Expectations vs Results

OntarioPhil

Trialist
We fans are facing several emotions all conflicting with one another at the moment.

Yes, the team perfomances have been Ok from a results perspective – we have earned points – but it has been such hard work! In recent years most of us have seen AFCB teams attack the opposition with abandon, score goals and work hard for each other.
Today we tend to see less speed, more ponderous build-up and fewer goals, and the same defensive errors we’ve seen for a decade now…I agree it is frustrating because the solution is so simple… defenders defend and attackers attack and midfielders do both! Yes I played a long time ago – I know.

It is this age-old conflict about entertainment versus results I suggest.
Do we want the early Eddie years where free-flowing football generated many good results but the occasional unexpected defeat or the current approach which is more designed to avoid defeat but is less attractive to watch? I recall reading of the coach from the Brazilian national men’s team saying that he would rather win 10 – 9 than 1-0; well frankly that is the type of match I would prefer to see also. Our current manager/coach doesn’t subscribe to that it seems..

Many of us believe that we will achieve an automatic promotion position this season, but now project our current performances forward and see another Norwich-type EPL 2021-22 season – straight back down again next season because we don’t compete consistently. Yes it is frustrating but think back to the 60’s, 70’s 80’s and so on when to get to Division Two was a huge goal in itself.

I have lived through all the eras since 1961 and frankly have enjoyed immensely the way we’ve overcome the various challenges. My thanks to our various owners along the way for their support.
I look forward to being in the EPL not because we will soon be a top-six team, but because it can help us fund our training facilities and in time a new stadium, if Brighton can do it then so can we guys!

The journey to that is to perhaps sacrifice an attractive playing flair and focus on staying there even if it is not attractive to watch but it gets us to our end goal – an improved club infrastructure!

We fans are facing several emotions all conflicting with one another at the moment.

Yes, the team perfomances have been Ok from a results perspective – we have earned points – but it has been such hard work! In recent years most of us have seen AFCB teams attack the opposition with abandon, score goals and work hard for each other.
Today we tend to see less speed, more ponderous build-up and fewer goals, and the same defensive errors we’ve seen for a decade now…I agree it is frustrating because the solution is so simple… defenders defend and attackers attack and midfielders do both! Yes I played a long time ago – I know.

Do we want the early Eddie years where free-flowing football generated many good results but the occasional unexpected defeat or the current approach which is more designed to avoid defeat but is less attractive to watch? I recall reading of the coach from the Brazilian national men’s team saying that he would rather win 10 – 9 than 1-0; well frankly that is the type of match I would prefer to see also. Our current manager/coach doesn’t subscribe to that it seems..

Many of us believe that we will achieve an automatic promotion position this season, but now project our current performances forward and see another Norwich-type EPL 2021-22 season – straight back down again next season because we don’t compete consistently. Yes it is frustrating but think back to the 60’s, 70’s 80’s and so on when to get to Division Two was a huge goal in itself.

I have lived through all the eras since 1961 and frankly have enjoyed immensely the way we’ve overcome the various challenges. My thanks to our various owners along the way for their support.
I look forward to being in the EPL not because we will soon be a top-six team, but because it can help us fund our training facilities and in time a new stadium, if Brighton can do it then so can we guys!

The journey to that is to perhaps sacrifice an attractive playing flair and focus on staying there even if it is not attractive to watch but it gets us to our end goal – an improved club infrastructure!

Maybe but they need to hold onto the ball (that's the philosophy) and they are giving it away, so the philosophy isn't working. I think it's all too regimented. Things should be varied: sequences of passes, quick moves on the break and hopeful long shots. It will add to unpredictability, which will make us harder to play.

Do we want the early Eddie years where free-flowing football generated many good results but the occasional unexpected defeat or the current approach which is more designed to avoid defeat but is less attractive to watch?

We've lost to Preston, Derby, Hull and even Boreham wood. Not sure how the current approach doesn't have "occasional unexpected defeats".

This has been said a lot, but it comes down to perspective, doesn't it?

Scott Parker's job is to get us out of this division. I'm fairly confident he'll do that at the first time of asking, unlike the Tindall/Woodgate combo. The board will be delighted - his primary goal is achieved, the income skyrockets.

As fans, we've had a taste of the Premier League and the novelty isn't there/ Also, we're living in the present. Sure, we're in a higher league position than the vast majority of the 30 years I've been watching us. We're also winning a higher percentage of games in any season since 14/15.

Am I enjoying it? Not in the slightest.

Are my Saturdays as fun as watching Wade Elliott send a leftback to cleaners time after time as we missed out on the League One playoffs? No.

Don't get me wrong, there were some drab awful games then, but they got me off my seat on far more occasions than they do now.

Outside of football, we've had a miserable few years that seem to only be getting worse. I want escapism out of my Saturday afternoons, but I'm also acutely aware that's not Parker's brief.

We have played less games than every other team in the Championship.

Second with the highest number of goals 52 behind Fulham’s 84.

Equal top for goals conceded with Fulham, 29.

So less games played, but our fans are seeing more goals than all the other teams, bar Fulham.

So less games played, but our fans are seeing more goals than all the other teams, bar Fulham.
Agreed, we need to be careful what we wish for. Parkerball seems to be a real issue on here, however people who know football (ie footballers) seem to be ok with it. I think we'd all agree that SP has been able to attract some decent players to AFCB, that must be because they rate him. I think Christie and Cantwell have both said as much in their interviews when they joined, I'm sure others have as well. So they seem to be happy with what they're trying to achieve, they're just not doing it on a consistent basis yet. We have seen glimpses of it and that makes me think it can work.

Excellent post.

I just think we need to give our manager more time to see whether this build up style of play will become more exciting.

