European Super League

Think the fans could/would put a stop to this in this country.

Unless it has been selective interviews, so far not heard any fans in favour, including those from club/s likely to be involved.

It will be very expensive for those travelling abroad to see their side play.

Think whoever came up with this idea has not got the interest of football or the fans at heart.

If it’s not broken don’t try and fix it.

Great idea. To see the best teams in Europe playing each other regularly will attract a new worldwide audience. The atmosphere at big games is great and to have it regularly would be very good for everyone.
England would have more teams than any other European country. Sounds like a dream

Great idea. To see the best teams in Europe playing each other regularly will attract a new worldwide audience. The atmosphere at big games is great and to have it regularly would be very good for everyone.
England would have more teams than any other European country. Sounds like a dream

Wind up .

Yes but getting tickets is going to be a nightmare.

Invite Celtic to Europe too...love to see them Bazookered by Bayern or Barca couple times a season. Introduce them to a fair contest! I'm sure Partiick Thistle fans would rejoice at that!

...well it will happen one day as the media moguls call the tune and the corrupt FIFA and UEFA officials just won't be able to resist getting their snouts in the money trough...along with the club owners,football agents,greedy players,and for the countries like USA and China who can't put together anything of quality when it comes to club football.

Fans are becoming a diminishing force in the game...not really needed (only to promote their respective teams globally)

It is just the way that it is?

Cricket kissed and made up eventually after their breakaway. But is the grass always greener?

...well it will happen one day as the media moguls call the tune and the corrupt FIFA and UEFA officials just won't be able to resist getting their snouts in the money trough...along with the club owners,football agents,greedy players,and for the countries like USA and China who can't put together anything of quality when it comes to club football.

Fans are becoming a diminishing force in the game...not really needed (only to promote their respective teams globally)

It is just the way that it is?

No, I disagree. Maybe I'm crazy optimistic, or naive. The Premier League is the biggest product in world football. That's not because of the talent on show, it's because of the atmosphere. The away fans, the more competitive nature of the league. The blood and thunder and "pashun" and loads of other rubbish

I'd be intrigued to hear what our transatlantic Cherries think about sports over there. The lack of away fans. The huge distances to travel. How that would translate if a super league competition happened. Travelling abroad is expensive, yes we'd make an effort in a Burnley/Fulham situation but year on year it becomes unsustainable, especially if it becomes the norm. Not long ago we could hardly afford a team bus to Berwick or Carlisle

I don't think a league without promotion or relegation has any validity or jeopardy. It quickly becomes a sideshow like the Harlem Globetrotters. However the damage being wreaked on the game by the PL and UEFA does make alternative options seem less bad

Agree with all cb's points.
A league without relegation is a dead league which results in dead football with the players merely going through the motions. Half way through the season and most matches would be meaningless like pre-season friendlies and exhibition matches.
I saw a couple of end of season NASL matches a couple of years ago, and they were completely lacking the intensity and excitement of English football simply because both teams knew they would still be in the same league the following season, and for the spectators it was more like going to the cinema. There is no proper entertainment in football without competition, the chance of winning the league or the danger of losing your status.
Travelling across Europe every so often for a Champions League game when the result really matters is a completely different proposition to doing the same thing fairly regularly to watch games where the result is irrelevant, and very few supporters would be able to afford to do this anyway. Not much atmosphere would be generated, and there would be lots of empty seats if there is nothing to play for and very few away fans in attendance.
This seems to be an idea generated by people with no real understanding of what club football is about and what it means to the dedicated supporters who actually go to matches week in week out, and without whom there is not much of a spectacle to witness.
I reckon that most of the English teams would be pleading to rejoin the Premier League after a few seasons of this type of football.

Who needs on the pitch football when people can compete on line from the comfort of their own sofa, create your own leagues, play with or against friends with no travel costs and no ticket needed.
Virtual sport would soon replace a repeating round of exhibition matches in the Watneys Red Barrel corporate event.

Who needs on the pitch football when people can compete on line from the comfort of their own sofa, create your own leagues, play with or against friends with no travel costs and no ticket needed.
Virtual sport would soon replace a repeating round of exhibition matches in the Watneys Red Barrel corporate event.

Wait for Artificial reality to take hold - this will radically change how people watch sport. My son comes to games but he has more to do with Afcb via fifa games and YouTube than the 90 minutes game. That’s the way it’s going to be in the future imho.

I think clubs will need to do more for fans in the ground. Already annoying when something has happened like an offside or penalty and people watching on tv know more than people at the ground.

I see the argument about social media and PlayStation, but that's just a news medium. Buying the Echo and watching our 25 seconds on South Today or TVS never stopped us going. If we stop people going to games then we dilute the product. People won't pay to watch empty stadiums on telly, so then it won't be on the telly

Why on earth would any of the big six English clubs be interested in a European League? As things stand they have a huge financial advantage in TV income and coverage over the likes of PSG, Juve and Bayern Munich and a significant advantage over Real Madrid and Barcelona. There is no incentive for any of the big six to see that advantage diluted by weakening the EPL brand.

Isn't this to replace the champions league, and not to break away...?

Also, I know we never would, but if we were to establish ourselves in the top 6 over the coming years... What would be our thoughts if 'little old Bournemouth' were asked to be part of this..???

Would we still be so against it... Just playing Devil's advocate here..

;