Fernheath Road Playing Fields

The Parkstone & Heatherlands Co-Op was quite a large local business organisation set up with stores and milk delivery across the BCP area so I assume Fernheath Road was originally their sports ground. You had Telephone Sports at Pelhams and Bournemouth Water Co at Francis Avenue. Lots of works teams played Bournemouth and Dorset parks football.

The Cherries had a Boscombe B side in the local BFA league.
They did indeed, I remember watching Kieron Baker playing centre forward for them a couple of times when I was a kid

They did indeed, I remember watching Kieron Baker playing centre forward for them a couple of times when I was a kid
Kieron played centre forward and scored four goals in a 7-1 win over Bransgore on 21 Dec 74, for Reg Tyrrell’s resurrected “A” team in the Bournemouth Senior League. Interestingly, in the reverse fixture at Bransgore on 30th November, regular keepers Bob Iles and Steve Chalk played half a game each up front and both scored in a 4-2 defeat.

I've got a fair few memories of A and B team matches at Fernheath Road in the mid 1960s but there is one in particular that stands out and always brings a smile to my lips when I recall it.
It was an A team Hants League 2nd Division game vs Christchurch in the Spring of 1967.
In goal for Boscombe that day was a young Ron Tilsed who, it is fair to say, had a very high opinion of his own abilities, and was not shy of sharing that opinion with anyone in earshot. Ron clearly thought that his status as a Boscombe apprentice made him a cut above the amateurs of Christchurch even though they were of course of the same standard playing wise as him at that time. He spent much of the game making loud derogatory comments about his opponents abilities, but saved his maximum scorn and derision for the Christchurch substitute who came on midway through the second half. With the score at 2-1 to Boscombe, Christchurch manager Brian Farmer turned to the bench and brought on his club's old stalwart, Buffer Parrett. Buffer was a veteran by then, already in his mid 30s, but his stocky build and shiny bald head made him look quite a lot older, an appearnce that belied his strength, fitness and athleticism.
At the sight of Buffer entering the pitch young Ron yelled out at the top of his voice for everyone in the ground to hear "WTF are they bringing on now?"
Shortly afterwards Christchurch gained a corner. Coming up from the back Buffer outjumped the whole Boscombe defence, Tilsed included, and powered a header into the back of the net, earning Christchurch a point and depriving Boscombe of one.
Funnily enough, a few years later I witnessed another embarrassment for Ron, this time at Fratton Park during his short spell with Pompey, in a second division match against Fulham. One of the Fulham players fired a long speculative shot straight at him, but as he went down on his knees to save the shot it hit a divot just in front of him, bouncing up and sailing straight over his head into the net, much to the disgust of all the Pompey fans present.
It's really strange how a few minor events like that from all the the thousands of games seen over the years stick in the memory when most of the incidents witnessed disappear without trace!

I've got a fair few memories of A and B team matches at Fernheath Road in the mid 1960s but there is one in particular that stands out and always brings a smile to my lips when I recall it.
It was an A team Hants League 2nd Division game vs Christchurch in the Spring of 1967.
In goal for Boscombe that day was a young Ron Tilsed who, it is fair to say, had a very high opinion of his own abilities, and was not shy of sharing that opinion with anyone in earshot. Ron clearly thought that his status as a Boscombe apprentice made him a cut above the amateurs of Christchurch even though they were of course of the same standard playing wise as him at that time. He spent much of the game making loud derogatory comments about his opponents abilities, but saved his maximum scorn and derision for the Christchurch substitute who came on midway through the second half. With the score at 2-1 to Boscombe, Christchurch manager Brian Farmer turned to the bench and brought on his club's old stalwart, Buffer Parrett. Buffer was a veteran by then, already in his mid 30s, but his stocky build and shiny bald head made him look quite a lot older, an appearnce that belied his strength, fitness and athleticism.
At the sight of Buffer entering the pitch young Ron yelled out at the top of his voice for everyone in the ground to hear "WTF are they bringing on now?"
Shortly afterwards Christchurch gained a corner. Coming up from the back Buffer outjumped the whole Boscombe defence, Tilsed included, and powered a header into the back of the net, earning Christchurch a point and depriving Boscombe of one.
Funnily enough, a few years later I witnessed another embarrassment for Ron, this time at Fratton Park during his short spell with Pompey, in a second division match against Fulham. One of the Fulham players fired a long speculative shot straight at him, but as he went down on his knees to save the shot it hit a divot just in front of him, bouncing up and sailing straight over his head into the net, much to the disgust of all the Pompey fans present.
It's really strange how a few minor events like that from all the the thousands of games seen over the years stick in the memory when most of the incidents witnessed disappear without trace!
No, Mr T was certainly not lacking in self confidence. One day a group of us kids were poring over a copy of Soccer Star after watching a training session. Ron ambled over, hoping to be asked for his autograph. "Ah, Old Trafford" he exclaimed, peering over our shoulders. "I haven't played there yet".

;