Expectations vs Results

If we get promotion this season, it will be a bit like ‘After The Lord Mayor’s Show’ from the 2014-15 season.

But Parker would have achieved what the club wanted.

I'm not sure what other peoples expectations were before the start of the season, but given that our goalkeeper had made one previous appearance for Bournemouth, our left back and left wing had both made zero previous league starts, our defensive midfielder was just returning after a long term knee injury, and our only striker previously couldn't hit a cows @rse with a banjo, then I'm pleasantly happy.

I'm not sure what other peoples expectations were before the start of the season, but given that our goalkeeper had made one previous appearance for Bournemouth, our left back and left wing had both made zero previous league starts, our defensive midfielder was just returning after a long term knee injury, and our only striker previously couldn't hit a cows @rse with a banjo, then I'm pleasantly happy.
Travs had definitely made more than one previous appearance for us but yes at the start of the season expectations weren't that high but they obviously rose after our great start.

Good discussion evolving here.

Personally, I had a bit of a reset with the season being suspended and then the following season behind closed doors.

I went from being in the north stand, hearing the ground bemoan not beating Chelsea and only getting a 2-2, to 18 months later sitting in the main stand with my little one beating MK Dons 5-0. The worst language I’ve heard all season is someone being called “a sausage”...

Point being, the atmosphere around you depends on the area of the ground you’re in and whether it’s Parker or Howe, there was always moaning. No doubt it’s worse now with little or no rapport between fans and manager but it wasn’t a utopia before either…

My feelings about our season far is probably based on the fact I enjoyed 2013 through to 2020 and lockdown more than I have enjoyed this season. Now seeing as some of those seasons were us fighting to stay in the Prem, I'm really not sure why I'm not enjoying this season as much. We are off course winning far more matches and losing far less. So something is not there for me during the matches.

You're quite right

But that's actually a little bit depressing

Isnt it… But for me that’s the reality… ‘If’ we get promoted this year it, I don’t think you could help but be a little bit pleased but it just won’t come close to the feeling of 14/15… I think a bus parade would also see a fraction of the turnout rhat we saw on the beach etc.

Really good original post.

My take on this curious situation we find ourselves in is as follows:

Our Journey under Howe:
Results far exceed expectation based on the players we had
100% effort and a close knit team spirit that is unheard of

So far under Parker:
Results are good but expectation based on both the past and the quality of players have means its feels like we are underachieving if we don't destroy teams 4-0 every week.
95% effort

I also think, as fans, this is the first time in a very long time we have a manager with no previous affiliation with the club and players that are far removed from the down to earth fanbase.

It has been a good season to date but since Bristol City away, we have not delivered on both the result and the performance in the same game. We just need some performances that deliver on the potential of this squad (think Birmingham 8-0, Blackpool 6-1 etc).

your summary isn’t quite right - early years under Eddie right into the prem were as you describe but the last 18 months were often dreadful passionless displays with the the exception of a handful top drawer displays.

As I posted on another thread, think this season is a continuation of a trend seen over the last 3 1/2 seasons albeit on lower wages. One more top signing upfront would make a big difference. I do think it continues to show how good Eddie was - as Newcastle are finding.

Really?
You said "Also, will he be wanted by other clubs should we go up?"
Well you tell me, why would other clubs not want him?
That was my point, which I obviously didn't phrase very well!

We had Eddie for a long time, but now maybe we're just on the managerial circuit like every club.

For us oldies, you're probably right - we won't see anything to match 2014/15 in our lifetimes.

But who really knows what the future holds ? I'd like to think that there are plenty of glorious times ahead for future generations.

not sure about glorious but as a kid I even loved 78/79 season!

Well, I remember, as a kid, listening to some of the older supporters as they fondly recalled the glory days of our epic cup run in 1957, and wondering if I would ever live to see anything so fantastic.

If someone had told me the epic adventure that began in 2010, I simply would never have believed them.

So, all you young 'uns, dream an incredible dream, and you never know one day it just might come true.

