entitled nature of our supposed supporters. Football comes in many forms and is never going to be full throttle. You yourself have described how difficult our run in is and then when it turns out to be the case you're back on here boring everyone with your endless negativity.

Neil's been slagging the side off for years and has the gall to come on here whinging when people point out he's an entitled supporter. Yesterday was an attritional game that we just about deserved to win, but we didn't. That's football. I've enjoyed this season but I've never felt as alienated from half our supporters, entitled people who think they are purchasing entertainment. That's never been what football support has been for me and never will.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out his complete hypocrisy. Tbh I'm sick of the entitled nature of our supposed supporters. Football comes in many forms and is never going to be full throttle. You yourself have described how difficult our run in is and then when it turns out to be the case you're back on here boring everyone with your endless negativity.

Neil's been slagging the side off for years and has the gall to come on here whinging when people point out he's an entitled supporter. Yesterday was an attritional game that we just about deserved to win, but we didn't. That's football. I've enjoyed this season but I've never felt as alienated from half our supporters, entitled people who think they are purchasing entertainment. That's never been what football support has been for me and never will.
Wow, so you genuinely believe that a large section of our supporter base is entitled merely for expecting us to perform better than we have the last three games? You really believe it’s entitled to expect us to occasionally trouble the opposition keeper?

I’d like to know how an awful team like QPR, who play turgid football apparently can draw at Huddersfield, who in turn have been tipped to finish above us.

Completely swings and roundabouts for me. Wouldn’t say I enjoyed the actual game yesterday but still enjoy going, the build up, at atmosphere. It’s never going to be exciting every game so I pay for that, not the result.

However, and not you Neil, a couple on here, who I’m sure you can work out were having a pop at Parker before he’d even set foot in the stadium and felt entitled to dissect performances during our 15 match run and moan players were playing out of position. Basically my point is we could win 9-0 and it wouldn’t be good enough; that’s the frustrating thing.

Wow, so you genuinely believe that a large section of our supporter base is entitled merely for expecting us to perform better than we have the last three games? You really believe it’s entitled to expect us to occasionally trouble the opposition keeper?

As per my post. Depends what you goto the games for. It’s a decent day out with mates, atmosphere, build up etc. We are 2nd in the championship ffs.

Is it a tough run run of fixtures or not? He's going to need to find a way to win soon but I think the last two games have been ok performances given the opposition. I tgough we were lucky not to lose against Sheffield United and unlucky not to win yesterday albeit with only two decent chances created.

The Groves matches, offered some of the best programme reading opportunities for years. A chance to pick up some useful trivia for the Jimmy Glass quiz.

Yesterday the first 20 minutes went pretty quickly and I'm surprised anybody thinks Middlesbrough - managed by a very competent Chris Wilder - wouldn't be defensively effective.

Only one empty seat, in my smoked-salmon sandwich part of the stand.

Completely swings and roundabouts for me. Wouldn’t say I enjoyed the actual game yesterday but still enjoy going, the build up, at atmosphere. It’s never going to be exciting every game so I pay for that, not the result.

However, and not you Neil, a couple on here, who I’m sure you can work out were having a pop at Parker before he’d even set foot in the stadium and felt entitled to dissect performances during our 15 match run and moan players were playing out of position. Basically my point is we could win 9-0 and it wouldn’t be good enough; that’s the frustrating thing.
If you are referring to me I was not having a pop at Parker before he set foot in the stadium. You won’t be able to find evidence of that because it didn’t happen.

During the 15 game unbeaten run I was regularly making the point that although the results were good, the performances would eventually catch up with us. Was I wrong?

The only question now is whether they will catch up with us before we are able to edge over the finishing line.

Posters like yourself need to stop being such wet wipes. It’s a forum for people to give their opinions, a lot of people haven’t been satisfied with the football under Parker and that’s okay. Many like yourself have been satisfied, and that’s okay too.

The Groves matches, offered some of the best programme reading opportunities for years. A chance to pick up some useful trivia for the Jimmy Glass quiz.

Yesterday the first 20 minutes went pretty quickly and I'm surprised anybody thinks Middlesbrough - managed by a very competent Chris Wilder - wouldn't be defensively effective.

Only one empty seat, in my smoked-salmon sandwich part of the stand.

It was a funny game. I didn't think the first half was great, but as you say it flew by. I thought the second half was good although we struggled to create enough. Anthony made a difference and Dembele should have had more time on. The pitch. Didn't create enough clear cut chances though.

As per my post. Depends what you goto the games for. It’s a decent day out with mates, atmosphere, build up etc. We are 2nd in the champion
As per my post. Depends what you goto the games for. It’s a decent day out with mates, atmosphere, build up etc. We are 2nd in the championship ffs.
Yep. A decent day out.
A couple of beers prematch with my son.
Sit with mates who have been going for years.
Didn’t lose. A point gained over Forest.
Out for a curry with my better half in the evening.
Back home, movie on and a few glasses of plonk.

I would say to you Neil,I you don't like the product any more,don't buy it.

Don't go any more,take a break from it until Parker is gone.

If I go to a shop ,restaurant or takeaway for example,and I don't enjoy that product any more,I vote with my feet and stop going.

To me,with the constant negativity,booing,and moaning,you are taking up the seat of a youngster who can't get a ticket and would love to come and watch the team their friends see or have only seen on Sky.

Give them that first taste,that feeling when their dad buys them the shirt from the club shop,when they first see the pitch,the players turning up before the game.

OK,the entertainment value has been lacking at times,but as said above,the other team sometimes are good,play well,have a good manager,get their tactics spot on.

I never enjoy a 0-0 but it wasn't as bad as some are saying ,a width 9f crossbar and we would have been lauding a hard fought 3 points and a nine point lead over Forest.

Instead it's seven and we go again Monday.

I have written endless praise for Eddie. You just remember the bits where I caveated it with things where I thought he could be even better and avoid relegation which you disagreed with. The guy was incredible.

I remember the three years where you said he needed another, unspecified, coach forcing on him because he wasn't up to the job. And also the bit where you said that he went against expert advice on injuries because he didn't care about them or whatever you were accusing him of.

I remember the three years where you said he needed another, unspecified, coach forcing on him because he wasn't up to the job. And also the bit where you said that he went against expert advice on injuries because he didn't care about them or whatever you were accusing him of.
Eddie wasn’t perfect, he had his flaws. It is possible to feel that way and at the same time still believe that he did an incredible job.

Is it just me or are there quite a few posters on this board who struggle to think beyond black and white. Eg if you point out one flaw Eddie had you must think he was s**t.

;