Also, will he be wanted by other clubs should we go up?
Could see Parker replacing Conte at Spurs, if we finish well and Spurs carry on being Spursey.

Goodness me Billy some people will find this hard to swallow

Really good original post.

My take on this curious situation we find ourselves in is as follows:

Our Journey under Howe:
Results far exceed expectation based on the players we had
100% effort and a close knit team spirit that is unheard of

So far under Parker:
Results are good but expectation based on both the past and the quality of players have means its feels like we are underachieving if we don't destroy teams 4-0 every week.
95% effort

I also think, as fans, this is the first time in a very long time we have a manager with no previous affiliation with the club and players that are far removed from the down to earth fanbase.

It has been a good season to date but since Bristol City away, we have not delivered on both the result and the performance in the same game. We just need some performances that deliver on the potential of this squad (think Birmingham 8-0, Blackpool 6-1 etc).

I'm one of the most indecisive people I know. Or maybe I'm not. I'm genuinely confused by what I want from my football team at the moment. I realise there is a big 'mission statement' in the offices at DC that says "PREMIER LEAGUE AT ALL COSTS". This is of course primarily to get money for the club, money which will be spunked on staff, players, agents & general hangers-on wages, new range rovers & bentleys, massaging players egos, and boosting 'the profile' of the club. As a fan, I've never felt comfortable with football being a big money business, and never loved the premier league, champions league etc. That said, I did enjoy our journey there with Eddie Howe. Winning the Championship last time was probably my favourite ever season - style of football, entertainment, winning. As a fan, my main enjoyment of football has been the day as a whole - pre-match boozing, the buildup, beating teams with a historical dislike, friendly rivalries, mixing with like minded away fans. Since October my boozing days are over, which has made me reflect on my relationship with footy - I'm probly in a period of change where I'll now probably appreciate the footy entertainment more, as the fun of the boozing has been removed. If I was able, I certainly wouldnt feel inclined to travel to away games currently purely for the football, I'd probably go and watch Wimborne Town. I still look forward to home games at DC, but do hope the team can play in an entertaining way. Will I be happy if we go up? Relieved - yes. Being able to be smug to mates who support other champo teams - yes. Genuinely pleased - not sure. Feel good for the health/future of the club - probably not. All very confusing.

Sorry to hear about the booze situation Rob. Is that a choice or was the decision made for you? I worry that it's only a matter of time before the decision is made for me too. Still there's lots of flavoursome alcohol free beers out there, Not.

Excellent post.

I just think we need to give our manager more time to see whether this build up style of play will become more exciting.

Also, will he be wanted by other clubs should we go up?
Not wishing to have a pop Rob but there in is your answer.
Would other clubs want him?
Why ever not?

I agree Rob, I too wonder what I want. I want us to be successful, but I don't like the premier league. But it's good for the club to get promoted, so sort of want it.
I'm so used to poor football at DC over the years that it doesn't bother me too much, I have never not enjoyed going to football, whatever the result or performance. Every once in a while, we get a special performance, or just a late winner, and that makes up for a lot of the poor stuff.

I'm one of the most indecisive people I know. Or maybe I'm not. I'm genuinely confused by what I want from my football team at the moment. I realise there is a big 'mission statement' in the offices at DC that says "PREMIER LEAGUE AT ALL COSTS". This is of course primarily to get money for the club, money which will be spunked on staff, players, agents & general hangers-on wages, new range rovers & bentleys, massaging players egos, and boosting 'the profile' of the club. As a fan, I've never felt comfortable with football being a big money business, and never loved the premier league, champions league etc. That said, I did enjoy our journey there with Eddie Howe. Winning the Championship last time was probably my favourite ever season - style of football, entertainment, winning. As a fan, my main enjoyment of football has been the day as a whole - pre-match boozing, the buildup, beating teams with a historical dislike, friendly rivalries, mixing with like minded away fans. Since October my boozing days are over, which has made me reflect on my relationship with footy - I'm probably in a period of change where I'll now probably appreciate the footy entertainment more, as the fun of the boozing has been removed. If I was able, I certainly wouldn't feel inclined to travel to away games currently purely for the football, I'd probably go and watch Wimborne Town. I still look forward to home games at DC, but do hope the team can play in an entertaining way. Will I be happy if we go up? Relieved - yes. Being able to be smug to mates who support other champo teams - yes. Genuinely pleased - not sure. Feel good for the health/future of the club - probably not. All very confusing.

Some valid points in here... I think actually travelling away is more attractive than home games as atmosphere tends to be better and maybe the fans are more 'as one' than at home games, where we have a large portion of fans that just want an Eddie 2.0 and everything that comes with... We need to move on from Eddie (sorry)...

Also, I think you sum up my thoughts as well as the OP's thoughts in that promotion has nothing to do with us wanting to be back in the PL... It's to do with money unfortunately and the ability for even 1 season to allow us to get 4 more years worth of payouts... With the hope that we can continue to buy cheap and young and actually develop the club... Nothing will ever compare to the Bolton or Charlton games of 14/15... Ever!!!

What we're seeing now and what we're likely to be seeing in the PL next year (if we go up) might not be everyone's cup of tea but we all wanted to get to the lofty heights of the PL before (and it was great), but the sad reality is that being in the PL for 5 yrs has now pushed everything up several notches... The fan's expectations, the wages, the debts etc. and to service all of that we need to keep dipping our toe in the top division... by whatever means...

Sorry to hear about the booze situation Rob. Is that a choice or was the decision made for you? I worry that it's only a matter of time before the decision is made for me too. Still there's lots of flavoursome alcohol free beers out there, Not.

I've been ill for a few months now, amazingly not alcohol related... but continuing to booze would not be sensible if I want to get better! No regrets... I've had a LOT of very lovely beer over the years........ :cheers:

:utc:

;