Because that's what kept us going through the long barren decades when high points were few are far between, and the low points were many.

Was a long old wait, mind.....!

It never ceases to amaze me how people are unable to take circumstance into account when evaluating performance/expectation.

The 13/14 season in which we missed out on the play offs was infinitely more enjoyable than this one to me, this is because we had a group of players who were performing to the very maximum of their abilities and we had very little to lose.

I judge Parker this season based purely on performances relative to resources available, nothing else. The reason it has felt unenjoyable for large parts is because most are aware that performances could quite easily be so much better if it he was just willing to deviate from his principles a little bit. We are still in a good position yes, but we have got here by frequently playing badly. Imagine how many more points we could have if we were actually maximising our potential.

For me, given what a huge opportunity this is (there will not be a better one to return to the top flight,) Parker simply has to get us promoted playing this way. There is no in between here. And if he doesn’t deliver this he could well go down as one of the worst managerial appointments in our history (given the context of the current situation, I’m not saying he’s a worse manager than Groves or Quinn before you jump in CherryBare et al.)

I'm one of the most indecisive people I know. Or maybe I'm not. I'm genuinely confused by what I want from my football team at the moment. I realise there is a big 'mission statement' in the offices at DC that says "PREMIER LEAGUE AT ALL COSTS". This is of course primarily to get money for the club, money which will be spunked on staff, players, agents & general hangers-on wages, new range rovers & bentleys, massaging players egos, and boosting 'the profile' of the club. As a fan, I've never felt comfortable with football being a big money business, and never loved the premier league, champions league etc. That said, I did enjoy our journey there with Eddie Howe. Winning the Championship last time was probably my favourite ever season - style of football, entertainment, winning. As a fan, my main enjoyment of football has been the day as a whole - pre-match boozing, the buildup, beating teams with a historical dislike, friendly rivalries, mixing with like minded away fans. Since October my boozing days are over, which has made me reflect on my relationship with footy - I'm probly in a period of change where I'll now probably appreciate the footy entertainment more, as the fun of the boozing has been removed. If I was able, I certainly wouldnt feel inclined to travel to away games currently purely for the football, I'd probably go and watch Wimborne Town. I still look forward to home games at DC, but do hope the team can play in an entertaining way. Will I be happy if we go up? Relieved - yes. Being able to be smug to mates who support other champo teams - yes. Genuinely pleased - not sure. Feel good for the health/future of the club - probably not. All very confusing.

Love that Post ! Honest and Genuine!

It never ceases to amaze me how people are unable to take circumstance into account when evaluating performance/expectation.

The 13/14 season in which we missed out on the play offs was infinitely more enjoyable than this one to me, this is because we had a group of players who were performing to the very maximum of their abilities and we had very little to lose.

I judge Parker this season based purely on performances relative to resources available, nothing else. The reason it has felt unenjoyable for large parts is because most are aware that performances could quite easily be so much better if it he was just willing to deviate from his principles a little bit. We are still in a good position yes, but we have got here by frequently playing badly. Imagine how many more points we could have if we were actually maximising our potential.

For me, given what a huge opportunity this is (there will not be a better one to return to the top flight,) Parker simply has to get us promoted playing this way. There is no in between here. And if he doesn’t deliver this he could well go down as one of the worst managerial appointments in our history (given the context of the current situation, I’m not saying he’s a worse manager than Groves or Quinn before you jump in CherryBare et al.)
Look I get what your saying, but our worse managerial appointment? Yes a very strong squad, but doesn't always work out, look at West brom, you said they were odds on for promotion, but not worked out, I know which position I'd prefer to be in.
Last season we should have got promoted too, for me woodgate blew it by settling for 6th, rather than pushing to avoid brentford in the play off semis. We would have had more chance in a one off game.
We are in a stronger position this season, but we need to win the games in hand. The performances for the last 3 seasons including this one, have been no where near our championship winning team, but it's unlikely we'll reach those heights again.

;