Everton v AFC Bournemouth

billythekid

UTC Legend
Can AFCB Rub More Salt Into The Wound?

Saturday was a very disappointing afternoon watching our side get beaten at home by another North London club. It was going to be hard against this Arsenal side and a defence who haven’t conceded a goal away from home. But our side made the job much harder for themselves by conceding two needless penalties. We were toothless in attack and never really looked like penetrating a good Arsenal defence.

Our next game is away on Saturday against Everton, the Toffees are themselves struggling for points, the game at Goodison Park kicks off at 3 pm. This is the last game before another international break and one where our club should be looking to get some points. Our record at Goodison Park is not good, having won there once, the last game of the 2019-20 season which saw us relegated and Eddie Howe’s last game as our manager.

Sean Dyche the Everton manager saved his side from relegation last season. This season his side have lost their first four home Premier League games, the worst in the club’s history in this league. The last time Everton lost their four opening games was in the old Division 1 in the 1958-59 season. Can AFCB rub salt into the wound by making it five?

This seasons home defeats have been against Fulham, Wolves and Arsenal, all by a 0-1 scoreline, their fourth and last home game was against Luton Town promoted to the Premier League this season and it was also the Hatters first league win, with the game ending 1-2. Away from home, Everton have beaten Brentford 3-1, drawn with Sheffield United 2-2 and lost 4-0 against Aston Villa.

The last time AFCB met Everton was in May, again it was the last game of the season and Everton won by the only goal of the game scored by Abdoulaye Doucore.

In all our away league games against Everton, AFCB have W 1, D 0, L 5.
All competitions, AFCB have W 6, D 2, L 9.

Everton Team News
They signed three players, strikers, Beto from Udinese for £25.8 million and Youseff Chermiti from Sporting Lisbon for £15 million. Defender Ashley Young on a free contract after he left Aston Villa. On loan, forward Arnaut Danjuma from Villareall and winger Jack Harrison from Leeds United on loan. Players out injured are Dele Alli, Seamus Coleman and Andre Gomes

Everton Player To Watch
Dominic Calvert-Lewin who has had a number of injury issues, is back scoring goals for Everton. Last Saturday he played his first full game and scored. He also scored in his previous league game away at Brentford, coming on as a substitute in the 63rd minute and scoring Everton’s third goal eight minutes later for his team’s first league win of the season. He also scored in their recent League Cup win away against Aston Villa.

AFCB Team News
Tyler Adams has had a setback with his injury and it seems could be out for a while. Otherwise from those we know about, hopefully a fit squad for the trip to Merseyside.

AFCB Player To Watch
Everton’s weakness are their full-backs and also defending set-pieces. We know our manager likes to attack down the flanks, so our wingers and overlapping full-backs will be the ones to watch, especially on the left side against the experienced 38-year-old Everton right back Ashley Young. We need to get more crosses into the opposition box and hopefully that will happen at Goodison Park.

The Referee
David Coote is again in charge of our game, he was the referee for the home game at Dean Court against Chelsea last month.

Pivotal game for both sides this you would say. Even this early in the season. Everton would really suffer if back to back defeats from us and Luton at home and doubts will creep in on our boss and squad if we lose the first ‘winnable’ (in some fans eyes) game of the season.

Pivotal game for both sides this you would say. Even this early in the season. Everton would really suffer if back to back defeats from us and Luton at home and doubts will creep in on our boss and squad if we lose the first ‘winnable’ (in some fans eyes) game of the season.

Be a good result if we get our first draw at Goodison, a win even better.

I think Everton have lost the last 7 out 8 at home ( yes we know who they beat ) defeat to us would be pretty bad for Dyche and could seal his fate. We need a good performance in our first 6 pointer.

... Silence the Goodison faithful i the first 20 mins, and then build into the game... But for god's sake, don't concede early doors... Play like we did V BHA (1st) and Brentford and this game is 100% there for the taking... IMO, confidence is on a knife edge atm... One win is all it will take to spring us back...

I’ve looked at the last 4 league games for Everton. They were home to Arsenal and Luton, and away at Shef U and Brentford. They picked up 4 points from these games but had considerable better xG in 3 of the 4 games. Either their forwards have been underperforming, the defence is underperforming or they have just been unlucky. Everton have scored 6 goals and conceded 6, whereas xG predicted 7.73 and 4.13.

