Favourite Ever Home Game

Shrewsbury 1997
Grimsby 2009

You could probably add some premier league ones to that if I could get a ticket! On the TV, the Everton 3-3 and Liverpool 4-3 have been highlights. Plus the 2-0 win against scummers!

Surely nothing can top Bolton but other classics deserve mention.

Pompey 2-0 in 61-62, ...20,00+ crowd Div 3!
Coventry 2-0 in 63-64.
Aston Villa 71-72 3 or 4-0.
Man U 2-0 in 83-84 Cup shock! I was listening to a Transistor Radio Report at half-time and G.Best said " If United carry on like this there is only one outcome and that's Bournemouth into the next round" Magic Moments considering 57' .

The cup games v Newcastle 62/63- 2-1
Burnley 65. 1-1( unlucky)( replay 0-7!)
Liverpool 0-0. (unlucky - East goal disallowed),
( replay 1-4).
Margate/Tedgate !!! ( even better if like me you we're at the Margate 61-62 0-3 debacle -
McGarry f###ed that one up! We were top of
Div 3_at the time!

The Man u, Liverpool and Arsenal wins in PL( only
attended the Man U game).

Middlesboro 3-1 in 86-87
Middlesboro 3-0 in 14-15

I was at that game Al, but can't remember anything about it - why does it stand out for you ?

3-4 I believe. Would have been 4-4 but the ref decided our equaliser was scored after the final whistle.
I was hooked on giving Ref's grief after that.

The name Dave Simmond's rings a bell for this game.

To be honest, one of my earliest memories.

3-4 I believe. Would have been 4-4 but the ref decided our equaliser was scored after the final whistle.
I was hooked on giving Ref's grief after that.

The name Dave Simmond's rings a bell for this game.

To be honest, one of my earliest memories.
Dave Simmonds - I think we had him on loan from Arsenal ? I recall on the Saturday morning a Cherry Bees team taking on a Tranmere fans' team - bearing in mind they had just travelled overnight from Merseyside in a bumpy old coach, I thought that was a good effort.

Surely nothing can top Bolton but other classics deserve mention.

Pompey 2-0 in 61-62, ...20,00+ crowd Div 3!
Coventry 2-0 in 63-64.
Aston Villa 71-72 3 or 4-0.
Man U 2-0 in 83-84 Cup shock! I was listening to a Transistor Radio Report at half-time and G.Best said " If United carry on like this there is only one outcome and that's Bournemouth into the next round" Magic Moments considering 57' .

The cup games v Newcastle 62/63- 2-1
Burnley 65. 1-1( unlucky)( replay 0-7!)
Liverpool 0-0. (unlucky - East goal disallowed),
( replay 1-4).
Margate/Tedgate !!! ( even better if like me you we're at the Margate 61-62 0-3 debacle -
McGarry f###ed that one up! We were top of
Div 3_at the time!

The Man u, Liverpool and Arsenal wins in PL( only
attended the Man U game).

Middlesboro 3-1 in 86-87
Middlesboro 3-0 in 14-15

Some good choices! Remember the Portsmouth game well. Archer scored the second. Right hand edge of the box at the South End. I was on the floodlight pylon diagonally opposite. Great goal. First was at the BB end. Sort of bundled in by Thompson. Too far away to see!

Some good choices! Remember the Portsmouth game well. Archer scored the second. Right hand edge of the box at the South End. I was on the floodlight pylon diagonally opposite. Great goal. First was at the BB end. Sort of bundled in by Thompson. Too far away to see!

Remember that Archer goal v Pompey like it was yesterday...id moved from behind the goal at half-time and went onto the same Floodlight Pylon !!! There were quite a few more on it that day with it being a large crowd- some boys had climbed up a few higher levels than usual .The atmosphere was electric..Pompey had not long come down two divs and it was possibly our first win v them. One of my first away trips with Dad was the 1-1 draw at their place. 11 yrs old and hooked ! Unfortunate we didn't go up with them..bloody Grimsby and Rafferty!
i went on the pylon a couple more times in the following season v Peterborough 3-3 and Bradford PA 2-2.

In terms of goals, the 3-7 against Argyle and the 11-0 v Margate along with the 7-2 against Fareham and the 7-1 v Donny are probably the big ones.

Others would be Besties debut against Newport and the 3-3 draw with Scunthorpe which saw Ian Botham play professional football.

Chuck in the 3-3 with Southport and the bomb scare or a 1-1 testimonial draw with Norwich which saw some of the worst fighting I have ever witnessed at Dean Court or the 0-0 with Sheffield United which saw some of the most pathetic handbags ever thrown at the "Theatre of Deans"

Just read through the fixtures for that season and it is amazing how many I can remember there being trouble at. Football really has changed.

;