Everton have had 4 scorers (Calvert-Lewin and Doucoure with 2 each and Tarkowski and Danjuma with 1 each). 5 different players have contributed 1 assist each.

GoalsxG.JPG

The average positions of the starting line-ups are below. In the earlier games Branthwaite was player as a deeper central defender, in more recent games this has been less noticeable although there appears to be more focus on the left-hand side of the pitch, being lop-sided.

Av Positions.JPG

The following graph compares summary stats of Everton and AFCB over the last 4 games. Everton are ahead in all the key statistics although their fixture list has been kinder than AFCB’s including games against Sheffield Utd and Luton.

Comparison.JPG

Both Everton and Arsenal have had less than 50% of possession. For a Dyche team it is surprising that nearly half of the chances conceded have been from set-pieces, which is higher than AFCB, although more chances are created for set plays.

Percentages.JPG

I think this is the hardest game of the season so far. I also think that we became too accepting of the results so far because of the difficult run of games we've faced building up an expectation that the next 3 games will be our turning point. The pressure on the players to get a result will be immense and this at a ground that just isn't a happy hunting ground for us. A win would be huge and the relief massive certainly setting us up for the two following matches. Match Everton for the first 20 minutes, force some errors, create some chances, even score and the home crowd will turn. Everton will be up for this and the leader type characters , such as Tarkowski, will be whipping up his charges before KO. I'm not sure we ha e that type of character in our ranks so prepare for a possible early onslaught. Our back two will have their hands full with Calvert Lewin, who along with Tarkowski, at set pieces will command the air. We need to be brave, keep possession and stop the unenforced errors. My worry is always when we go behind because I'm never confident that we have the firepower to fight back. Tough game but winnable if we are fully focused.

Just looked at four pages of an Everton forum.

It seems the number 1 is mentioned re the score. Either a win by 1-0 or 1-1 draw.

One comment seems to sum up some of their feelings.

I think he may have lost the dressing room already due to his tactics or lack of them.

We will huff and puff for the first 30 minutes with scrappy half chances without anything being created properly from the training ground.
First clean sheet of the season but still winless at home

0-0

I pray that's his last game as manager of this club.

Feels like a must win. Ideally, we get at least 6 points out of these next three fixtures really. Split these games up in amongst less favourable matches and we’d be looking for wins in all three.

Coote was the ref away at West Ham last year so I hope the team are honing their volleyball skills this week.

Simon Hooper on VAR after reffing Spurs Liverpool on Saturday.

I think this is the hardest game of the season so far. I also think that we became too accepting of the results so far because of the difficult run of games we've faced building up an expectation that the next 3 games will be our turning point. The pressure on the players to get a result will be immense and this at a ground that just isn't a happy hunting ground for us. A win would be huge and the relief massive certainly setting us up for the two following matches. Match Everton for the first 20 minutes, force some errors, create some chances, even score and the home crowd will turn. Everton will be up for this and the leader type characters , such as Tarkowski, will be whipping up his charges before KO. I'm not sure we ha e that type of character in our ranks so prepare for a possible early onslaught. Our back two will have their hands full with Calvert Lewin, who along with Tarkowski, at set pieces will command the air. We need to be brave, keep possession and stop the unenforced errors. My worry is always when we go behind because I'm never confident that we have the firepower to fight back. Tough game but winnable if we are fully focused.

Yes yes. It's harder than Liverpool, Arsenal, Brentford, West Ham and Spurs...

Really worried about Luton and Sheffield, they will be well up for the matches and that's far more important than skill.

Looking forward to this one. Another tough away day that will hopefully bring a positive response to last weekend’s terribly lacklustre display.
Three in midfield as I don’t think we’re good enough for two, Brooks Solanke and Tavernier up front, take the game to them, don’t be scared to lose.

An early goal is always a bonus but I’d settle for 0–0 after an hour, we’re good enough too take on anyone in this division but conceding needless goals destroys confidence, show you’re bottle was something I was always told and I really think it applies this Saturday

;